E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > dealer changing pricing - ethics (preowned)

03-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

dealer changing pricing - ethics (preowned)

So....I guess its a rant and its not finished yet but listen to this!

So I have been eyein' a car thats been at a BMW dealer for 90plus days. I am now close to my lease ending and am looking to buy this pre-owned car. We worked out a price, I got a purchase order (not signed) a few weeks ago. I called today to press a bit harder, and see if I could negotiate a little more. In the end, they said the price of the car is now actually 1k more than the price I was quoted and they are going to not sell it to me because all of a sudden there is a lot of interested and they can get more. Is that seriously how car dealers do business? The manager said "I never signed it". He said hes not raising the price on me...hes actually 1k lower than the listed price, even though we worked out a deal at 2k less then listed sale price. I work in luxury, I cant EVER imagine doing this to one of my customers.......

Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi 2008 Coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
rant rant rant rant! Either they got an offer for it or they saw you were very interested in the car and if they can squeeze more out of you last minute. What car was it? Would you call it a hot item or just another bmw being sold?

I could be wrong, when I get bored I call dealerships for car sales and see how low they will go just for the hell of it. Yes I'm weird...so what!?

It's on you if you really want it, if the price originally discussed was just verbal and nothing was ever signed they can really do anything they want (sadly). You can make a rant to the manager and see if they can shave that 1k back off and sell it to you right away.

I'm sure there are more experienced people here than me to offer some input.

P.s maybe this could have to do with it being the beginning of a new month and probably less pressure to sell it? Giving the sales person more time to ask for more money. Not sure how that works, never worked in sales.
Current 2008 Bmw 328xi Coupe Sport N51 /w 3 stage IM | VMR 710 w/ Conti DWS | AA Tune Stage 2 | AA Signature Exhaust | Red Cyba scoops | Lux V4 | Euro-box mod w/ Silicone intake hose | Eibach pro kit w/ Bilstein Sport | Carbon Fiber Hood powerdome | Mtech Bumper w/ Akyrim CF lip
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
rowingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 xi

call and ask to speak to the GM about what happened . . complain to him about this . . threaten to call the BBB . . do that and you will probably get the price that was quoted.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep

We just got 3 inches last night, its the dead of winter and im looking at a 335 e93 convertible. Im sure after 3plus months its a hot item......kidding.

I guess its sad to say, but yes they can do whatever they want. If they now have interest and an offer on the table take it but dont squeeze the current buyer who has cash (pre-approval and ready to buy) in hand.

I would NEVER do that to a customer of mine. I am in sales, and my reputation is on the line. For 1k on a 25k item I would never risk the damage. I also went to this dealer (other location but still) based on a referral from a friend who bought a 120k plus m6. Hes pissed too, hes ready to call the dealership for me (not that I need help). Anyway this isn't the way you do business. period.

Thats my 2 cents....

Going to Audi tomorrow to drive an a5 vert. Ill see how they treat me.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post

So I have been eyein' a car thats been at a BMW dealer for 90plus days. I am now close to my lease ending and am looking to buy this pre-owned car. We worked out a price, I got a purchase order (not signed) a few weeks ago. I called today to press a bit harder, and see if I could negotiate a little more. In the end, they said the price of the car is now actually 1k more than the price I was quoted and they are going to not sell it to me because all of a sudden there is a lot of interested and they can get more. Is that seriously how car dealers do business? The manager said "I never signed it". He said hes not raising the price on me...hes actually 1k lower than the listed price, even though we worked out a deal at 2k less then listed sale price. I work in luxury, I cant EVER imagine doing this to one of my customers.......

Opinions?
They are sales people: they have no ethics. Its the nature of the business. The smart ones will look at the long term but if the dealership is up or out, they are all about making sales and making money.

You signed nothing: they have either some more people interested or its a ploy. Just like you have the power to walk, they have the power to sell to someone else at whatever price.

Why get all hot and bothered about it: if you are serious about the price you want, then go there with money in hand, ask to see the manager, say you verbally agreed on a price and here you are ready to buy and drive away right this moment.

If that car is there, and the price is right (e.g. the guy didn't screw up previously agreeing to a number that really does not work for them), then you will leave with the car. They want to move inventory.

good luck,

- b
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am a "sales person". I like to consider myself a professional. Perhaps thats why I have a clientele and I am not a clerk. Its actually the used car sales manager, not even the sales associate. Regardless, you are right and I have taken a step back. There are other cars out there and I slept fine last night. Just thought Id share my experience because I thought it was interesting and such a different experience than I anticipated. Just got done with Sunday morning yoga, I feel better now
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
JazStar740
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is/1994 E32 740iL

Sounds like they have another offer on the table and both are below listed price and they are trying to get the most they can for it. If it has been there for over 90 days and they have no interest in it they will be willing to deal. Just let them know you are willing to pay the price you all agreed or you are walking and let it go. If you have your loan pre-approved or cash on hand let them know that also, so they know it is a serious and concrete offer. If they do not have an offer they will call you back and deal with you. Just stick to your guns and they will make the deal if they do not sense that they can squeeze more out of you... Else if you are afraid you will loose the car just pay the extra 1k and get it over with...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
cialz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i 07

Sounds like you tried to Squeez them and ended up getting squeezed. If you want to hold them to that original price then you have to also be responsible in agreeing to that price. Sounds like you didn't since you called back to squeeze them? Hold them to the same ethics you hold yourself?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post

Opinions?

From a legal perspective, the PO may be interpreted as an offer since they had a price. Doesn't matter if they didn't sign it - if the dealer logo/info is on the PO, that should be good enough. I suggest you send them a letter by registered mail indicating that you accept the offer they made you on such and such a date. In terms of contract law, offer + acceptance = binding contract. This is not legal advice and I suggest you go talk to a lawyer in your state that specializes in contract law, but I think you can easily make a case that upon acceptance of their offer, a contract arose.
      03-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #10
SMH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Maybe they got irritated with the length of time of the deal. Also you shouldn't go to a dealer until you are ready to buy that day. Why deal with a dealer for a stretch of time because they can always change their mind even if they promise you a deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMH View Post
Maybe they got irritated with the length of time of the deal. Also you shouldn't go to a dealer until you are ready to buy that day. Why deal with a dealer for a stretch of time because they can always change their mind even if they promise you a deal.
I think its fair to look around a little when buying a car. Its not a T-shirt. Its a big purchase. We are talking about a car that starts at 50k with options past 65k so its reasonable to compare vehicles because there are so many options, check condition, etc (buying used). If they were irritated with the time between the visit and the deal they shouldn't be in sales. I am in sales, people come see me a gazillion times before purchasing a diamond or a timepiece, and I am happy to help because good service builds relationships. I would never tell a client to not come visit unless they are ready to buy, but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #12
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep

In the end it was a blessing in disguise because I finally got my car delivered (yesterday) and ended up with a fantastic e93 that's a year newer, in better condition, and $7500 more in options, and its STILL covered under CPO till the end of the year. It has better tires, windscreen, new floor mats, and a more interesting color combo. So, as upset as I was at the time, I feel I ended up in a good spot.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #13
SMH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Hope I didn't come across as rude I understand that you want to look around believe me I was in the same boat. Glad to hear you found the right car and hope you enjoy it for a long time
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #14
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep

You totally didn't come across that way. Just expressing my thoughts on the whole thing. All good ;-
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #15
roll_the_dice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 EBII

Garage List
Congrats! Show pics or it never happened.
Drives: 2011 Porsche 958, 1965 Chevy C10, 1988 Porsche 944 Sold:2010 e90 Montego Blue, 2013 F30 EBII, 2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST, 2006 Mini R50,2004 VW Touareg, 2012 Camaro Convertible, 2008 Porsche 911 Convertible, 2007 Corvette, 2004 BMW e64 convertible, 2000 Dodge Dakota, 1999 Ford F150, 1999 Porsche Boxster, 1999 Ferrari Modena, 1992 BMW e36, 1990 Nissan 240sx, 1979 Celica, 1974 Mustang II
My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:22 AM   #16
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep

It all worked out. I had to settle for this clunker. ohh well. Tasman green with walnut tan interior. Every option (most of which I don't need) and a year newer with the updated Idrive and still under CPO. The one they were offering me didnt have many of the extra bells and whistles like park assist, the cruise with distance sensors, etc

Last edited by elite.; 03-30-2014 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #17
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Love that color, rare... nice work.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #18
SMH
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Looks great
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #19
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

i like your clunker.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #20
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep

Its fine. Gets me to work . Got it tinted. Looks amazing and really enjoying it. Almost about to drop the top ....
Appreciate 0