E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Any Architects on this forum?

09-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #23
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
software architect count?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #24
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT

architects
real men do structural engineering
just joking, of course... sort of.

Certified V1 Zombie
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #25
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
the heck is structural engineering?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #26
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
beams, foundations, seismic code calculation, model review...etc etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #27
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
isnt that building engineering?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #28
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
isnt that building engineering?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #29
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
I am trying to get into the field of Architectural Visualization.. Any tips? Heard it pays well and i would love to do it.
do you mean renderings? yeah i heard they pay well for that. so ffar i only know sketch up which is pretty rough/casual for professional presentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyaa View Post
Yup, Architect here. Commercial and forensic support....
what's forensic support?

Quote:
engineering is pretty much all of the boring stuff that architects are too lazy to calculate and think about. lol. J/K

in a serious note, a building has just too many things in it it would take too much time for architects to do everything, thats why we have engineers to do the other stuff while we focus on design on the most part. consider that we cram centuries of design concepts into our brain in a few years of schooling.
      09-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #30
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
structural engineers are pretty smart and are the ones who won the physics/science fairs, and the architects are usually the creative ones that won the art competitions etc etc.. both seem similar but are relatively different, honestly, I think I'd love to be a Structural Engineer, but I love to design so I'm sticking with Architecture school and plus, we get to do all the fun stuff, while the engineers get to work around our ideas an architect and an engineer is like cat and dogs, architects being the dogs
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #31
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft View Post
do you mean renderings? yeah i heard they pay well for that. so ffar i only know sketch up which is pretty rough/casual for professional presentation.

what's forensic support?

engineering is pretty much all of the boring stuff that architects are too lazy to calculate and think about. lol. J/K

in a serious note, a building has just too many things in it it would take too much time for architects to do everything, thats why we have engineers to do the other stuff while we focus on design on the most part. consider that we cram centuries of design concepts into our brain in a few years of schooling.
architects are more focused on the artistic design of the building (just like concepts of a car)....then the engineers work with architects to figure out how a crazy shaped building will actually work and stands tall....sometimes they overlap their work a bit too....

for example "the bird's nest" in Beijing...it looks just like a bunch of steel wrapped together....but if u look closer and carefully....u will find every piece of steel is shaped in a certain way to maintain the building's structure integrity....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #32
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
structural engineers are pretty smart and are the ones who won the physics/science fairs, and the architects are usually the creative ones that won the art competitions etc etc.. both seem similar but are relatively different, honestly, I think I'd love to be a Structural Engineer, but I love to design so I'm sticking with Architecture school and plus, we get to do all the fun stuff, while the engineers get to work around our ideas an architect and an engineer is like cat and dogs, architects being the dogs
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #33
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I was an engineer. The difference is engineers build weapons, architects build targets.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #34
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Three engineers were sitting around, discussing what type of engineer God is.

The first engineer said "God is an electrical engineer. Look at the way the electricity operates the brain, heart, and other muscles".

The second engineer said "God is a mechanical engineer. The body is a system of pivots and fulcrums, works off of leverage, and is a perfectly designed kinematic structure".

The third engineer said "God is a civil engineer". The other two looked at him in disbelief, asking why. He responded "who else would route the waste water through the recreaction area?"

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #35
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post

The first engineer said "God is an electrical engineer. Look at the way the electricity operates the brain, heart, and other muscles".

The second engineer said "God is a mechanical engineer. The body is a system of pivots and fulcrums, works off of leverage, and is a perfectly designed kinematic structure".

The third engineer said "God is a civil engineer". The other two looked at him in disbelief, asking why. He responded "who else would route the waste water through the recreaction area?"
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #36
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
My title should be GOD...."Good Old Designer"...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #37
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
my instructor told us that the architects think engineers are weird because they sit down all day figuring things out while engineers think that architects are weird sitting all day designing and building models.

i also read in a live sound magazine that acousticians (sound engineers) think that architects are deaf because they design horrible sounding structures that even the best sound system cant sound good while the architects think that acousticians are blind because they put their sound deadening materials all over the place against the structure's aesthetics.
      09-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #38
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post

Quote:
my instructor told us that the architects think engineers are weird because they sit down all day figuring things out while engineers think that architects are weird sitting all day designing and building models.

i also read in a live sound magazine that acousticians (sound engineers) think that architects are deaf because they design horrible sounding structures that even the best sound system cant sound good while the architects think that acousticians are blind because they put their sound deadening materials all over the place against the structure's aesthetics.
haha, so true
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #39
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Do you need at least a B.S degree to get a good paid architect job? Is there a 2 year program for architects?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #40
MnK6
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 엠쓰리

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
Do you need at least a B.S degree to get a good paid architect job? Is there a 2 year program for architects?
There is no such thing as good paid architect job
      09-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #41
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnK6 View Post
There is no such thing as good paid architect job
+1 Or a 2 year degree for that matter. The proper way of becoming an architect is going through a professional, nationally sanctioned programmed which gives you a B.A. (Bachelor of Architecture) through a 5 year program.
On a side note, there are ways of making money being an architect but usually not through working for someone else - unless you work for a good number of years in a large, national or multi-national firm with healthy business prospects in corporate/ institutional work. Also, a good number of architects who end up in design-build/ development of their own projects, usually do better than ones getting a fee for doing the work for someone else (i.e., Client).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #42
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
software architect count?
There is not such a thing. You will be sued by CA Board of Architecture for using the word "Architect" and not being a licensed architect.
Just ask Bill Gates. He knows it best
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #43
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Ya i meant renderings. Make it look veryy photorealistic. I'm trying to get into that field but don't where to start. I don't know where to find clients

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #44
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
There is not such a thing. You will be sued by CA Board of Architecture for using the word "Architect" and not being a licensed architect.
Just ask Bill Gates. He knows it best
yup. unless you are highly skilled and super lucky. i did a 2 year program at a community college and graduated with a certificate as an architectural technician. i can also be called an architectural designer but can never use "architect" as my title. the board is really strict about it. also, to get a BS you need to complete 5 years of school and finish internship and then take 9 exams to get the license. i think they still allow 2 years of community college and 5 years of work experience to take the licensing exam but that is going to change soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Ya i meant renderings. Make it look veryy photorealistic. I'm trying to get into that field but don't where to start. I don't know where to find clients
my suggestion would be to work at an architectural firm. show them some samples coz they dont just let people in without a background in architecture. so unless you can make it really good they might let you work for them partially or give you a contract. try to talk to a lot of them if you dont want to work full time for one.