E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Any Architects on this forum?

09-12-2008, 12:06 AM   #67
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearcraft View Post
speaking of lawyers. i heard a lot of big architectural firms staff full time lawyers now.
yah....coz many notes and design on issued drawings have legal binding on them....the fabricator and field contractors must follow all design notes and instructions....they can request deviation if necessary....
if the shit hits the fan when there's a worker did not follow the notes...the company's lawyers will cover the engineers and designer's ass coz they did put the notes on it.....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #68
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
and the lawyers are also in the company to make sure the notes are good enough to cover the company's ass....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #69
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
how about animating the incident? what program do you use for it?
No animations are necessary. There really isn't any reason for it.

Quote:
speaking of lawyers. i heard a lot of big architectural firms staff full time lawyers now.
Another reason is to push the project through the redtape: planning dept., building dept, review committees, multiple jurisdiction reviews, etc.. Lawyers are really good at this kind of paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #70
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

did you guys get a minor while finishing your degree? i want to have one but havent decided on one and when to start. im thinking on starting 4th year after the crazy 3rd year work. maybe some acoustics so i can consult on auditorium design, any music related stuff i guess. any suggestions on what may separate me from the rest so i wont have too much competition? lol
      09-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #71
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
did you guys get a minor while finishing your degree? i want to have one but havent decided on one and when to start. im thinking on starting 4th year after the crazy 3rd year work. maybe some acoustics so i can consult on auditorium design, any music related stuff i guess. any suggestions on what may separate me from the rest so i wont have too much competition? lol
Getting a minor is more of a personal choice, IMHO. Acoustic or Lighting related ones are definitely good. My brother-in-law studied architecture and had a minor in Computer Science. This helped his career tremendously during hard economic times of early 90's. He made himself practically invaluable to his company since he did double duty as their IT Dept. head. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #72
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
acoustics? leave that to the engineers, architects don't make buildings to sound good , however, I do suppose it wouldn't hurt in the long-run.. IT field isnt a bad idea either..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 01:02 AM   #73
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
acoustics? leave that to the engineers, architects don't make buildings to sound good , however, I do suppose it wouldn't hurt in the long-run.. IT field isnt a bad idea either..
another reason im considering acoustics is that because i run our Church's live sound and also play music. so im really thinking of taking down two birds with one stone.

IT sounds good too but i dont think i want to get to the heavy programming side. i was thinking just earlier of getting a background in gaming design just to get my design into an interactive environment where a client can do a walk-through in the building similar to a game.
      09-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #74
ae8t6ix
Friends don't let friends apex early
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325I

Garage List
1985 Corolla GT-s  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Minor in business, if you decide to open your own firm you'll need to understand the business side of the profession. We make good designers but poor businessmen and typically you need both to be successful.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #75
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae8t6ix View Post
Minor in business, if you decide to open your own firm you'll need to understand the business side of the profession. We make good designers but poor businessmen and typically you need both to be successful.
i know my former boss has a masters in architecture and a bachelors in business. he is a good business man. flies his plane from san luis obispo to work in his tustin office during weekdays and has a hotel around venice or malibu beach i think. i never heard a word of respect from his employees though when i worked for him. a good business man he is.

anyway, i'd like to work for multiple big firms at the same time. maybe a consultant for lighting in architecture or acoustics or a rendering artist.
      09-24-2008, 01:04 AM   #76
MooseCaboose
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with a doge

alright guys, its late night and at the top of my head i cant seem to find an answer. and instead of a new thread, i think my problem fits perfectly with this thread.

heres the run down, Currently im finishing my first year if design and im in the process of going for the BA in architecture. Though my design background will most likely enhance my application, i need some solid construction or related work experience.

the problem is, i cannot think of any job positions that will get my hands dirty. even helping out during construction is good. what would you recommend or positions you know of that is suitable for a student with no construction experience?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #77
ae8t6ix
Friends don't let friends apex early
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325I

Garage List
1985 Corolla GT-s  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Just hit up a contractor and see if they need some extra muscle, you'll learn more there than any drawing of details.

I had a internship with a construction management company and I spent a large amount my time in the field with the building inspector learning about things he looks for. The other part of the time I'd help out the sub contractors with random work. Setting rebar, pouring new concrete, framing. Learned more there than any internship I ever had.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #78
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Just hit up a contractor and see if they need some extra muscle, you'll learn more there than any drawing of details.

I had a internship with a construction management company and I spent a large amount my time in the field with the building inspector learning about things he looks for. The other part of the time I'd help out the sub contractors with random work. Setting rebar, pouring new concrete, framing. Learned more there than any internship I ever had.
+1 Getting some real world construction experience helps you become a better designer in the long run. I had an old boss that used to tell us, "you never appreciate the guys at the field until you pick and lift up a sheet of drywall by yourself". Getting your hands dirty is big one in my books. Even if you can not get a construction job, helping a handyman with small remodel projects like building fences, etc. would help. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #79
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Jobs I had:
General labor for construction company... sucked.
General labor for pre-fab concrete plant...really sucked.
"Office boy" for engineering and architecture firms; good basis for what they do.. it entailed deliveries, receptionist, typing, filing, printshop, modeling and even backup drafting.
Irrigation installer; best job... water & tan
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 01:55 AM   #80
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep

Quote:

+1 good idea.

ive been planning to do that. i had some experience building in philippines with h-blocks and concrete but the way they do things here is just different. i do small things around the house but its really different. plus, building something while getting your hands dirty and see it getting done just gives you that satisfying feeling. my uncle used to work in an oil rig and he had many architects ask him how to put their designs together. lol