E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > 2013 Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix

09-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #67
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
"They're on a tour. They go around on a bus~"

Well, not a big fan of Vettel. But that was absolutely rude!!!

Like I said almost every season, the best team with the best car with the best driver with the best luck wins!
Credits should be due where it deserves. Its not like Red Bull was cheating?

They simply have the best car, have one of the best drivers on the grid, team was always superb, and consistent performance without the bad luck that Webber has.

On the other hand, if Alonso is winning consistently for several seasons. He will get the same treatment. Sorry, some low class fans just cannot accept the fact that there are teams that doing a better job than others. And RBR for the past several seasons, has the right ingredients for winning.
While I do agree with the "formula" (see what I did there? lol ) you presented and the due credit there is something to be said for the un-evenness in the teams' budgets. Some are nearly broke while others' coffers - like RBR - seem nearly bottomless. It creates a field and a season that is more about money than it is about the race and the thrill of the competition. That said, I think much of it will be address with the much discussed 2014 changes. Whether I think the field fair or not, SEB won rightly and definitely deserves credit. RBR ran a fantastic race with THIS driver and their tire strategy was genius.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #68
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
While I do agree with the "formula" (see what I did there? lol ) you presented and the due credit there is something to be said for the un-evenness in the teams' budgets. Some are nearly broke while others' coffers - like RBR - seem nearly bottomless. It creates a field and a season that is more about money than it is about the race and the thrill of the competition. That said, I think much of it will be address with the much discussed 2014 changes. Whether I think the field fair or not, SEB won rightly and definitely deserves credit. RBR ran a fantastic race with THIS driver and their tire strategy was genius.
Here's another problem with F1 now. FOTA is dysfunctional at the moment, even Christian Horner admitted that the 2014 engine change is a mistake. Back then teams are dog eating dogs.

But now developing new engines, engineers finding new loopholes and discoveries. It is fine for big teams like McLaren, Ferrari, RBR, Mercedes.

But for other strapped with cash, next year is make or break.
It will cost them a fortune to learn a whole new ball game.

If you have a chance, find SkySportsF1 "The F1 Show" last Friday. Where Tony Fernandez and Christian Horner talked briefly about 2014 regulation change and cost to a team. To Christian Horner, it is cheaper for Customer

Teams to just buy an old RB8 chassis, and have a better playing field to earn a few points. Or they can focus or refining other developments. So they will be probably one year or half a season behind. Not like now, they are in a cash burning black hole.
      09-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #69
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Very interesting. I'm developing a different perspective on '14.
Here is a Caterham article from SBS:

"Caterham boss Tony Fernandes said Formula One "screwed up" the chance to keep costs under control as teams face a dramatic escalation next year.
The Malaysian entrepreneur said teams failed to come together and make a concerted effort to keep costs down, and also agreed to the extra expense of introducing a new type of engine in 2014.
"I think the teams didn't get together. The teams had a wonderful opportunity to try and create a fair, equitable split so that the sport is sustainable," he said ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix.

"Teams looked at things on an individual basis as opposed to working together in FOTA (Formula One Teams Association) and trying to find a win-win situation for everyone and create a very healthy environment in a sustainable sport.

"We screwed it up, it's as simple as that."

Fernandes has said in-fighting in FOTA was to blame for the failure to implement cost controls. Several teams are struggling for money, and HRT went to the wall last year.
Teams have recently finished negotiations for a new Concorde Agreement to govern the sport and decide how to share profits in coming seasons.
And with an eye on environmental concerns, they will switch to smaller, 1.6-litre V6 turbo engines and limit their fuel supply.
"I've been consistent since day one that I've been in Formula One that costs are too high," Fernandes, who also helms budget airline AirAsia and English football club QPR, said late on Friday.
"When I came into Formula One, people talked to me about costs coming down but I don't think there's been a single year it's come down.

"I think next year will be probably the highest year -- so I think there's something fundamentally wrong. I don't think it's just the engine, by the way, I think the teams lost out an opportunity to get costs under control.

"I think self-interest overrode the sport and we are as much to blame for this problem as an engine."
I think the teams screwed it up," he said. "We had a group called FOTA and tried to screw each other, so we are the only ones to be blamed.

"People in business try to make as much money as possible and we have been no different to anybody else. The teams missed an opportunity - but ultimately the owners of the sport have to get real about what is happening for the health of the sport."

He added: "It is crazy money to run an F1 team now in these times of economic doubts. How many new sponsors have come into this sport over the last few years? If you go back to when I watched it, there were stickers galore and everyone was fighting to be a sponsor.

"But reality bites, and people have to think a little bit longer term than they are right now."
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #70
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Have you read about the new (pending final approval) penalty system for next year and the front/rear tire mismatch? I guess the new turbos and the increased torque will wear down the rears faster so it makes sense
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #71
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have you read about the new (pending final approval) penalty system for next year and the front/rear tire mismatch? I guess the new turbos and the increased torque will wear down the rears faster so it makes sense
Not so sure about the front/rear tires.

But definitely about penalty system like a record on their super licence. I have mixed opinions/feelings about that. On one hand, it make sense for repeat offenders to think twice before they drive "recklessly" or making stupid mistakes.

However, on the other hand, I do feel the grid penalty after three reprimand regulation is sufficient.

I'm still open towards the penalies/warnings of the new system carries to the next season. Which Premier League football (soccer), and other major European Leagues, UEFA, and FIFA also carries similar system.
For example Luis Suarez got a 10-game ban last season. Which has only a few games left of the league. Thus the ban carried over to this 2013-14 season.
I will see how does this work for Formula 1, in terms of grid-penalties, warnings/reprimands being carried over to the next season.
      09-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #72
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Maybe they should also adopt the Alonso taxi rule for next year -
If you are leading the race and pass a disabled car you must stop and pick up the driver and return him to the pits.
      09-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #73
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...ajor_accident/

Reprimand thoroughly deserved IMO.

Last edited by E90SLAM; 09-25-2013 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #74
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
I agree. Or the headlines could have been "Hamilton puts Webber in Hospital"
      09-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #75
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
If it had been Vettel, he would have put him in the hospital.
      09-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #76
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I thought Felipe drove well for Ferrari. Because he sure didn't drive for himself.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #77
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Man that was close
      09-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #78
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
If it had been Vettel, he would have put him in the hospital.
Unfortunately, Webber flagged down Alonso. Who was BEHIND Vettel.
So Vettel never saw this happened as he paraded to parc ferme on his victory lap!

Some other forums argued they are the best drivers in the world. And nothing happened. Driver with their caliber should able to dodge these things.
IMO, the cool down lap could be one of those laps has the most potential danger. After a humid 2 hour race, everyone losing concentration and relax a bit after checker flag.
      09-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #79
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
I was mystified by the Hulkenberg instruction to give Perez the position "back".
The Hulk didn't gain any position anyways. He was defending, and Perez did his usual "Imma dive my nose in, dodge or crash or go wide." And on overhead shot,

Perez was not even side-by-side, about a few feet behind, and pushed Hulk wide.

I simply do not see any position or advantage gained by Hulkenberg.
Yeah. I thought the call with Massa/Gro at Monza was pushing it, but this call was unnecessary IMO. I don't think he should've had to give that back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
And Martin Brundles comment in response to the booing "please don't do that, it's not correct" ha

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12...le-unimpressed
My favorite quote, "If they boo, it's a compliment - that's the way I take it, they are jealous because I win."

HATERS GONE HATE

I'm not Seb fan (or hater for that matter) but he's right, if they're booing then he's doing something right.
      09-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #80
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
Yeah. I thought the call with Massa/Gro at Monza was pushing it, but this call was unnecessary IMO. I don't think he should've had to give that back.

My favorite quote, "If they boo, it's a compliment - that's the way I take it, they are jealous because I win."

HATERS GONE HATE

I'm not Seb fan (or hater for that matter) but he's right, if they're booing then he's doing something right.
Correcting you, I believe that was Hungary that the stewards penalized GRO.

One point Ted Kravitz pointed out in his post race notebook regarding booing. He spend a day or so with Vettel on a PR day in Singapore (which he was doing RBR PR work coordinator). He found Vettel is actually a very likeable chap. He wants to win of course (no one wants to lose anyways ).

He thinks Vettel missing the point, if vettel can show more of true self. Like other dominant sportsman, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Usain Bolt, etc. He can be a likeable person.

Anyhow, I also think there's also a group of people who just jump on a "booing" bandwagon without knowing the sport at all.

Even Niki Lauda had his hat off to Vettel in Singapore (not literally hats off, but highly praised). That tells you a lot about a true classy character!!!
      09-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #81
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Correcting you, I believe that was Hungary that the stewards penalized GRO.
ninja edit: saw the reason for correction. nevermind. lol
      09-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #82
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
ninja edit: saw the reason for correction. nevermind. lol
Its all cool. But I really hate the stewards took the rules by the book.
      09-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #83
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I find it amusing that Webber would be penalized so harshly. He was down on his luck having burned and crashed on the LAST Lap while his team mate dominated the race. he was frustrated and basically stuck on the track. Alonso showed good will, comraderie good sportsmanship and - let's face it - it made for good television. I get the saftey aspect and all, but the stewards should not have been so severe.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #84
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I find it amusing that Webber would be penalized so harshly. He was down on his luck having burned and crashed on the LAST Lap while his team mate dominated the race. he was frustrated and basically stuck on the track. Alonso showed good will, comraderie good sportsmanship and - let's face it - it made for good television. I get the saftey aspect and all, but the stewards should not have been so severe.
After looking at the footage.

I think reprimand for both Alonso and Webber is justified.
It just happens to be Webber's third reprimand. Thus the grid penalty.

Perhaps if the footage didn't show any cars (Mercs) dodging and had to execute evasive meanouver. They might be able to get away with just a fine.
      09-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #85
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0