E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Garbage Truck Philosophy

04-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

The Garbage Truck Philosophy

"Garbage Truck.

One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport.
We were driving in the right lane when suddenly a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was really friendly.

So I asked, 'Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!' This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, 'The Law of the Garbage Truck.'

He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes they'll dump it on you. Don't take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Don't take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home, or on the streets.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day. Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so..... 'Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don't.'

Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!"

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Wise words that I'll admit I probably won't be able to follow too well some times.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Life's Lessions! We could all use the tail of this story to better our lives and the lives around us.
      04-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
in short: treat others how you want to be treated. and even if they dont treat you back as well as you did, just smile and push on.
      04-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

if i were 6, i'd fall for that philospohy.
      04-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
"Garbage Truck.

One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport.
We were driving in the right lane when suddenly a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was really friendly.

So I asked, 'Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!' This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, 'The Law of the Garbage Truck.'

He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes they'll dump it on you. Don't take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Don't take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home, or on the streets.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day. Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so..... 'Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don't.'

Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!"
Are you saying you think Taxi cab drivers are successful people?
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
These ones definitely are..
Attached Images

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Notice the entire thing is italicized and in quotes. . . so no, I dont think anything, but the Taxi cab driver who said that to his passenger must think so. And I dont think he necessarily means financial success. There are other types of success in life, and money is definitely not the most important one.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

I dont agree or disagree with this little story. Besides, its just food for thought.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #10
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Good philosophy.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #11
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTV View Post
Good philosophy.
mehhh, if you could actually follow it. Well atleast if you try to follow it most the time. Wish I could haha. . .

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
TofuTurkey
Gobble gobbledygook
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe

I think it's awesome. Most of the time people forget why they're chasing the kind of success they want. It's only a minority who makes an effort to be truly happy, and even less who are able to spread that happiness around.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #13
CRZ410S
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Vert

Would the Taxi driver have been as pleasant if he smashed into the idiot who pulled out?
      04-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZ410S View Post
Would the Taxi driver have been as pleasant if he smashed into the idiot who pulled out?
Probably not haha, matter of fact. . . . this whole story could just me a made up analogy. I mean, I do it all the time, I make analogies for ideas/concepts I'm trying to explain all the time. So, who knows. . . . .

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuTurkey View Post
I think it's awesome. Most of the time people forget why they're chasing the kind of success they want. It's only a minority who makes an effort to be truly happy, and even less who are able to spread that happiness around.
Good point. I used to always stress about things and get upset. Now I've learned to be more mellow about everything and be more happy. Works for me...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

Quote:
taxi drivers can be successful too. even garbage men and gardeners. depends on how you define success and what's important in your life.

some people are happy just the way they are.
      04-23-2008, 12:18 AM   #17
superboy.
I WANT AN E92!
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Subaru pfft....

^+1
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #18
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

One of the supervisors at work handed me a copy of this a few months back and I've had it sitting on my desk ever since.. Seems like this could be a good thread to share it in..

Attitude

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people will think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company, a church, or a home. the remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for the day. We cannot change the fact that people will act a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you.. We are in charge of our attitudes.
      04-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #19
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 S6 + 2017 340 M sport

you know... outside the borders of the US, there are some places where success is not solely based on how much money gets direct-deposited into your account every week.

we are so trained into thinking that success is entirely founded on your job title, salary, and material possessions that we often miss the bigger picture.

perhaps this taxi driver had a wife he loved, 2 kids who were respectful and intelligent, and he made enough money driving cab to keep everyone fed and happy... why can't that be a definition of success?

just my 0.02...
Appreciate 0