E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > So Sebastian Vettel will soon be a 4 time F1 champ.

10-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #111
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I still holds the opinion that its not RBR's fault that other teams arn't up to the challenge.
Sometimes might get a bit boring, but FOM can only do little.
Let Ferrari spend infinite money and test to their hearts content.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #112
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
This brings up an interesting point. Most other years, there are times within the season when the other teams catch-up (albeit briefly), such as with Brawn and the diffuser. Teams constantly improve, and sometimes a team will bring an improvement to a race which is significant enough to put them on equal footing with the top team. The closest I've seen of that this year is Mercedes in qualifying, but not in race form. So either Red Bull is matching every other teams' progress one-for-one, or no other teams are improving.
It is very hard to progress when there is a ban on in-season testing. They have to use race weekends to test parts. When they should be setting their car up for quali and the race.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #113
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
On the other hand, Vettel consistently pulls out a big gap at the start of each race, time and time again. He's driving a car that may have qualified a few 10ths faster than the rest, yet he can pull a 2 second gap on lap 1 nearly every time. It's not just a fast car - it doesn't mathematically hold!
Its voodoo I tell ya.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #114
cjwb1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 Sdrive35i

IMO, I think a lot of people get into the here and now moment, and throw around the word great too often. I think Vettel is on his way to greatness. He's a very good driver, along the likes of Alonso. The thing that's very difficult to assess with Vettel is just how superior the Red Bull cars are compared to the field, McLaren, Ferrari, Lotus, etc...no team has consistently challenge those cars over the past couple of years.

And I don't think Webber is a good driver, he's just decent. Definitely not a situation where you can fairly assess, like a Senna and Prost comparison. Two great drivers in their own rights.

Now what's going to be fun, is how Alonso and Kimi can coexist next year. Give those two the same car and watch them go. That's going be so much fun. I can't wait.

A step down from those two are Kimi, and Lewis Hamilton. I think those 4 are the top drivers currently in F1. I think Webber, Rosberg and Button are just decent drivers.

The influx of very talented drivers going to F1 is just very scarce due to issues, political and what not. Not just many like it used to be when I was watching in the 90s and way before that.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #115
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwb1984 View Post

Now what's going to be fun, is how Alonso and Kimi can coexist next year. Give those two the same car and watch them go. That's going be so much fun. I can't wait.
A step down from those two are Kimi, and Lewis Hamilton.
I'm not a fan of Hamilton by any means but he is widely thought of in F1 circles as being the fastest driver over a single lap and the driver most able to extract the maximum from any car...his ability to manage his tyres is still a little suspect though.
Given his performance against Alonso in his first season in F1 its weird that you rate Hamilton lower than the then much more experienced WC.
The only way to rate drivers is when they are in the same team with the same equipment and have the same opportunities (ie no team orders or rank) so it will indeed be interesting to see how Kimi stacks up against the recumbent Alonso. A driver I've always thought had massive potential is Roman - a great talent when he could avoid hitting other drivers and has really shone in the latter part of the season. How Kimi does against Alonso will bring into perspective the abilities of both Kimi and Roman.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #116
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwb1984 View Post
IMO, I think a lot of people get into the here and now moment, and throw around the word great too often. I think Vettel is on his way to greatness. He's a very good driver, along the likes of Alonso. The thing that's very difficult to assess with Vettel is just how superior the Red Bull cars are compared to the field, McLaren, Ferrari, Lotus, etc...no team has consistently challenge those cars over the past couple of years.

And I don't think Webber is a good driver, he's just decent. Definitely not a situation where you can fairly assess, like a Senna and Prost comparison. Two great drivers in their own rights.

A step down from those two are Kimi, and Lewis Hamilton. I think those 4 are the top drivers currently in F1. I think Webber, Rosberg and Button are just decent drivers.

The influx of very talented drivers going to F1 is just very scarce due to issues, political and what not. Not just many like it used to be when I was watching in the 90s and way before that.
Don't disagree that when determining who is great can be difficult given the disparity in equipment. How you define your scale of great, good, decent is up to you but in judging Webber you need to give due consideration to how the evolution of the sport has also impacted his ability to 'perform' at a top level. So take the tyre changes given its the most obvious one, the fact he cannot manage his tyres as well as Vettel, does that make him a not as good driver, perhaps but on the other hand it may just comes down to how you define what is good.

I think they are all good drivers with some better than others but don't believe its a scale of 1 to 10 where there are drivers that are 10 and drivers that are 1. F1 is based around the advancement of technology and in more recent times the arguable introduction of DRS and tyre degradation to name a couple in order to make the sport more 'exciting'/unpredictable has in some form dilluted it.
      10-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #117
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Let Ferrari spend infinite money and test to their hearts content.

They are missing the music of Maranello.
      10-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #118
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

BBC interview with Helmut Marko talking about VET and his new team mate for 2014 RIC. Gem of a quote.

"There is a good friendly relationship, and I think that will be good for the whole team that there is no tension any more and that the two drivers - at least as long as Sebastian as winning and Daniel is not beating him - I think their relationship will be very good."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24756035
      11-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #119
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

That's gold, I hope Riciardo beats him in Australia

Oh of course for the rest of the season, Go Aussie
Appreciate 0