E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > RIP Paul Walker

12-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #133
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
"Racing or not, speed was a factor in the crash, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office said. A 45 mph speed limit sign was attached to the light pole knocked down by the Porsche."

Oh god the irony...
Could have been equipment failure. Not sure is anybody could survive hitting a tree at 45mph in a Porsche Carrera GT. It's not like those cars are designed to mow down trees.... They could have been doing the speed limit when they hit the obstacles and still died in the fire. But driving too fast and losing control is certainly one possible explanation why they hit the tree and sign.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #134
StrifeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13E92 MCB M3 18 F80M3 Atlantis

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
Caravan anyone?
I am with a caravan. I was going to go on friday but anyday is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
After buying the M, I now consider oil companies drug dealers.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #135
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Could have been equipment failure. Not sure is anybody could survive hitting a tree at 45mph in a Porsche Carrera GT. It's not like those cars are designed to mow down trees.... They could have been doing the speed limit when they hit the obstacles and still died in the fire. But driving too fast and losing control is certainly one possible explanation why they hit the tree and sign.
I am sorry, but not buying it.

There is a clear correlation to the amount of speed and the amount of damage with a modern car.

That amount of damage is NOT indicative of 45mph.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #136
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

A supposed witness said the car was drifting at over 100 mph.
True or not, it was something similar.

45?....uh..no.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #137
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Looks like this was the location of the accident from pictures, below you can see the loop the industrial area forms, AE is located in this loop.

Looks like a long gradual turn, could have been going fast and hit some dust on the road and kicked the back end out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #138
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrifeM3 View Post
I am with a caravan. I was going to go on friday but anyday is good.
What time is the Friday caravan?
      12-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #139
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Amazing (from CNN article):

Remarkable generosity

Tales of Walker's philanthropy are not new. CNN confirmed one story from a decade ago when Walker noticed a young U.S. soldier shopping with his fiancee for a wedding ring in a Santa Barbara jewelry store.

"The groom was just back from duty in Iraq, and he was going to be deployed again soon and wanted to buy a wedding ring, but he said he just could not afford it," saleswoman Irene King told CNN. "I don't think the soldier realized how expensive those rings are, about $10,000."

The couple apparently did not know who Walker was, King said.

"Walker called the manager over and said, 'Put that girl's ring on my tab,'" she said. "Walker left all his billing info, and it was a done deal. The couple was stunned. She was thrilled and could not believe someone did this."

King called it "the most generous thing I have ever seen."
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #140
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

http://nypost.com/2013/12/02/mechani...-crash-report/

The cause of the crash was due to a mechanical failure of the CGT. The steering fluid leaked causing the steering wheel to lock up and they crashed.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #141
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Amazing (from CNN article):

Remarkable generosity

Tales of Walker's philanthropy are not new. CNN confirmed one story from a decade ago when Walker noticed a young U.S. soldier shopping with his fiancee for a wedding ring in a Santa Barbara jewelry store.

"The groom was just back from duty in Iraq, and he was going to be deployed again soon and wanted to buy a wedding ring, but he said he just could not afford it," saleswoman Irene King told CNN. "I don't think the soldier realized how expensive those rings are, about $10,000."

The couple apparently did not know who Walker was, King said.

"Walker called the manager over and said, 'Put that girl's ring on my tab,'" she said. "Walker left all his billing info, and it was a done deal. The couple was stunned. She was thrilled and could not believe someone did this."

King called it "the most generous thing I have ever seen."
The fact we didn't hear about this kind of thing before shows he was not the kind of person that hyped himself up. And that story is a great eulogy by itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #142
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschnell View Post
The fact we didn't hear about this kind of thing before shows he was not the kind of person that hyped himself up. And that story is a great eulogy by itself.
+1
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #143
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

I believe it is some conspiracy kill, something related to the illuminati stuff. The carrera gt is rear engine car, if the car hit the tree from the front, it is pretty hard for the car to catch the fire. There was also media posting his death article on Friday before the accident took place..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #144
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
People die all the time, there are 8 billion of us, the loss of two is pretty sad for family and friends, however Porsche only built 1270 Carrera GT's. There will never be any more Carrera GT's, new people are minted every second.

BTW RIP to Paul, but we're not talking about a superstar here, he made one really good cult movie, which was a remake of another classic (whose leading man also died young) and a bunch of sequels, plus being in a movie where we nearly saw Jessica Alba naked.
And can I ask you? How many of those 150,000 people, that died the same day as Paul Walker, made a similar societal impact whether it comes from movies, idolization, or relief from natural disasters.

The reason why we mourn when people like Paul Walker have passed is because they had such a large impact on our society, and have stimulated so many people to idolize him or dream because of him.

Millions of kids for example, dream of cars because of him (including me when I was younger).

Millions of Adults idolize him because of his passion towards cars, and the way he aided in natural disasters.

Your response just shows, how inconsiderate, immature and naive a person can be. If you don't have anything nice to say, you don't need to say it or say it in a educated and respectful manner.
      12-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #145
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

FWIW, I am of the opinion that had they been in a GTR, doing the same speed, this would not have happened. The AWD, and stability/traction mechanisms would have kept them on track (so to speak). Speed was an issue, but so was the car.

Quite honestly, the M3 is pretty much the power limit of what I think is safe to use on public roads in a RWD configuration, and that too, with the stability mechanisms engaged. I tried getting a little aggressive one time with everything full off, and it was quite unpredictable how the back end would behave over even the smallest road imperfections. And my speed was well within what one would consider reasonable.

Every type of car configuration has it pros and cons. While RWD cars enjoy more steering precision and a more dynamic feel, there comes a point where too high a power level makes this a less than optimal configuration, and sometimes just plain dangerous.

What may the best overall car in RWD configuration?...probably a Cayman S. The right weight, the right layout, the right power to truly optimize the benefits of RWD. I used to own a 350Z a number of years back. 300hp, 270lb-ft, and 245/275 tires. It was a perfect RWD car actually. I could use all the power, and still have full control of the vehicle.

A car like the CGT is just outright dangerous. It is known to be a very difficult to control car, even in the best hands. If you really take a look around at a lot of this exotic level of machinery that is a fantasy for many of us, you will also find that a disproportionate number of people die driving these types of cars. That should tell you something.
      12-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #146
iveman89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
http://nypost.com/2013/12/02/mechani...-crash-report/

The cause of the crash was due to a mechanical failure of the CGT. The steering fluid leaked causing the steering wheel to lock up and they crashed.
Heard the same story. Something about how the front of the car was on fire so fast, speculation was the fluid caught fire or something. Dont know how I feel about that or if it changes the story.

as for rate of speed vs damage done, the car is carbon fiber and hitting a tree at an angle forget about it. He probably could have been going 50-60 and car will look like it exploded it bits. What I find interesting is the cabin wasn't a breakaway design. You see supercars (Ferrari and Lamborghini) get in accidents and the cabin is intact. I know the carrera is open top.

another side note, my dad told me he had a carrera gt in the shop. Car went too wide at laguna seca and hit the tail on the wall or rail. He said it wasnt bad, but they totaled the car. $150,000+ for carbon fiber parts alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #147
iveman89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
And his son is 8 years old, by the way. Just imagine that.
I didnt know how old he was.. thats horrible. Heard he told his mom what happened too.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #148
StrifeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13E92 MCB M3 18 F80M3 Atlantis

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
What time is the Friday caravan?
I wouldnt say its a caravan. Me and one of my other friends. A caravan should be setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
After buying the M, I now consider oil companies drug dealers.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #149
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iveman89 View Post
Heard the same story. Something about how the front of the car was on fire so fast, speculation was the fluid caught fire or something. Dont know how I feel about that or if it changes the story..
Well, if the steering fluid leaked out there wouldnt be much left to catch fire, so I doubt that. Hydraulic steering failure is possible, but it would have to be sudden to cause the car to go off the road like that. I wonder whether the steering fluid is at any higher pressure than normal in that car.

Quote:
as for rate of speed vs damage done, the car is carbon fiber and hitting a tree at an angle forget about it. He probably could have been going 50-60 and car will look like it exploded it bits. What I find interesting is the cabin wasn't a breakaway design. You see supercars (Ferrari and Lamborghini) get in accidents and the cabin is intact. I know the carrera is open top..
Well, the fuel tank probably exploded somehow. I wonder if they used any kind of octane boost or race gas. Might not have happened with a diesel car, but who knows.

Quote:
another side note, my dad told me he had a carrera gt in the shop. Car went too wide at laguna seca and hit the tail on the wall or rail. He said it wasnt bad, but they totaled the car. $150,000+ for carbon fiber parts alone.
The number of hands that car went through is crazy. One owner put 200 miles on it before selling it. Probably the prior owners were "investors" trying to make a quick buck, but maybe some were drivers and decided it was too dangerous to drive.

Those cars cost enough, they should have an optional ejection seat, or at least a halon system.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #150
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Well, if the steering fluid leaked out there wouldnt be much left to catch fire, so I doubt that. Hydraulic steering failure is possible, but it would have to be sudden to cause the car to go off the road like that. I wonder whether the steering fluid is at any higher pressure than normal in that car.

Well, the fuel tank probably exploded somehow. I wonder if they used any kind of octane boost or race gas. Might not have happened with a diesel car, but who knows.

The number of hands that car went through is crazy. One owner put 200 miles on it before selling it. Probably the prior owners were "investors" trying to make a quick buck, but maybe some were drivers and decided it was too dangerous to drive.

Those cars cost enough, they should have an optional ejection seat, or at least a halon system.
The CGT they were driving has had multiple owners from the west coast to the east coast and back to the west coast. It also appears that particular CGT has stories (of the mechanical type) that I am sure will be investigated thoroughly .

"inquiring minds want to know" the folks on rennlist and 6speedonline have some interesting commentary on the crash/CGT as well. This accident has affected many people in various ways.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #151
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
It never recovered from the lame as Too Fast Too Furious sequal. The first was by far and away the best, how could it not be when it was a remake of Point Break which is a modern day classic.
Very true..lol
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #152
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Did you guys see this shit?!?!?!

http://modernwomandigest.com/five-re...l-walker-dead/
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #153
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Jesus, that's just so wrong
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #154
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
The fact that Paul Walker is dead doesn't affect me in the slightest, I really don't care but this is really over the top, and completely wrong, someone needs to be bitchslapped.
Appreciate 0