E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Need help with N55 Variation Identification

03-08-2024, 08:18 AM   #1
pwns
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi Coupe 6MT N55

Question Need help with N55 Variation Identification

Hello,

I need help verifying which exact N55 is in my car.

Long story short, I have a 2011 E92 335i N55. My engine was replaced with a rebuilt N55 from "newer" generation. It has EU6 injectors when my DME will only accept EU5 injectors.

I need to know if I can just swap them out with EU5 and if it will run fine?

Not sure if I can put EU5 injectors in a "newer" N55.

That being said. I'm not even sure which exact N55 is in my car and how to identify PWG vs EWG.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by pwns; 03-08-2024 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 11:28 AM   #2
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwns View Post
Hello,

I need help verifying which exact N55 is in my car.

Long story short, I have a 2011 E92 335i N55. My engine was replaced with a rebuilt N55 from "newer" generation. It has EU6 injectors when my DME will only accept EU5 injectors.

I need to know if I can just swap them out with EU6 and if it will run fine?

Not sure if I can put EU5 injectors in a "newer" N55.

That being said. I'm not even sure which exact N55 is in my car and how to identify PWG vs EWG.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Hello,

I do not think E9X N55 DME have built-in coding to be used with a EWG, so I would assume it's a PWG.

I am unsure if EWG is a complete electric motor actuation of the wastegate or if it retains the same wastegate as the PWG model and just actuates it using an electric component rather than pneumatic lines going from the pressure converter.

The best way to tell if it's EWG/PWG would be to get under your car on the front passenger side and take a peek and check on your turbocharger. You would be able to see the wastegate actuator and the EWG module if there is any. To be even more sure, if you have a pressure converter on the car and its vacuum line (not the one that goes in the valve cover) runs to the nipple of the wastegate then you know it's a PWG.
      03-08-2024, 12:39 PM   #3
pwns
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Hello,

I do not think E9X N55 DME have built-in coding to be used with a EWG, so I would assume it's a PWG.

I am unsure if EWG is a complete electric motor actuation of the wastegate or if it retains the same wastegate as the PWG model and just actuates it using an electric component rather than pneumatic lines going from the pressure converter.

The best way to tell if it's EWG/PWG would be to get under your car on the front passenger side and take a peek and check on your turbocharger. You would be able to see the wastegate actuator and the EWG module if there is any. To be even more sure, if you have a pressure converter on the car and its vacuum line (not the one that goes in the valve cover) runs to the nipple of the wastegate then you know it's a PWG.
I see, will check later today. Appreciate it!

Is it safe to assume EU5 injectors would work with any PWG N55?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 01:15 PM   #4
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

EWG has an entirely different actuator, and will look nothing like the pneumatic actuator. EWG is black plastic, without that cylindrical looking part.

By "newer" model n55, can you get any information about which particular car the new engine came from? I'm not sure when they switched from eu5 to eu6, or if that corresponded to e-chassis vs. f-chassis. The first year or two of f-chassis 335's (f30) still had PWG turbo. BUT... All f-chassis would have the newer style hpfp.

When they swapped engines, did you get the DME with the donor engine or did you keep your original DME?

Old e-chassis n55's came with the n54 style fuel pump, whereas newer e-chassis models (and I believe all f-chassis - somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) have a different kind. I believe this changed around 2013. The control schemes are different - if you're running a new style hpfp with a dme that works with old n54 style hpfp, that's a big problem. I'd imagine there would be codes from doing that, but maybe not? If somehow your car is able to run on the wrong style hpfp, that could definately be related to your lean codes in that other thread - but if it was the wrong style hpfp, I'm not sure if the engine would even be able to run? Since it runs, I'd assume it's the right kind, but worth confirming.

Last edited by wheela; 03-08-2024 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 02:19 PM   #5
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
EWG has an entirely different actuator, and will look nothing like the pneumatic actuator. EWG is black plastic, without that cylindrical looking part.

By "newer" model n55, can you get any information about which particular car the new engine came from? I'm not sure when they switched from eu5 to eu6, or if that corresponded to e-chassis vs. f-chassis. The first year or two of f-chassis 335's (f30) still had PWG turbo. BUT... All f-chassis would have the newer style hpfp.

When they swapped engines, did you get the DME with the donor engine or did you keep your original DME?

Old e-chassis n55's came with the n54 style fuel pump, whereas newer e-chassis models (and I believe all f-chassis - somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) have a different kind. I believe this changed around 2013. The control schemes are different - if you're running a new style hpfp with a dme that works with old n54 style hpfp, that's a big problem. I'd imagine there would be codes from doing that, but maybe not? If somehow your car is able to run on the wrong style hpfp, that could definately be related to your lean codes in that other thread - but if it was the wrong style hpfp, I'm not sure if the engine would even be able to run? Since it runs, I'd assume it's the right kind, but worth confirming.
Continuing on Wheela's thoughts, based on the fact you have weird injectors fitted to the engine it would be wise to double check the following and make sure of what version these components are so we can exactly pinpoint what is going on:

- What is the version of the injectors? [Seems to already be answered]
- What is the DME fitted on the vehicle? [Visual inspection or identification through scanning with MHD/INPA?]
- What is the HPFP fitted on the car? [Visual Inspection]
- What is the wastegate actuator on the car (EWG vs PWG)? [Visual Inspection]

Yeah as far as I am concerned, all 3 series F chassis come with the new style of HPFP and then E9X 3-series that are manufactured in 2013. This new style of HPFP can be upgraded with a Dorch Engineering part, and their website let us know the verions of HPFP through the years:

FROM THEIR WEBSITE, IF KIT FITS = NEW STYLE OF HPFP
Kit Fitment:

F87 – M2

F20/21 – 135i, 135xi
F22/23 – 235i, 235xi
F30/31/34 – 335i, 335xi
F32/33/36 – 435i, 435xi
F10/11 – 535i, 535xi *
F25/26 – X3/X4 35i *
F15/16 – X5/X6 35i

E8X – 135i *
E9X – 335i *
E84 – X1 35i *
E70/71 – X5/X6 35i *

*ONLY 2013+ models with OE Bosch HPFP
KIT NOT COMPATIBLE with 2011-2012 N55 Vehicles
      03-08-2024, 02:30 PM   #6
pwns
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Continuing on Wheela's thoughts, based on the fact you have weird injectors fitted to the engine it would be wise to double check the following and make sure of what version these components are so we can exactly pinpoint what is going on:

- What is the version of the injectors? [Seems to already be answered]
- What is the DME fitted on the vehicle? [Visual inspection or identification through scanning with MHD/INPA?]
- What is the HPFP fitted on the car? [Visual Inspection]
- What is the wastegate actuator on the car (EWG vs PWG)? [Visual Inspection]

Yeah as far as I am concerned, all 3 series F chassis come with the new style of HPFP and then E9X 3-series that are manufactured in 2013. This new style of HPFP can be upgraded with a Dorch Engineering part, and their website let us know the verions of HPFP through the years:

FROM THEIR WEBSITE, IF KIT FITS = NEW STYLE OF HPFP
Kit Fitment:

F87 – M2

F20/21 – 135i, 135xi
F22/23 – 235i, 235xi
F30/31/34 – 335i, 335xi
F32/33/36 – 435i, 435xi
F10/11 – 535i, 535xi *
F25/26 – X3/X4 35i *
F15/16 – X5/X6 35i

E8X – 135i *
E9X – 335i *
E84 – X1 35i *
E70/71 – X5/X6 35i *

*ONLY 2013+ models with OE Bosch HPFP
KIT NOT COMPATIBLE with 2011-2012 N55 Vehicles
I’ll try to get all this info for you this weekend.

Thank you both for all the effort..

Will looking at the DME/serial numbers determine anything noticeable?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 02:35 PM   #7
pwns
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post

I can’t seem to get in contact with the dealer that took care of the engine swap.. (ignoring my texts and calls for 3 weeks). So I can’t get any info from them about this engine unfortunately.

I’m not even sure if the DME was also swapped.

I’ve just replaced my HPFP about a month ago - I’ll send a pic of that as well.
The main codes I’m getting is a lean code from the injectors most likely. I’m assuming the HPFP is performing as it should.

I’m really just wondering which chsssis this engine is from - to determine if I should swap injectors or DME?
Appreciate 0