E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Vacuum leak

03-03-2024, 08:08 PM   #1
Camron335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

N55 Vacuum leak

I’ve got a 2011 e92 335i purchased last Monday. The car came with a catless downpipe and and upgraded charge pipe. Flashed to stage 1 through mhd the other day. After flashing went for a drive when I got back home I noticed a whistling noise from under the hood and found the leak fairly quick. I taped it up as a very temporary fix. Was wondering if anybody can tell me where I can find and buy a replacement for the hose. And if it would cause my afrs to be all over the place. Car now feels pretty sluggish and will occasionally die when sitting at stop sign. Could that hose be causing all these issues? Not driving it unless I absolutely have to car threw a code for being too lean and also a 2775 code right after stalling out. Pretty new to the whole tuning and modifying scene and I wouldn’t even know where to start to look for it. Thanks ahead of time. Name:  IMG_1543.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  80.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 08:09 PM   #2
Camron335i
Registered
Rep

The hose I’m referring to is right above the charge pipe on the right side of my engine. Can take more clear photos and screenshot codes tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 09:16 PM   #3
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Don’t know the exact part number, but that’s a hose going from the vacuum reservoir in the valve cover to the exhaust flap. Problem is, that vacuum reservoir is also used to control the wastegate, that’s why the car is sluggish. I’d just disconnect this exhaust flap hose at the valve cover, cap the nipple and be done with it. That’s what I did anyway when I discovered that my exhaust flap doesn’t hold vacuum.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 12:42 PM   #4
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Fastboatster is right about that vacuum line, you'll feel sluggish due to wastegate not closing right due to lost vacuum, and get that wistling sound you heard.

But that won't cause your AFR's to go lean, or cause stalling at a stop (the vacuum in that line comes from a vac pump, not the intake manifold). So in addition to the loose vacuum line you've found, you also have a seperate issue(s) going on that's causing your lean codes and stalling. I'd start by looking for leaks in your intake and charge piping (leaks after the MAF sensor will suck un-meterered air into the engine, causing you to go lean).
Appreciate 1
wrevilo23.50
      03-04-2024, 09:13 PM   #5
Camron335i
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Fastboatster is right about that vacuum line, you'll feel sluggish due to wastegate not closing right due to lost vacuum, and get that wistling sound you heard.

But that won't cause your AFR's to go lean, or cause stalling at a stop (the vacuum in that line comes from a vac pump, not the intake manifold). So in addition to the loose vacuum line you've found, you also have a seperate issue(s) going on that's causing your lean codes and stalling. I'd start by looking for leaks in your intake and charge piping (leaks after the MAF sensor will suck un-meterered air into the engine, causing you to go lean).
So about 30 minutes ago I took the engine cover off and noticed a few issues. first, Cyl 1 coil pack was not seated properly and was basically free floating. I took it out and it was completely covered in oil on the bottom half and my spark plug was completely covered in oil as well. after checking cyl 2 and taking the coil pack out it was also covered in oil and submerging the spark plug. the coil i had appeared to be different for the rest in cyl 1 same brand i think but overall, a different coil. the rest of my cylinders are bone dry, and coils and plugs seem to be from the same brand as the rest except for the coil in cyl 1. I've don't minimal research on the matter so far but from what i can gather it's the dreaded valve cover or vcg causing this. would you happen to know what's causing this issue and if it would be as simple as draining the oil from the coil slots on cyl 1 and 2 and getting new coils and plugs. Thanks again for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 09:03 AM   #6
aleschenfelder
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 Coupe

Further Troubleshooting of the vacuum system

I just posted this in another thread. (not specifically related but it may help the community with further issues)

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31074058&postcount=7

Here is the hose I just used to replace that same exact vacuum line, it's more than you need but you can use it to replace all lines to VC and boost solenoid and the wastegate if yours is pneumatic (should be)

BMW Blue Silicone Vacuum Hose (5 Meters) - CRP 11731259996

-ordered from FCP Euro (Lifetime warranty on almost all parts)

As for the oil on the plugs, I highly recommend replacing all plugs with NGK one step colder and all coils (or just the submerged ones, at least) since the car is tuned. The oil is most probably the VCG and will cause coils to wear prematurely. That's why I recommend replacing them. To eliminate the chance of cracks within the VC and giving you issues. I'd say do both since you have to pull it for the gasket either way, and if there is uncertainty about when the VC was last replaced. (they are plastic)

I am currently chasing an issue where my vacuum lines are filled with oil, and I hope the vacuum pump is not the culprit.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 12:23 PM   #7
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron335i View Post
So about 30 minutes ago I took the engine cover off and noticed a few issues. first, Cyl 1 coil pack was not seated properly and was basically free floating. I took it out and it was completely covered in oil on the bottom half and my spark plug was completely covered in oil as well. after checking cyl 2 and taking the coil pack out it was also covered in oil and submerging the spark plug. the coil i had appeared to be different for the rest in cyl 1 same brand i think but overall, a different coil. the rest of my cylinders are bone dry, and coils and plugs seem to be from the same brand as the rest except for the coil in cyl 1. I've don't minimal research on the matter so far but from what i can gather it's the dreaded valve cover or vcg causing this. would you happen to know what's causing this issue and if it would be as simple as draining the oil from the coil slots on cyl 1 and 2 and getting new coils and plugs. Thanks again for the help!
Did you get your valve cover replaced yet? If oil can leak out of it, then unmetered air can leak in, causing your lean codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 12:25 PM   #8
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleschenfelder View Post
I just posted this in another thread. (not specifically related but it may help the community with further issues)

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31074058&postcount=7

Here is the hose I just used to replace that same exact vacuum line, it's more than you need but you can use it to replace all lines to VC and boost solenoid and the wastegate if yours is pneumatic (should be)

BMW Blue Silicone Vacuum Hose (5 Meters) - CRP 11731259996

-ordered from FCP Euro (Lifetime warranty on almost all parts)

As for the oil on the plugs, I highly recommend replacing all plugs with NGK one step colder and all coils (or just the submerged ones, at least) since the car is tuned. The oil is most probably the VCG and will cause coils to wear prematurely. That's why I recommend replacing them. To eliminate the chance of cracks within the VC and giving you issues. I'd say do both since you have to pull it for the gasket either way, and if there is uncertainty about when the VC was last replaced. (they are plastic)

I am currently chasing an issue where my vacuum lines are filled with oil, and I hope the vacuum pump is not the culprit.

Hope this helps.
I don't recall seeing anybody post about bad vac pumps yet, but I have seen people post that the valve cover cracked underneath where the vac reservoir is, and suck oil into the vac lines from there.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 08:15 AM   #9
aleschenfelder
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
I don't recall seeing anybody post about bad vac pumps yet, but I have seen people post that the valve cover cracked underneath where the vac reservoir is, and suck oil into the vac lines from there.
I’ve been looking really hard and have only found one forum with a dead end; month long tags with the dealer and finally resulting in pump replacement. It just doesn’t make sense to me that it would be leaking oil from an area where it’s sucking in air. I really hope a new valve cover fixes the issue. Otherwise I’ll be ordering the pump and special tools.
Appreciate 0