E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Whats Milwaukee, WI like?

06-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Question Whats Milwaukee, WI like?

Hey All!
So I was just informed that my company may be moving us to Milwaukee, WI. I currently live in Houston,TX. Any one from up there care to comment about what its like? How do you like the city? The people? What is there to do? How are the girls? Etc.

Thanks!

Mat

Tuned E92 335, Riss Racing downpipes! And hopefully over 400RWHP!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I lovingly refer to it as the land of large women and fresh cheese. Hell on earth, but cold. Lived there for a short time. You'll learn that a LAMB is not a four legged animal raised for wool and fraternity house parties, but a large/loud ass milwaukee broad. IMHO

I lived in Yankee Hill. Water St. wasn't bad. Let me guess, you work for GE Medical Systems? Or Johnson Controls?

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
I lived in Madison, WI for 7 years, just west of Milwaukee. Milwaukee is relatively small, the crime rate is high, but not as bad as a lot of larger cities. Downtown is fairly small. Famous things include but are not limited to: Miller (beer), Harley Davidson, Snap-On, Cryptosporodium outbreak, Brewers baseball, etc. Home to Maruqette University (the only dental school in the state), UW-Milwaukee (1 of 2 PhD granting institution of the University of Wisconsin System), and Medical College of Wisconsin (actually located in a 'burb called Wauwatosa).

First thing first, it's bloody cold up here so get a really thick and warm winter coat. Second of all, there are only two seasons up here, COLD, and CONSTRUCTION.
      06-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaMat View Post
Hey All!
So I was just informed that my company may be moving us to Milwaukee, WI. I currently live in Houston,TX. Any one from up there care to comment about what its like? How do you like the city? The people? What is there to do? How are the girls? Etc.

Thanks!

Mat
I've never lived in Milwaukee but I am pretty confident in saying that it will NOT be as hot as Houston.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

I used to visit my girl who lived in Milwaukee for 4 years. There are some bad areas but overall while the city has a fairly large population it feels much smaller. There is a borderline (perhaps someone knows it) where it instantly turns hardcore ghetto.

If you are moving there, there is a company called The Mandell Group that builds condos and renovates downtown spaces and they make some awesome units. Might be worth to check them out. There are some right downtown near the river that were newly built when I was last there a few years back.

If you stick along Lake Michigan, I think it's Lake Dr. there are some really nice homes in that area including some pretty crazy mansions.

Downtown isn't overly happening but there are a few lounges and clubs. I went out a bunch of times and you get a mixed crowd, there are the classier places with the cuter girls and the more bar places where you will see the Milwaukee Bucks and Brewers players. Good luck getting any girls that night.

The best part is probably the proximity to Chicago which is around 1hr. Directly around Milwaukee is a whole lotta nothing. You will probably end up in Chicago if you are looking for real clubs, museums, shopping, etc.

The weather pretty much sucks. Its ok in the summer but lake michigan is too cold to swim in (at least for me) and the winters are just horrible.

I know the last day I was there they were in the start of a crazy highway project and it really caused a mess. Not sure if it's still there but was a nightmare when I was there.
      06-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #6
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the info so far guys. Not looking too good . I work for a small company... our business HQ is up there... our Tech is down here... they are thinking about combining.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations on parts of town?

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:47 AM   #7
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresaMat View Post
Thanks for all the info so far guys. Not looking too good . I work for a small company... our business HQ is up there... our Tech is down here... they are thinking about combining.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations on parts of town?
Yeah - Chicago. Milwaukee is Chicago's largest suburb.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #8
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Your car will love it.
Attached Images

06-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
TheSpungos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Tanzanite/Black

I lived there for 33 years (moved to Minneapolis in January). It's not going to be the same as what you're used to in Houston, but it's not nearly as bad as people think. The city itself has undergone a pretty dramatic revival the last 3-4 years.

Weather:

It will be colder than Houston. (duh). This winter was a freak-show (broke records for snowfall, etc). The average winter isn't that bad. Yes, it snows. Yes it gets cold. But MKE doesn't normally get ice storms, just snow. But since it's the midwest, they know how to handle it, and it's rarely a problem. I drove a rwd Mustang GT and my rwd 335 in the winters there with no problems. Summers are actually pretty nice. Ave summer temps are in the high 70's/low 80's. A little on the humid side due to the lake, but probably not as humid as you're used to.

City Itself:

I've never been to Houston, but I'm guessing the club/bar scene in MKE is probably not as good. It's a smaller city, so there are far fewer "clubs". However, there are about as many bars as there are people. There's relatively little traffic, and downtown is very easy to navigate. Having your downtown area be essentially on a lakefront is a really nice bonus.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised overall. It's actually a pretty nice place to be.

Prepare yourself though - the women are nowhere near as hot as they are in Texas. There are some, but the "average" one is not going to measure up.

PM me if you want more information on areas to live, specific places to go/see, etc.
      06-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Yeah - Chicago. Milwaukee is Chicago's largest suburb.

nice.

yeah milwaukee is kinda a shit hole in many parts... nice in a few but those parts are usually too small to really enjoy them and live there.

I'm assuming you'll be living in a suburb, if you aren't maybe you need to look again (I'd try to be west of the city, brookfield is a nice area, so it Waukesha but thats a bit further out of the city). One not-so-great part I know of is right by the Marquette campus (BTW Jeffery Dahmer is from that area). They've had a lot of problems around there with the homeless and crimes committed against the students, its getting better because of security upgrades but that only means all the psychos are moving along to somewhere else.

I will say though, Miller Park is nice (too bad the team isn't better) but its a good place to see the good teams come into town and beat them... lots of my friends from chicago go up there to see the Cubs play. As far as the Packers go... just don't do it man, you'll be surrounded on all sides by it but I must advise against it. Packer fans are some of the most obnoxious, idiotic, gnarly looking nfl fans out there. Besides, who wants to root for a team that just lost its star player? (I'm sure youre probably a Dallas fan anyway).

Milwaukee has its nice suburbs just like every other metro area in the US, the city just is more industrial than most and thus makes urban living a bit different that places like NYC, Chicago, Dallas, ect... (not sure what Houston is like).

Have fun... now you can be one of the guys who drives down to chicago for meets since the WI family can't organize their own (shameless stab at our lack of meets up here).

And don't forget to go to Summerfest... don't worry, its mostly all rich suburban Chicago kids anyway so the scenery is much nicer and some really good bands always make it out each year.

Welcome to the land of Beer and Cheese.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #11
InS0mNiAc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335I Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
As far as the Packers go... just don't do it man, you'll be surrounded on all sides by it but I must advise against it. Packer fans are some of the most obnoxious, idiotic, gnarly looking nfl fans out there.
LOL you've obviously never been to a raiders game....Packers fans are like children compared to raiders fans.....I wouldn't be caught dead in an opposing teams jersey at a raiders game...I doubt I would make it out alive
      06-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
TheSpungos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Tanzanite/Black

One other thing to be prepared for - what most places call binge drinking, Milwaukee calls a normal Tuesday night.
      06-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Your car will love it.
That's Geneva, Switzerland.

I visited a friend of mine in Wisconsin last November. Not sure I'd want to live there for an extended period of time, but I enjoyed it. Bar hopping, people were all very nice. And I did see a few hot chicks, but nothing like Texas.

Lake Front Brewary tour on Friday night is a must! Unlike some tours I've been on, they don't turn you away from having a second fill up at each station.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
tweak84
i shake a lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M 17 X5M

i live in waukesha which is about 15 mins west of milwaukee. i go to school in milwaukee, and ive lived around here almost my entire life, its not nearly as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, yea the winters suck, we get a lot of snow and its cold, but summers are awesome, not too hot like the person said above usually around 70-80 lakeside but further inland like where i am the temps are usually around 80-85, i love it here and ive traveled all over the damn place, people are nice,

i love chicago but im not too fond of the people down there, pretty fuckin stuck up usually...but a coo place to visit....so all in all yes, it will be pretty different from houston but a lot of people that i have talked to that have moved here from other places really do grow to love it....
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

I went to school there for 4 years. Get a jacket, a really thick one, gloved, ear muffs, hat, and scarf. It gets cold there. Funny, I want to move to TX (though I live in Chi).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InS0mNiAc View Post
LOL you've obviously never been to a raiders game....Packers fans are like children compared to raiders fans.....I wouldn't be caught dead in an opposing teams jersey at a raiders game...I doubt I would make it out alive
i agree and what i was trying to say is that packer fans are pussies compared to raiders fans... so they REALLY have nothing going for them and are the lowest on the NFL totem pole due to that. At least Oakland fans are badasses who'll rip your head off and spit down your neck. Packer fans will invite you back to their local farmers market to sell you cheap firewood and cheese curds.

i've never seen so many overweight, mustache sporting, drunkard blue color (and also blue denim suit wearing) guys in my life... unless you go to the bear games but they are at least good looking and usually rich (they have to be to afford the ticket prices).

I rest my case.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #17
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher5 View Post
I went to school there for 4 years. Get a jacket, a really thick one, gloved, ear muffs, hat, and scarf. It gets cold there. Funny, I want to move to TX (though I live in Chi).
But you really need most of that until it drops lower. I was comfy in a long john shirt, a hoody, and a beanie.

Come on down, we'd love to have you. I was only in Chi-town for about 8 hours, but enjoyed the hell out of myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #18
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
That's Geneva, Switzerland.

I visited a friend of mine in Wisconsin last November. Not sure I'd want to live there for an extended period of time, but I enjoyed it. Bar hopping, people were all very nice. And I did see a few hot chicks, but nothing like Texas.

Lake Front Brewary tour on Friday night is a must! Unlike some tours I've been on, they don't turn you away from having a second fill up at each station.

Geneve to the locals.... He knows what I meant anyway.
      06-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #19
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpungos View Post
One other thing to be prepared for - what most places call binge drinking, Milwaukee calls a normal Tuesday night.
lol VERY true too.

oh and they ALL drive home too.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #20
tweak84
i shake a lot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M 17 X5M

damn, i never knew there was so much animosity towards wisconsin?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #21
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
i think its mostly from outsiders who have lived here later in life for a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Man all this talk is making me sad. Im originally from Los Angeles - home of the beautiful girls. Now I feel like houston doesnt have that many hot girls. And yall are saying WI has even less? DAMN! Cold, not a lot of hot girls, not much to do, my company better be hooking up the $$$!

Mat

Appreciate 0