E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Investing in GAS stocks:...

06-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Investing in GAS stocks:...

Hey there folks with the gas prices going up is anyone going to be investing in gas stocks..if so what kind. Sorry im a newb and want to know what is the best one.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

you mean oil?
      06-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I've heard "experts" say buy buy buy. With blue chip stocks you really can't go wrong though. I suggest reading and watching CNBC. That way you'll get various opinions and then can do your research and go from there.

I'm currently looking at investing in several 'alternative' energy source companies. Namely windmill companies, and the companies that manufacture products for those companies.

Unfortunately the timing of beginning that search, and now having to work crazy hours at work have that on hold.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

oil is a bubble that will eventually burst. Its too late in my opinion to invest in these stocks because demand will fall. Find something else to invest in if I were you.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
I've heard "experts" say buy buy buy. With blue chip stocks you really can't go wrong though. I suggest reading and watching CNBC. That way you'll get various opinions and then can do your research and go from there.

I'm currently looking at investing in several 'alternative' energy source companies. Namely windmill companies, and the companies that manufacture products for those companies.

Unfortunately the timing of beginning that search, and now having to work crazy hours at work have that on hold.
I dont quite agree with you with regards to "cant go wrong" with blue chips..if oil keeps going up, which it will...it will crush the markets, probably not in one blow but slowly....
finance.yahoo.com my friend.....

goddam oil!!!!
      06-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
oil is a bubble that will eventually burst. Its too late in my opinion to invest in these stocks because demand will fall. Find something else to invest in if I were you.
X2.. Right now buying oil is stupid.. Like said I think its a bubble and its mostly speculation that is adding $40-50 a barrel and that will end soon like the housing speculation.. Dont get caught overpaying and buying at the peak of the market.

Right now would be a great time to invest in a market that everything thinks is crap.. AKA housing or real estate, I would suggest doing some research on homebuilders partly because they have dropped to near rock bottom prices and the land they own is worth more than what the stock market is valuing them at.. Also REITs are another forum, but at the moment homebuilders seem to be the best bet like I said find a few that hold a lot of land that is undervalued.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #7
mrwma237
Polytech Trooper
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36 440i Gran Coupe

Sure there is a lot of speculation money flowing into the commodity markets.

However, many analysts said that the oil market will burst when it was at $80 a barrel.

I think oil is highly correlated with the US $. Americans use so much oil, to not cut into the gross % of these overseas oil producers selling in the US, drives up the prices.
      06-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post
I dont quite agree with you with regards to "cant go wrong" with blue chips..if oil keeps going up, which it will...it will crush the markets, probably not in one blow but slowly....
finance.yahoo.com my friend.....

goddam oil!!!!
Very true. And unfortunately I didn't articulate a more precise answer. I agree with what's been said. I was speaking very general with blue chips, not limiting to oil, albeit that was the question.

For example, I sold half of my Exxon stock in 2007 at somewhere around the $90 mark (I can't recall the exact number). Not long after it dropped dramatically, then went back up. I recovered what I took out and made more. I wouldn't buy Exxon currently. It will start dropping again after it hit's the high $90-$100. Or if they feel it's time they'll split the stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #9
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I guess what should be said is yes you can still make money, but you wont make as much as if you invested 2-3 years ago. The potential for anything big happening is low and the odds are it will have no growth in terms of price rise and will probably decline after a while.. And right now you can find better opportunities which have more potential for growth with less risk. Oil is a hot market and near peak, its time to find the next oil market thats where the money is.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
One company that benefits off of high oil prices is Apache (APA). Look at the one year chart and you'll see what I mean. That being said, I also think it's a bubble and I'm not sure if now is the best time to invest in it. I wish I had bought Apache a while back, I always had my eye on it just never jumped in!

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #11
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
I guess what should be said is yes you can still make money, but you wont make as much as if you invested 2-3 years ago. The potential for anything big happening is low and the odds are it will have no growth in terms of price rise and will probably decline after a while.. And right now you can find better opportunities which have more potential for growth with less risk. Oil is a hot market and near peak, its time to find the next oil market thats where the money is.
I think I'm going to refrain from posting anything that requires an intelligent answer for the next few weeks. These long hours and working weekends take their toll on the mind. When I see the computer screens when I finally close my eyes for the night, I know I've lost my mind.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
RBP
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Convertible M sport

If you think oil is going higher, buy ticker: USO it essentially tracks the price of oil directly and you don't have the operational risk of an underlying company.

Ticker DIG is twice the performance of the DJ Oil & Gas index if you want to add some octane to your investments.

If you think oil is going lower, buy ticker: DUG It is twice the inverse of the DJ Oil & Gas index (it's like shorting oil at 2 times the rate)

UNG tracks Natural Gas

I would stay away from refiners (Valero, Tesoro and others) since crack spreads are narrowing and are going to hurt these guys.

LOTS of people are convinced we are going to hit $150 a barrel for all sorts of reasons. Today oil is around $137
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

You may want to consider MLP's. Master Limited Partnerships are a good source for dividends and they're doing very well.
Appreciate 0