E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Under grad vs grad

06-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #23
turbomg
Acquiring the taste.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoreality15 View Post
Woo, let's all start dropping our GPAs to impress anonymous people on the Internet. I have a 3.6. Who else?!
Graduated with a 2.9 overall.

Got a C in every class that wasn't a Computer Science requirement

GPA is useless, and you'll realize this as soon as you graduate.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 02:56 AM   #24
alexp1_tx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

UMM yea oh Donut, yummy, ahh. Ooh Donut,yummy, ahh. ohh Duff beer, ahh.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 03:00 AM   #25
alexp1_tx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

"Im rich bitch" I dont need an edumication!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 03:10 AM   #26
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I recently got my Master's in ChemE and Petroleum Engineering, and pretty much what everyone already mentioned is true...I dont know about MBA programs really, but I have heard work experience is required now, and I thought it was now 4 years, maybe it depends on the program. Today, having a college degree really doesn't set you apart, so many people now go to college, that a college degree has become what a high school degree was 30 or so years ago. A friend of mine who works in the biomedical field told me that his company will get dozens and dozens of resumes for a job opening, and they need a quick way to reduce the numbers so they can review them and interview the applicants, so one thing they do is toss out everyone who doesnt have an advanced degree.

Grades dont matter, but they do matter..if that makes sense...heres what I mean: in grad school, you need to maintain a B average overall in all classes applied towards your degree to stay in the program. But, most professors give B, B- as the lowest grade...so, if you bomb a class, and get a B-...you can easily make it up with another class to maintain your B average overall

In my program, the Master's classes in ChemE were very research oriented, and since I wanted to work in industry, I hated it, so there were a few classes that weren't worth taking other than the fact that I needed them to graduate. However, all of my Petroleum engineering classes were great, since I was working in the industry they all were applicable, even the more theoretical ones...plus they were more fun because they meant more.

As for the "top 10 school" part...it is a good idea to try to go to as high a ranked school as you can, but also remember that doesn't automatically translate into success, it is the student that makes the difference. It would be more important to go to a school that ranks high in the specific area of your interest, or has the program you want, then you will be more likely to enjoy your classes and will do better as well
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #27
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

at the grad school level what matters is not what you study but who it is you are studying with. the quality of your peers and the quality of your professors is what will make or break the grad school experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #28
ihatepostmodernism
Private
Rep
Drives:

if you count law school as grad school, it is completely and utterly different than undergrad -- btw i was a comp sci major
Appreciate 0