E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Navigation Europe Update - just maps or software as well?

11-26-2014, 04:26 AM   #1
westcountry_surfer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 320d [184] M_Sport E191

Navigation Europe Update - just maps or software as well?

Greetings,

Perhaps a daft question. But I am looking at updating my 2010 Pro Nav with the latest map pack. (not intending to go through BMW for this one...shocker, I know.)

My question is; does the pack literally just update the map database, or does it update the software as well? I have found that the Nav system is quite poor at suggesting the quickest route, and wondered if this is at all rectified in the these update discs.

2010 320D E91 M Sport Pro Nav.

Thanking you,

W_C
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Do you have it set to give quickest route?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
westcountry_surfer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi,

Yes I do. It still gets trumped by Google maps on my iPhone for speedy routes though.

I don't have connected drive account, perhaps that is what makes all-the-difference?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcountry_surfer View Post
Hi,

Yes I do. It still gets trumped by Google maps on my iPhone for speedy routes though.

I don't have connected drive account, perhaps that is what makes all-the-difference?
I doubt connected drive makes any difference to route calculation.

I've run BMW routes alongside both TomTom, Google & CoPilot and whilst it's not the best I've not found it that bad either. I've had TomTom give me better routes than BMW but I've also had the BMW suggest better routes that the any of the others. I'm at the stage now I rely on the BMW route 90% of the time and only look for an alternative if it looks obviously stupid, the fact that it's a big screen in the middle of the dash & easy to use makes up for a lot, I just wish it had the ability to auto zoom at junctions etc
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
westcountry_surfer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well it's good to hear that you've had some success. I shall persevere for now, getting an update this weekend probably through a third party.

Having done further research into the whole software thing, looks like the firmware for iDrive is a totally different thing (didn't realise this) and in order to update that, you need the USB interface (I only have a USB in the glovebox) so looks like I am stuck with this iDrive edition. Although this doesn't affect SATNAV. It affects the connectivity etc.

I find it crazy that BMW put a DVD player, a big widescreen SATnav and a USB (for uploading music only in glovebox) but no USB interface unless you went for yet another option!

Hey ho!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
I doubt connected drive makes any difference to route calculation.

I've run BMW routes alongside both TomTom, Google & CoPilot and whilst it's not the best I've not found it that bad either. I've had TomTom give me better routes than BMW but I've also had the BMW suggest better routes that the any of the others. I'm at the stage now I rely on the BMW route 90% of the time and only look for an alternative if it looks obviously stupid, the fact that it's a big screen in the middle of the dash & easy to use makes up for a lot, I just wish it had the ability to auto zoom at junctions etc
Ian
BMW says
BMW’s ConnectedDrive system has been enhanced for 2011 for even more intelligent networking between the driver and the outside world. Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) is a superior system for warning drivers of hold-ups and calculating alternative routes to help avoid them. It is far quicker and more efficient than the Traffic Message Channel (TMC) currently used, transmitting data faster, and updating more frequently, via the SIM card integrated in the vehicle.

So pre-2011 uses TMC. Whereas post SEPT 2011 onward with connected drive system activated will give better traffic information.

HTH.
      11-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #7
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Ian
BMW says
BMW’s ConnectedDrive system has been enhanced for 2011 for even more intelligent networking between the driver and the outside world. Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) is a superior system for warning drivers of hold-ups and calculating alternative routes to help avoid them. It is far quicker and more efficient than the Traffic Message Channel (TMC) currently used, transmitting data faster, and updating more frequently, via the SIM card integrated in the vehicle.

So pre-2011 uses TMC. Whereas post SEPT 2011 onward with connected drive system activated will give better traffic information.

HTH.
Sam

Thanks, that's interesting to know, IIRC it's a 2011 system that you installed in my car, any idea how I find out which system it's using, TMCC or RTTI?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 01:53 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Sam

Thanks, that's interesting to know, IIRC it's a 2011 system that you installed in my car, any idea how I find out which system it's using, TMCC or RTTI?
Ian
RTTI comes from combox (via built in sim and OTA). If your car is manufactured Sept 2011 or later then you have RTTI, otherwise its TMC.

HTH.

PS: yes, you have 2011 CIC.
      11-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #9
Bmw10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

I take it there is no way to upgrade it to RTTI in a 2010 car ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw10
I take it there is no way to upgrade it to RTTI in a 2010 car ?
There is no crack for it.
Combox uses built in sim to get the information OTA.
Its only via oem kit at the moment unless bmw changes the coding files and give you that option to be done via mobile phone.