E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Lexus LFAs delivered to customers

02-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #23
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
I think that the LF A looks pretty cool but I still can't justify the price on it. I still think that their LFA division is just outright crazy. Do you guys really think that the interior looks better than Ferrari's? That interior just screams any Lexus to me with carbon fiber bits..And did that have to use that signature super-cheap-japanese looking gloss finish on their wheels?

BTW for all of you guys raving about the harmonics of the engine, Lexus spent lots of time making the exhaust sound THAT good.. I mean thats great and all but what does it tell you about the engine? Do you think Ferrari sat and "engineered" their exhaust?
It is because you are not aware of all the materials used in the interior. The quality, fit and finish is simply on a different level. Only Alcantara, leather, all real aluminum and not just fake painted stuff, carbon fiber and even the fasteners are made of expensive materials. The TFT computer screen for gauges alone is extremely expensive to build:

Pictures of LFAs being prep'ed for delivery to customers in USA (real aluminum and carbon fiber in the interior):

458 Italia (painted aluminum accents):

LP570-4 Superleggera interior:

- Lamborghini on turbocharging

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 02-04-2011 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #24
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks man. They both are two of my most favorite cars of all times. On TopGear, they are scared to run a dry lap since LFA put down 1:22 in pouring wet. Porsche Carrera GT was more hardcore for its time (standard LFA comes with only S001 Potenza tires) and truly the Nurburgring LFA is a more fair match by today's standards. So I hate to prove one is better than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Fair enough. Im not trying to argue, just going by the facts that we do know. Ive driven a CGT (albeit for a short period) and been in one so I know a bit about what it can do.
My point was mainly that despite it being a decade old at this point, lexus still didnt make a car that is clear ahead of it in performance.
And, Id be willing to be, same day, same tires, same driver the CGT will still put down better lap times every time.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #25
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Did anyone notice how only one reverse light was working on that brand new red one when he backed up before he did donuts. I thought maybe it was like a scion with one light since it is a toyota but theres another light on the other side and its not working. I think that car is awesome and I would have to have it in black to help disguise the ugly ass grills on the back. I still think its way too much money for a toyota though.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #26
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

You seriously think Lexus would deliver a $375,000 car with a burnt out light? Maybe because you are not aware of the function. It is in the user manual.

The Costa Rican one is a Euro spec LFAs, one light is used as a rear red fog light as a requirement for highways in Europe while the other one is used as a reverse light. In US/Canada models, both lights are used as reverse lights and no fog lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
Did anyone notice how only one reverse light was working on that brand new red one when he backed up before he did donuts. I thought maybe it was like a scion with one light since it is a toyota but theres another light on the other side and its not working. I think that car is awesome and I would have to have it in black to help disguise the ugly ass grills on the back. I still think its way too much money for a toyota though.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #27
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
...This has already been covered...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #28
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

awesome car, too much money
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #29
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Recent Evo UK winner of the 'best engine of the year':

Quote:
There is nothing in the world like the Lexus LFA. It is more special and intriguing than the 458 and demonstrates an extraordinary level of passion and commitment. Bespoke and limited edition, it is also a genuine supercar that can scare the pants off you. This is mainly thanks to it's extraordinary 552bhp 4.8-litre V10 that does everything a Carrera GT's does and then goes completely mad as it closes in on 9500rpm. Its uncompromising ride adds to the challenge, and it was generally agreed that it would have been a bit of a handful up on the moors,
but we were beguiled. "It's a beautiful thing, all the details, and it has the integrity and functionality of a Lexus. Feels like a step up from everything else here," said Meaden. "Very, very special," said Metcalfe. Thank you, Lexus.
Quote:
"There is nothing out there that has ever felt this special since the Macca F1", says Chris Harris.

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 02-04-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #30
Epik
Awesome & Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
Someone tell me why I shoul buy this over a 458 Italia for $100k more with worse performance.
Judging by people who have been in all sorts of high end cars, it seems like going the fastest is not the most important thing and that this Lexus has that special feel that the Ferrari does not. It's also more exclusive and better engineered. I would take the 458 bang for buck but if I was a billionaire, I'd splash on the LFA.
      02-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #31
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Chances are, if you can afford a LFA, it won't be your first supercar and probably have a ferrari currently in the stable.
      02-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #32
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
You seriously think Lexus would deliver a $375,000 car with a burnt out light? Maybe because you are not aware of the function. It is in the user manual.

The Costa Rican one is a Euro spec LFAs, one light is used as a rear red fog light as a requirement for highways in Europe while the other one is used as a reverse light. In US/Canada models, both lights are used as reverse lights and no fog lights.
Woah keep it in your pants, didn't know that alright. Still doesn't matter its $375,000 toyota.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #33
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I think the price is a little high on the LF-A. They should have pumped out more LF-As, and possibly make the LF-A a little bit more affordable (250k?). But then, at this price range, you either got the money or you don't.

Also, shouldn't the LFA be compared with the 599 GTO, both being around the same price range and exclusivity?

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #34
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Woah keep it in your pants, didn't know that alright. Still doesn't matter its $375,000 toyota.
Toyota is no less inferior or superior to a BMW.
      02-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #35
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

You are mostly correct. However, while LFA is a no-compromise supercar with the most luxury one could find in a supercar, the 599 GTO is all business with even sound deadening stripped down to the welds. Much like the Enzo.

Two different approaches. Lexus LFA Nurburgring edition is closer in the sense it is much more hardcore than the standard LFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Also, shouldn't the LFA be compared with the 599 GTO, both being around the same price range and exclusivity?

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 02-04-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #36
Chenry135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former 2008 135i/ 2006 STI

OMG, I'm so sick of these fighting over the LF-A threads... Like what you like and F everyone else!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #37
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
I think the price is a little high on the LF-A. They should have pumped out more LF-As, and possibly make the LF-A a little bit more affordable (250k?). But then, at this price range, you either got the money or you don't.

Agree and disagree. You are buying a toy. There is not much difference if you want to spend 300 vs 500k.

When you are buying at this price range, performance is one thing, but exclusivity is also very important. If I am spending that much dough on a car, I do not want to see another one when I pull up at my golf club.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #38
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
It is because you are not aware of all the materials used in the interior. The quality, fit and finish is simply on a different level. Only Alcantara, leather, all real aluminum and not just fake painted stuff, carbon fiber and even the fasteners are made of expensive materials. The TFT computer screen for gauges alone is extremely expensive to build:

Pictures of LFAs being prep'ed for delivery to customers in USA (real aluminum and carbon fiber in the interior):

458 Italia (painted aluminum accents):

LP570-4 Superleggera interior:

I guess I'd have to just sit in one to appreciate it.. I still think its overly expensive and very brave for Lexus to jump in a market that is not very familiar to them.
      02-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #39
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Wow, the LFA looks better than I thought

The front needs some work, still kinda cheap

The rear is quite nice, it does the trick.

Sounds great, 2nd to Carrera GT or thereabouts.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #40
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
Agree and disagree. You are buying a toy. There is not much difference if you want to spend 300 vs 500k.

When you are buying at this price range, performance is one thing, but exclusivity is also very important. If I am spending that much dough on a car, I do not want to see another one when I pull up at my golf club.
Agreed...a lot of members here will find it hard to appreciate because they will look at pure numbers.

We are not in the same league as LFA buyers, other things matter to them -- they'll drive this car, among many others they have no doubt.

For us, we often have one or two nice cars, and we want them to be jack of all trades -- good performance, lux, reliable, all that

LFA obviously isn't a great car, its performance, power, and weight aren't that great esp compared to a 458 Italia...but perhaps it evokes a sense of emotion or exclusivity important to its owners.

I mean at the very most I would consider buying a GT3 or Ferrari 458 Italia...an LFA is out of the question, but it clearly appeals to some buyers.

People gotta think beyond yourselves.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #41
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
LFA obviously isn't a great car, its performance, power, and weight aren't that great esp compared to a 458 Italia...but perhaps it evokes a sense of emotion or exclusivity important to its owners.
LFA setting a record of fastest lap around Goodwood England (with passenger 1:22.62 on Potenza S001 tires):

First is just a warm up lap in the video before he just romps it at 2:10 mark in:

That is not true when it comes to track performance. LFA's engine already beat 458's engine out in 'Best engine of the year' awards. It is smaller and lighter than a 3.0 Liter V6 yet produces 95% of its peak torque from 3000 - 9500 rpm. LFA just came out in terms of production. Before there were the same 4 prototypes around the world doing all the work being ragged on for 10,000 miles each so yet, there is no fair comparison available.

LFA's carbon fiber chassis is factually also substantially stiffer and while 458 Italia has a torque-vectoring differential that splits torque side to side on the rear wheels, LFA's is much more raw as the suspension does all the work and it uses an LSD.

If production-spec LFA was put next to 458 Italia around the race track with comparable tires, LFA will definitely do very well against the 458 Italia since already it has pulled higher skidpad and cornering speed around Nurburgring than the 458. No doubts there.

Evo UK:

Quote:

There is nothing in the world like the Lexus LFA. It is more special and intriguing than the 458 and demonstrates an extraordinary level of passion and commitment. Bespoke and limited edition, it is also a genuine supercar that can scare the pants off you. This is mainly thanks to it's extraordinary 552bhp 4.8-litre V10 that does everything a Carrera GT's does and then goes completely mad as it closes in on 9500rpm. Its uncompromising ride adds to the challenge, and it was generally agreed that it would have been a bit of a handful up on the moors,
but we were beguiled. "It's a beautiful thing, all the details, and it has the integrity and functionality of a Lexus. Feels like a step up from everything else here," said Meaden. "Very, very special," said Metcalfe. Thank you, Lexus.
Quote:
"There is nothing out there that has ever felt this special since the Macca F1", says Chris Harris.
The Stig from TopGear magazine ('Greatest supercars of the year 2010'):

Quote:
Amazing track weapon, super-stiff chassis makes it extremely sensitive to inputs...V10 engine has power everywhere and delivery to make the most of that...brakes powerful but don't interfere...lots of grip in slow and fast corners..full balance into...through, out of corners. What's Lexus? Does it also make fridges

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 02-05-2011 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #42
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That is not true when it comes to track performance. LFA's engine already beat 458's engine out in 'Best engine of the year' awards. LFA just came out in terms of production. Before there were the same 4 prototypes around the world doing all the work being ragged on for 10,000 miles each so yet, there is no fair comparison available.

LFA's carbon fiber chassis is factually also substantially stiffer and while 458 Italia has a torque-vectoring differential that splits torque side to side on the rear wheels, LFA's is much more raw as the suspension does all the work and it uses an LSD.

If production LFA was put next to 458 Italia around the race track with comparable tires, LFA would definitely be slightly quicker , its cornering speed around Nurburgring was measured to be susbtantially higher than that of 458 Italia.

Evo UK:

The Stig from TopGear magazine ('Greatest supercars of the year 2010'):
I hear you...and what you say makes sense. There really hasn't been a bad review about the LFA (Then again, when is there a bad review for high end cars or speakers, or audio systems or anything? ALl these guys get paid by car companies etc) -- but you'll see that they say its poor value.

Still quite a price differential for a car that doesn't look 1/2 as good as the 458, doesn't carry the vaunted Ferrari badge, and ...lets not forget, is front engine as opposed to mid-engine.

I know at this level for incremental benefits you pay astronomical/exponential increase in price, but still!

At the end of the day you need to synthesize the WHOLE package not the individual parts, from performance, emotional appeal, numbers, everything -- thats where the LFA is nice, but certainly not the best value or the best car in class.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #43
TheRox
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
A

Again, subjective here. If you believe Porsche Carrera GT is quicker, that is fine with me.
I'm Sorry remind me when the Carrera GT came out and when it ended production???

You can't even buy a CGT from Porsche today. Its been 4 years I blv, its way outdated technology.

Dude, I might be wrong but I'm getting the feeling you're defending the LFA/Lexus for other reasons? Just because its an Asian/Japanese manufacturer doesn't mean that they will automatically measure up to Geramn or high-end Italian-spec engineering. Let's not let our allegiances to car companies be dictated by what region of the world they come from or you come from.

Japanese cars usually have been great at copying German engineering, but done little to provide an attractive overall driving package that is superior to European manufacturers.

I love a good Lexus, in fact a I was pushing hard for the LS 460...we ended getting a Panamera; but I respect their reliable machines. And no doubt the engine in the LF-A is heavenly, but this car seems like its a half decade too late, and looks pretty bland for its price point.

Its a nice entry though. But by no means cutting edge. Technically the Ferrari 458 is a league below the LF-A (LF-A is CGT territory technically, but CGT came out centuries ago)...yet you'll find few who'd rather an LF-A over a 458.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #44
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

i saw a yellow in orlando a couple months ago. do want, but in the IS-F blue or that red.