E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Is the Nürburgring a joke?

02-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #67
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
There probably are sections of roads all over which can be as challenging, or moreso, as the Nurburgring. Much of it are public roads. But to call it a joke as a track would be flat out wrong. And if people are driving on roads as they would at the Ring, then they are wrong.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #68
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina F31 B3

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
I think the track is a joke. It's less challenging than many Canadian roads in Western Canada. The only danger is that there are no speed limits and you have to be careful of other crazy less experienced drivers crashing into you. I truly believe that I can complete the track the first time in less than 10 minutes.
Let's get this straight.

The track is about as far removed from being "a joke" as is possible.

Having no speed limit is not a danger. Maybe you require limits to be set in order to assess how fast you should be travelling?

I hope you class yourself firmly in the crazy, less experienced driver category, because that's exactly what you are.

HOWEVER..........

It is possible to do a 10 minute lap during your first visit. You'd need the right car and about 12 laps to start to get your head around it, but you could do it. It's not out of the question.

Above all else though, if you arrive at the track with the attitude that you've portrayed throughout this thread, you'll end up bending whatever it is you're driving and land yourself with an Armco bill at best and in hospital etc at worst.

I suggest you wind your neck in, swallow a dose of humility and apologise to those fellow Canadians you've embarrassed

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #69
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]

These new ones fit this thread
      02-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #70
CSL-Fanatik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e46 M3 CSL

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe those who live in areas where everything is flat and the roads are all straight with very little curves, and if you're going to drive the Nürburgring for the first time, it's going to be heck challenging. I grew up driving roads that are 2-3 times tougher than the ring. How about driving in mountain roads with snow, black ice and rain, and if you wipe out, you're fall a few hundred feet down the mountain. Canadian roads, anything West of the Rocky Mountains are way more challenging than the Nürburgring for sure.
Grew up on roads 2-3 times tougher than the ring? Now that's scientific!

*jk

The Nurburgring is like nothing else. You may have crazy weather and cliffs, but in terms of a racetrack that has 3 blind corners out of 4, it's a very different challenge than overcoming the weather on a daily commute.

I have been to the ring, and a first timer in a stock car doing under 10? - I really don't think so,

best,

CSL
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #71
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

good old SF...

nothing challenging, just put it to 1st and hang tight on the steering wheel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phile92 View Post
and if you want challenging you should see this one road in my home town. try racing down that =]
      02-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #72
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Agreed, Monaco, and other circuits, could be more challenging, but claiming to do under-10 min. on Nürburgring when you haven't even walked on the circuit is a joke.

Quote:
I believe it's challenging when the Nürburgring track is filled with other drivers driving like there's no tommorow. Sure, it's one of the greatest tracks, but there are many roads that are much more challenging to drive.
      02-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #73
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I did not read the entire thread, and I assume someone already point this out.

The track is made up of 108 turns, all of varying levels of complexity and difficulty all stung together one after the other. These include blind descending and increasing curves, curves with decreasing radius and number of other very challenging features for any car to handle.

The most important thing to remember about the ring, it is designed to challenge the performance of the car, as much as the driver. A person might be able to handle all the situation individual but stringing them together really challenges the car. It might not be question of whether you can do it or not, it more about can you car handle it and whether you know what to do at the right time every time, one mistake and your into a wall. I also read there are people who grew up on that track and they will tell you it hard not to make one mistake

The current real life record is 7:27 set by a Pagani Zonda in October of last year.

If you think you could do the ring in under 10 I bet you can do Pikes Peak under 10 minutes too.

I can tell you this much, I learn to drive on back roads which were narrow with hidden and blind curves, no shoulders or guard rails with dips and raises the cause your car to leave or smash into the road and you took your life in your hands daily especially if you drove fast. I did this in vintage muscle cars which had no performance for curves except going fast straight.

I had an opportunity to drive pikes peaks and I just barely did it in 20 minutes with very few other cars on the road. I can tell that road scared the hell out of me and there was nothing on the road I had not dealt with in the past but you add it all together in one short period of time and it not easy. Then add in the fact at the last 1000 ft of elevation out of nowhere the clouds roll in and you can barely see what is in front of you.

One last point, most all roads and highways are designed and built so the average drive and car will not have a problem, unlike the ring or pike peak with are designed to push the limits of the car and driver.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #74
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post

nuff said!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #75
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #76
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Wow. What crack are you smoking?

1) Mission Raceway is a relatively easy track compared other tracks in the world. Having driven it does not give you the reference to say that the Nurburgring is a joke. The difference is night and day. Mission Raceway has 9 turns. Nurburgring has over 100. Mission Raceway is 2km long. The Nurburgring is over 20km long. For crying out loud...how many tracks in the world have killed as many drivers as the Nurburgring? Enuff said.
2) Have you seen Hans Stuck drive the 'ring? If you think you can drive hard on your first attempt on the 'ring then...I seriously hope you are not driving that hard "practicing" on the public roads.

Dude...I'm sooooo embarrased to be Canadian now.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #77
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post

1) Mission Raceway is a relatively easy track compared other tracks in the world. Having driven it does not give you the reference to say that the Nurburgring is a joke. The difference is night and day. Mission Raceway has 9 turns. Nurburgring has over 100. Mission Raceway is 2km long. The Nurburgring is over 20km long. For crying out loud...how many tracks in the world have killed as many drivers as the Nurburgring? Enuff said.
2) Have you seen Hans Stuck drive the 'ring? If you think you can drive hard on your first attempt on the 'ring then...I seriously hope you are not driving that hard "practicing" on the public roads.

That video was insane.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #78
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Great vid spacedogg!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #79
SteelTorque
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Apparently you haven't seen this video.

02-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #80
E(@M#
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94' corolla

Quote:

balls of steel....that car is stoopid fast
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #81
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Quote:

haha...stupid guy in 3:01 with hugeass wing
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #82
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Quote:

Well said...
I can't even memorize the track turns on Gran Tourismo
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 03:47 AM   #83
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

this blob guy is one funny mofo
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 05:27 AM   #84
Ru$$ell
M0derator
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
This thread is a joke
X2
      03-01-2008, 07:07 AM   #85
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Obviously this kid started this thread to get everyone upset.

I would like to see some footage of him driving "just as challenging" of roads while going to "buy a gallon of milk".
If there were roads that provided just as challenging of drives, over just as long a distance, at just as high of a rate of speed; wouldn't the BMW (not to mention Porsche, Nissan, Audi, Mercedes, Cadillac, etc) engineers be heading to western Canada for their testing. Probably stopping by the Blob's house to toss him the keys, since that kind of drive is oh so ho-hum to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phile92 View Post
toss him the keys? they would be fighting to get blob to test their suspension setups and bribe him with huge checks and blowjobs to attain his invaluable skill
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightkhan View Post
this blob guy is one funny mofo

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 07:08 AM   #86
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

da blizz.....da blizzob......is wrizong fo show.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #87
Das M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 ///M3

Quote:

03-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #88
ska///235i