E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Cost for college

05-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #23
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Stew, thanks for the first hand info. My daughter is considering Drexel and Northeastern as a couple of her choices. They both use the Quad system, where mid-terms are every 5 weeks, finals every 10. Did you do any internships? Most Quad-System schools push the on-the-job aspects for 20 week stints. If you did, did it help you decide what you want to do, after graduation?

(sorry to hijack, but this is all great info!)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #24
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by finssidedown View Post
jzhang1013: When was the last time you check on those numbers? My friends that go to UC's are on semesters... and they pay well over 13k for an academic yearand I'm not sure about UC's but Cal State dorms are 9k a year.
For as long as I can remember Cal has been the only semester UC school, I think the CSU schools might be different.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #25
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Stew, thanks for the first hand info. My daughter is considering Drexel and Northeastern as a couple of her choices. They both use the Quad system, where mid-terms are every 5 weeks, finals every 10. Did you do any internships? Most Quad-System schools push the on-the-job aspects for 20 week stints. If you did, did it help you decide what you want to do, after graduation?

(sorry to hijack, but this is all great info!)
I did do an internship, however, the one problem with a quarter system is that it ends sometime in mid to late June, and most internship programs are set up to start around May. By programs I mean programs like the UCDC programs where students intern in Washington DC, or international programs where you can work or even take classes overseas. Companies will accomadate anyone from a quarter system so its no real problem. The one thing to be aware of is that they start looking for interns EARLY. Career fairs, on campus interviews, and summer position postings started in January, Feburary when I was in school, so it might be a bit tough to balance an internship/job search in the middle of the quarter.

I did intern, I was a bit lucky that the company I worked for was a little late getting interns and was able to interview with them towards the end of the quarter. It did help me decide which career I wanted, and I liked it enough to get a MS degree in a related field and a full time job (the internship was at a refinery, the MS was in ChemE and Petroleum Engineering, the job is for an independant oil and gas company).

One thing to keep in mind about internships, is that they are like a big interview, for the company and you as the intern. The company is not only deciding if you will be a good fit for a full time position, but you are also interviewing the company to see if you really like the industry, job, people, etc. Internships are important for expierence as well, and some are paid and some arnt, but dont let that get in the way of a great opportunity if you can afford to take a non paid internship.

When I got my full time job, I was still taking classes for my MS degree, so what I did was take 2 classes a semester, then 1 class a semester, and worked full time. My office was very close to campus so this worked perfectly. I have heard that working and going to school makes you a better student, and I think it really does. It helps you manage your time, and you also have more of a sense of what you are learning, if you happen to work in the same industry. It is one thing to learn about designing a heat exchanger, and a whole other thing to see one working in the field, and be pulled apart to see all of the different parts. I also found that people I work with could help out with class assignments or answer questions, and another thing I found was that when I had homework due, I could stay late at work and do my homework. An empty office with all the supplies and computers and internet is even better than a crowded library, plus I always get distracted at home if theres a tv on.

Sorry for the long post, hope I answered you question somewhere in that ramble.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:22 AM   #26
blackbubblebum
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Most UC's are quarter.... I'm attending one now btw..................
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 03:43 AM   #27
rdkind62
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
http://www.ciachef.edu/admissions/finaid/tuition.asp for 2007-2008 school year
http://www.ciachef.edu/admissions/fi...uition0809.asp for 2008-2009 school year

It's about $22k - $28k/year there, based on the year you are in . It's insane to say this, but that's (relatively) cheap compared to most of the schools out there, other than public/state school.
Thanks for posting that. I have been on their website several times and never seen that breakdown.
      05-21-2008, 03:50 AM   #28
Chop79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
The US Air Force Academy is free. But they don't have a Culinary program.:iono:
      05-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #29
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop79 View Post
There are short-term NCO programs for the USMC, USAF, and the Army. They do send a lot of their students to the CIA and other culinary schools on occasion.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #30
rdkind62
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop79 View Post
Thats only about 5 miles from my house. At least he would be close to home.
      05-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #31
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

In-state in FL you can get some really good scholarships (given to practically everyone) which makes tuition about $1500 per semester or $3k per year.

If you are a slightly better student and do some community service, you get school for free, and usually books. But I wasn't that organized.

If you buy books the first semester (buy only what you NEED, buy online) you can generally turn those into (by selling) your second semester books. Online you can expect to pay about 300 for all the books. I think I only went out of pocket about $50 per semester usually. Recently I haven't bought books, just borrowed them from friends that had already taken the class.

No scholarships expect to pay 4500-6000 per semester depending on course load. then again this is public, you are looking at private culinary school, so of course this is comparing apples and potatoes.

My advice is that he make absolutely sure thats what he wants to do before spending that kind of money, I know lots of kids that change their minds when they find out what is involved in any major. Have him talk to some working chefs in positions he aspires to be in to see if thats what he wants for his life.

Kyle
Appreciate 0