E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Asking for a raise?

05-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #67
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimisa1977 View Post
to be honest (as a boss), the economy is real tough for business owners these days. the fact you got a raise, albiet measly, is still a decent show of compassion and care.

if you like your work environment, stay.

if you're ithcing for a change, CHANGE!
You have a 335i and a 360 modena... define "tough".
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #68
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You have a 335i and a 360 modena... define "tough".
What - so should dimisusa lose everything he gained while the economy was good, just b/c its sour now? Your statement is misleading. What if he paid off his Ferrari (if he has one) when the going was good? He could still be suffering now in the sense that his bonus is crap to non-existent in comparison with previous years?

The whole point of capitalism is that you can make it, anyone is free to do so, and you do get nice things. It doesn't suddenly equalize just b/c there's a rough time.

Dimisusa - if you've got a Ferrari - props! Although I love them, and hey, who knows, maybe even be able to afford one in 20-30 years from now...I'm not sure I'd buy one...I suspect I just couldn't pull the trigger I think I'd go for a p-car instead....a nice turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #69
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
What - so should dimisusa lose everything he gained while the economy was good, just b/c its sour now? Your statement is misleading. What if he paid off his Ferrari (if he has one) when the going was good? He could still be suffering now in the sense that his bonus is crap to non-existent in comparison with previous years?

The whole point of capitalism is that you can make it, anyone is free to do so, and you do get nice things. It doesn't suddenly equalize just b/c there's a rough time.

Dimisusa - if you've got a Ferrari - props! Although I love them, and hey, who knows, maybe even be able to afford one in 20-30 years from now...I'm not sure I'd buy one...I suspect I just couldn't pull the trigger I think I'd go for a p-car instead....a nice turbo.
Hence the reason I said Define "Tough". If you can afford to have a 335i and a 360 Modena I don't consider that tough at all. Tough to me is when you can no longer afford to live how you are used to, not when you only make $X more than the above average American instead of $2X more.

I agree, props if you can afford any car worth $200K+ .. It'll be a while before I will be able to.

Guess I am just taking out supressed anger from highschool (rich area) when kids would say their parents had a 'rough' year so they could only buy them a brand new 3 series instead of an M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #70
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post
thanks mantis,
shes at her bottom if anything. shes one year out of college, trained a new person who doesnt know sh%t but has experience and makes 15g's more than she does. 15g's is a BIG difference any way you cut it...she gets a 2g increase? are you kidding me? lol...

honestly I think they are exploiting her talent
Either that or she's not as good as you say (don't take it the wrong way, i'm just a 3rd party observer ). Alot of people think they're alot better than they really are, esp if they live in their own little world.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #71
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
it also depends bro on what her base is. if she's at her cap then she cant get a raise regardless where she goes, not a fat raise anyway.

i remember my first job when i was getting like 50k or something my 6 month raise was like 20%... then that % kept on decreasing

but still less than 5% is pretty insulting IMO. if she thinks she's at her max in her industry/position she should pursue a different position, or time to go back to school for MBA or law or something
Yup, if your pay is already at the high end of the list, you won't be getting much of an increase unless your title changes. What is her title?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #72
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Yeah, True enough... My salary skyrocketed for about 5 years, then I tapped out, moved across country and I have probably gotten about a total of 5% increase in 3 years... I slammed into a cap, and without putting my suit and tie back on, I'll most likely be right here till I retire or change careers entirely.

I'm at the upper end of where I should be given the market, education, experience, and company size so yeah there it is. 35 and Maxed out, I have options but I enjoy what I am doing so yeah...
That sounds about right... I got excellent double digit raises when I was in my 20's. In my 30's they were single digits and now I'm lucky to hold onto a job because they're more than happy to pay the twenty something half as much.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #73
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Either that or she's not as good as you say (don't take it the wrong way, i'm just a 3rd party observer ). Alot of people think they're alot better than they really are, esp if they live in their own little world.
I was thinking the same thing, but held off posting something that would "insult" the OP.

If she was as good as you say she is, they'd pay her more. Seems to me that whatever it is that she does really isn't that hard to do and would have no problems finding someone else to take her spot. She should be happy with what she gets after being out of school for such a short time and considering how umemployment is right now.
      05-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #74
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Hence the reason I said Define "Tough". If you can afford to have a 335i and a 360 Modena I don't consider that tough at all. Tough to me is when you can no longer afford to live how you are used to, not when you only make $X more than the above average American instead of $2X more.

I agree, props if you can afford any car worth $200K+ .. It'll be a while before I will be able to.

Guess I am just taking out supressed anger from highschool (rich area) when kids would say their parents had a 'rough' year so they could only buy them a brand new 3 series instead of an M3.
He said tough for business owners. That means we're having a hard time keeping the company growing, or even maintaining current revenue levels. That means it's tough to keep the people we have employed. It has nothing to do with our personal assets, or even the assets of the business.

When I feel beaten down, or don't want to do something at work that I must do, and all other motivation is gone, it's my 18 direct reports and their families that depend on me for a paycheck that keeps me going, not to mention every other employee that's depending on me to do my job and bring in the profit to keep them employed. Right now, in this economy, I'm having a very hard time keeping paychecks going out to my guys (or gals) and their famililes. I work for a Fortune 100 company, and it's not a bottomless pit of money. We have shareholders that expect a return on investment, and when the revenue slows, people must go to keep the profits where the shareholders want to see them.

Before you flame me for that last statement, you better think real hard about your stock or mutual fund holdings. I'm willing to bet a large number of you hold stock in my company, and are very happy to see it has doubled the last 3 years, and is holding steady in this market.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #75
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but held off posting something that would "insult" the OP.

If she was as good as you say she is, they'd pay her more. Seems to me that whatever it is that she does really isn't that hard to do and would have no problems finding someone else to take her spot. She should be happy with what she gets after being out of school for such a short time and considering how umemployment is right now.
No worries guys, I'm not afraid of reality..lol...I was just restatign what my g/f had said about her review...she even brought it home to me and read me the comments...

********* UPDATE******************
she talked to the director about a raise and he said " i think we got something in the works"
lol..i just hope its green and not pink!
snap!!!!
lol

wow this thread really turned into a constructive one!
      05-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #76
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries guys, I'm not afraid of reality..lol...I was just restatign what my g/f had said about her review...she even brought it home to me and read me the comments...

********* UPDATE******************
she talked to the director about a raise and he said " i think we got something in the works"
lol..i just hope its green and not pink!
snap!!!!
lol

wow this thread really turned into a constructive one!
They that's really good to hear. I didn't want to post anything that would piss you off (as army dude aluded to), but sometimes I want to hear it even if it's not something I wanna hear.

What does she do as a sw engineer? It's odd that if she's a sw engineer they make her do other things besides programming.

At my old job, we had a female engineer from stanford. She's down to earth, but that girl can code and can fix any bugs we throw at her. On the other hand, we hired a sw engineer from china with a phd, but she could not complete any assignments assigned to her. We ended up putting her in integration and build and she failed and was later let go .

It sounds like your GF had rave reviews so I'm sure there was some sort of mistake. GL!
Gary

Gary
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #77
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
They that's really good to hear. I didn't want to post anything that would piss you off (as army dude aluded to), but sometimes I want to hear it even if it's not something I wanna hear.

What does she do as a sw engineer? It's odd that if she's a sw engineer they make her do other things besides programming.

At my old job, we had a female engineer from stanford. She's down to earth, but that girl can code and can fix any bugs we throw at her. On the other hand, we hired a sw engineer from china with a phd, but she could not complete any assignments assigned to her. We ended up putting her in integration and build and she failed and was later let go .

It sounds like your GF had rave reviews so I'm sure there was some sort of mistake. GL!
Gary

Gary
hey Gary,
in short, she makes satellites move. there is some h/w s/w integration so sometimes she'll have to hook shit up and connect the computer to the sat to test it. when it breaks shes had to try to figure out whats goin on when they are shorthanded...i guess thats what happens with a small company...

the company i work for is huge, so I'm just a cell on a spreadsheet! hahaha
      05-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #78
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

JL - that's good to hear about a possible raise - let us know if its good news!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #79
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hey Gary,
in short, she makes satellites move. there is some h/w s/w integration so sometimes she'll have to hook shit up and connect the computer to the sat to test it. when it breaks shes had to try to figure out whats goin on when they are shorthanded...i guess thats what happens with a small company...

the company i work for is huge, so I'm just a cell on a spreadsheet! hahaha
yeah if she has to figure stuff out, she's most likely an asset to the company...
congrats, you guys are doing well just out of college, esp with your combined income (unless you live in CA... ...

Gary
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #80
jlspeed29
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
thanks all!!!
yes we live in SoCal..lol.....
so the director tells her she got her raise 8%!!! much better than 3.7%!
funny thing is he said "it pays to ask"...interesting! lol....

i would say definitely an asset, she was the main programmer on this recent product for one of their big customers and she basically made it happen! im very proud of her!
needless to say she's the breadwinner at this point in time! lol...and thats a-ok with me!
      05-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #81
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

congrats...

while we are on topic, read this:
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-arti...ng_a_raise-398
      05-20-2008, 07:30 PM   #82
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

Most jobs aren't gonna be perfect, and chances are there will always be something to bitch about. A lot of people who hate their jobs don't quit cuz you are basically taking the chance of leaving one crappy job for another. I know a lot of people who quit their jobs at my company, just to be miserable at their new jobs and have asked to come back. That being said, I do agree in order to make a change in your life you have to get yourself out of a bad situation...just make sure you are positioning yourself into a better one.
I manage people in my job and write reviews and give raises. Our raises range from 0% for a below meets to around 8% for exceeding expectations. We also add merit increases at around 2-3% on top of that. May not sound like a lot, but that's around industry standard. But we also provide great benefits which include some of the best medical insurance coverage. We also provide 2 bonuses a year that can equate to 1-2 months salary depending on how long you've been with the company. We also have one of the best retirement plans in which the company contributes/matches 15% of your annual salary automatically. Sometimes you have to look at the entire package...and not just your raise.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #83
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptObvious View Post
I finally asked for a raise last week & was told other owner will be in town Thanksgiving week so we'll let you know then. 3 weeks to figure it out? GFY.

I emailed them the sheet I made up as to why I deserve it & what my requests are afterward. Be happy to send it to anyone it may help.
Did the below make it on to this sheet you made up explaining why you deserve a raise...or was it omitted?

Quote:

Sometimes I just call companies with my phone on mute & wait for them to hang up so it looks like I am working.
Appreciate 3
Alfisti6496.00
________4158.50
      11-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #84
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I finally asked for a raise last week & was told other owner will be in town Thanksgiving week so we'll let you know then. 3 weeks to figure it out? GFY.

I emailed them the sheet I made up as to why I deserve it & what my requests are afterward. Be happy to send it to anyone it may help.
Well you can add "Thread necromancer" to your previous experience.
Appreciate 3
________4158.50
      11-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #85
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4bmw View Post
That is an incredible run you have had and most people should not expect that much fortune. Starting at $100K and 5 yrs of 30% raise would have a salary of $371K. Being a straight salary (which a raise is based on versus commissions or bonuses added in) with that type of increase deserves congratulations. Congrats!

For the OP: Without a promotion or job change, a 5% or slightly less average per year is normal but would be low for a performer. If the gf truly performs better than her co-workers and the company is doing well, she should expect more. It is a tough economy right now for most companies and thus negatively affects their ability to reward employees. As soon as you are not adding to your worth, whether through compensation or skills/knowledge, it is time to move on to something new.
jaiman makes nowhere near $371k/year. 97-98%+ of posters on this forum make nowhere near that figure.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #86
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I have greatly increased my post activity on Bimmerpost in the past year and have received many likes for that activity.

I think it's time for the admins to give me a raise.
Appreciate 4
________4158.50
eluded3002.00
      11-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #87
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I have greatly increased my post activity on Bimmerpost in the past year and have received many likes for that activity.

I'm acting as a conduit for the admins here to pass along their message to you.

Any raises will only be considered once your appreciate to post ratio has become greater than 1:1. Anything below that suggests you are not contributing enough, and therefore unworthy of any raise.

Upon reaching a 1:1 appreciate to post ratio, a raise will be considered at the end of 12 months and will be dependent on the degree to which this ratio continues to improve over the full 12 months so that we can accurately determine your performance.

You can expect to receive anywhere between 1% to 17% raise on your current rate of pay at that time.

Just as a FYI - raises become even more significant once your appreciate to post ratio gets higher than 2:1 like my own ratio. Last year, the raise they gave me was 39%!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #88
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post

I'm acting as a conduit for the admins here to pass along their message to you.

Any raises will only be considered once your appreciate to post ratio has become greater than 1:1. Anything below that suggests you are not contributing enough, and therefore unworthy of any raise.

Upon reaching a 1:1 appreciate to post ratio, a raise will be considered at the end of 12 months and will be dependent on the degree to which this ratio continues to improve over the full 12 months so that we can accurately determine your performance.

You can expect to receive anywhere between 1% to 17% raise on your current rate of pay at that time.

Just as a FYI - raises become even more significant once your appreciate to post ratio gets higher than 2:1 like my own ratio. Last year, the raise they gave me was 39%!!!
That is great and I'm on it! It's heartening to know that a 39% raise is possible. Applying that to my current salary of $0, I would stand to earn a whopping...$0!!
Appreciate 0