E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Nikon D40x vs. Canon Rebel Xti

11-11-2007, 11:56 PM   #45
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 550i

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Joonsup -

Either of the cameras you're considering will give you years of enjoyment. Each is well engineered, but one consideration is which one feels better in your hands. Try each .... have the store put some glass on them and take some photos, paying particular attention to where the adjustment buttons / dials are on each.

I have the XTi .... but have no doubt the Nikon is pretty much a comparable body. That being said, these are higher quality upper end consumer SLR's ... they're not professional quality.

Most important is the GLASS and attachments (Flashes aka Speedlites). The built-in flashes work, but are next to hopeless for better quality shots. As far as the GLASS (lenses) go, if I were to buy either I'd purchase only the body and take the money you save and upgrade to a couple of quality lenses. The better the lens, the better the photos (well ... most often ). I'd stick with NIKON glass for Nikons and CANON glass for the Canon. I've spent almost $5K on glass and assorted accessories, and consider it a sound investment (these lenses will fit on the higher end professional bodies should you wish to upgrade)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 11:57 PM   #46
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
You understand grey market now?
yes i understand it now thanks to you. great help man. i was at circuit city yesterday to get a feel for both the nikon and canon and i still can't make up my mind. I may have to flip a coin or something. haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #47
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
Joonsup -

Either of the cameras you're considering will give you years of enjoyment. Each is well engineered, but one consideration is which one feels better in your hands. Try each .... have the store put some glass on them and take some photos, paying particular attention to where the adjustment buttons / dials are on each.

I have the XTi .... but have no doubt the Nikon is pretty much a comparable body. That being said, these are higher quality upper end consumer SLR's ... they're not professional quality.

Most important is the GLASS and attachments (Flashes aka Speedlites). The built-in flashes work, but are next to hopeless for better quality shots. As far as the GLASS (lenses) go, if I were to buy either I'd purchase only the body and take the money you save and upgrade to a couple of quality lenses. The better the lens, the better the photos (well ... most often ). I'd stick with NIKON glass for Nikons and CANON glass for the Canon. I've spent almost $5K on glass and assorted accessories, and consider it a sound investment (these lenses will fit on the higher end professional bodies should you wish to upgrade)
Thanks for your advice Calgary. As i am a beginner I think the lens that the kit comes with will be sufficient enough for me until i learn more of how to become a better photographer. At first I wanted a camera to take pictures of my car, but I would like to be able to take pictures of other things as well ie people, nature, etc.. And i think by the time i become more sufficient in taking pictures, I'll be ready for different lenses.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:03 AM   #48
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
I'm looking at the canon rebel xti online and I notice it comes in eitiher black OR silver. Silver looks flashy, but not sure if it's too "loud". Not as classy as the black body. I wonder if anyone that's "serious" about photography goes for the silver one
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:08 AM   #49
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
I'm looking at the canon rebel xti online and I notice it comes in eitiher black OR silver. Silver looks flashy, but not sure if it's too "loud". Not as classy as the black body. I wonder if anyone that's "serious" about photography goes for the silver one
It's not about the look of the camera, it's about the look of the image. Canon is known for their white lens bodies, so it's hard to say. Most higher end cameras only come in black.....idk, I've always liked black as it wont show wear as quickly.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #50
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
It's not about the look of the camera, it's about the look of the image. Canon is known for their white lens bodies, so it's hard to say. Most higher end cameras only come in black.....idk, I've always liked black as it wont show wear as quickly.
I will have to meditate and go back to the store and mess around with both the nikon and canon. I know compared to the professional quality cameras the d40x and xti don't seem that expensive, and that either one will be a good entry level camera, but for me it's a big investment and I just want to be sure of which one I want before purchasing it. I appreciate all the help everyone has contributed from my posting. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #51
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for your advice Calgary. As i am a beginner I think the lens that the kit comes with will be sufficient enough for me until i learn more of how to become a better photographer. At first I wanted a camera to take pictures of my car, but I would like to be able to take pictures of other things as well ie people, nature, etc..
LOL ..... The lens that comes with the body (at least for the Canon) is sh*t. Let me dig mine out .... it's in the bottom of my bag, where it's been since I replaced it with some higher end Canon glass.

Here it is, Canon EFS 18-55 (zoom). What a piece of cr*p. Fortunately I knew the quality of the photos from my new camera were suffering due to the quality of lens, and simply bought some superior glass. Save yourself a lot of frustration and skip the 18-55 lens ..... get yourself the EFS 10-18 if you want some quality shots of your car. A portrait lens (something close to 85mm) would also be recommended.

BTW ... the XTi (and all Digital SLR's) have what's called a focal length conversion factor (1.6 for the XTi). Be aware that any lens you use will have an effective focal length of 1.6 times what appears on lens .....
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #52
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Agent View Post
LOL ..... The lens that comes with the body (at least for the Canon) is sh*t. Let me dig mine out .... it's in the bottom of my bag, where it's been since I replaced it with some higher end Canon glass.

Here it is, Canon EFS 18-55 (zoom). What a piece of cr*p. Fortunately I knew the quality of the photos from my new camera were suffering due to the quality of lens, and simply bought some superior glass. Save yourself a lot of frustration and skip the 18-55 lens ..... get yourself the EFS 10-18 if you want some quality shots of your car. A portrait lens (something close to 85mm) would also be recommended.

BTW ... the XTi (and all Digital SLR's) have what's called a focal length conversion factor (1.6 for the XTi). Be aware that any lens you use will have an effective focal length of 1.6 times what appears on lens .....
ok im gonna have to copy and paste what you just said about the focal length, etc.. haha. what else do i need to remember... ok 18-55 lens on the xti is sh-t. How about the standard lense on the nikon. i wonder if that one is any better than the canon lense
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #53
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

I just picked up a D40x while at the Sema show in Vegas. It came with two lenses. The 18-55 and the 55-200. I shot about 400 pictures so far in auto mode and they look pretty nice. Now I just need to take a photography class to learn how to use this thing.
      11-12-2007, 12:31 AM   #54
Calgary Agent
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 F10 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
How about the standard lense on the nikon. i wonder if that one is any better than the canon lense
I seriously doubt it .... . My wide-angle (10-22) lens cost nearly twice what the camera body did ...... .
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:42 AM   #55
Etnies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by second_2_nun View Post
d40x all the way this was my first slr I love it 10.2 megapixels versus I think 8 megapixels on the canon
Canon Rebel XTi is 10.1MP.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 05:33 AM   #56
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
ok im gonna have to copy and paste what you just said about the focal length, etc.. haha. what else do i need to remember... ok 18-55 lens on the xti is sh-t. How about the standard lense on the nikon. i wonder if that one is any better than the canon lense
There's an 18-70mm kit lens with the nikon that is quite good. You can also get an 18-200 in the package, and while I've not shot it, it is reviewed as one of the greatest lenses that Nikon has made. It would be worth checking, as 18-200 (27-300mm effective) is a broad range, and it includes VR.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #57
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quick question. For either camera, if I wanted to take black and white pictures, would that be possible or is that only for non digital cameras?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #58
jerrym
Second Lieutenant
China
Rep
Drives: GT35R Pinto

i like the XTI better.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #59
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Quick question. For either camera, if I wanted to take black and white pictures, would that be possible or is that only for non digital cameras?
Yes you can shot B&W.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #60
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Yes you can. You can setup the camera to do B&W, or you can do it in software. With the Nikon, the Capture NX does this in post-processing just as if it were being done in the camera when the image was recorded, assuming you shoot in RAW.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #61
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Yes you can. You can setup the camera to do B&W, or you can do it in software. With the Nikon, the Capture NX does this in post-processing just as if it were being done in the camera when the image was recorded, assuming you shoot in RAW.
cool. thanks again for the help.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #62
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
i like the XTI better.
it'd help if you gave some supporting arguments to why that is. But be prepared b/c turbo will have a very strong rebuttal probably. haha
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #63
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
it'd help if you gave some supporting arguments to why that is. But be prepared b/c turbo will have a very strong rebuttal probably. haha
hahaha....naaa, to each their own. I had my reasons for choosing Nikon over Canon, but everyone is different. Canon is a very good brand of camera, nothing wrong with them at all. A camera is a light tight box with a hole. What really matters is getting a camera and learning to use it.

I do think that if your going to come out strongly for one thing over another, you should post supporting reasons, but hey, what do I know.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #64
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
hahaha....naaa, to each their own. I had my reasons for choosing Nikon over Canon, but everyone is different. Canon is a very good brand of camera, nothing wrong with them at all. A camera is a light tight box with a hole. What really matters is getting a camera and learning to use it.

I do think that if your going to come out strongly for one thing over another, you should post supporting reasons, but hey, what do I know.
a helluv a lot more than a lot of these monkeys. lol. i ended up purchasing the canon (i'm ashamed to say as you made so many good points about the nikon). I went to the store and got a feel for both and i just liked how the canon felt as I was holding it. Just felt more comfortable to me. I just went with my first gut feeling since now I know it's the photographer and the lense that makes a huge difference, and not the body. It should arrive tomorrow and I know i'll be reading every single word in the manual this weekend. Thanks for all the help turbo. I"m sure I'll be posting some new threads as I have more questions since i'm a newb. haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 05:36 PM   #65
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
a helluv a lot more than a lot of these monkeys. lol. i ended up purchasing the canon (i'm ashamed to say as you made so many good points about the nikon). I went to the store and got a feel for both and i just liked how the canon felt as I was holding it. Just felt more comfortable to me. I just went with my first gut feeling since now I know it's the photographer and the lense that makes a huge difference, and not the body. It should arrive tomorrow and I know i'll be reading every single word in the manual this weekend. Thanks for all the help turbo. I"m sure I'll be posting some new threads as I have more questions since i'm a newb. haha.
Congratulations! I look forward to seeing your pictures.

A camera should be an extension of your mind and body. The camera that feels the most natural is the one you should buy. The name on the front is meaningless. Happy shooting!

Start saving for your first lenses. This is an addicting hobby!

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #66
knight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: aw 330i

Quote:
Congratulations! I look forward to seeing your pictures.

A camera should be an extension of your mind and body. The camera that feels the most natural is the one you should buy. The name on the front is meaningless. Happy shooting!

Start saving for your first lenses. This is an addicting hobby!
+1, congratulations on the camera

who cares that you didn't get a nikon like turbo wanted you to, stick it to him!!! CANON FTW!!! all jokes turbo

now it's time for you to put that camera to use and take some pics!!!
Appreciate 0