E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Panasonic Lumix Lx-2: opinions needed

01-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Panasonic Lumix Lx-2: opinions needed

Does anyone have a first-hand experience with this compact camera? The reviews are really mixed. I'm very attracted to it by the leica lense (and the fact that it's a twin-brother of Leica D lux 3), multitude of features, and comprehensive manual controls. The reported negative part is that supposedly, the new venus engine is too aggressive in reducing noise at even low ISOs, which reportedly results in smudged images and reduced IQ overall.

Any opinions are much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

I dunno, but I bought 2 Leica D Lux 3s and loved em' both. Sold em' both and bought a Canon G9 but not because they were inferior by any means. I was just looking for the right compact camera for me this summer and ended up taking the long road. Bought one, sold it, bought another, sold it to a buddy who was headed to Mexico and needed a Camera right then.

I'd go ahead and get the Leica D Lux 3. They are wonderful cameras, have a great feel to them and hell they are stylish... A little more money than the Panasonic sure, but the little bit of extra style and feel is worth it I think. especially if you like high quality things, the Leica has a terrific feel to it. Although you should check out the G9 cause it's a feature rich camera that also has a great feel and 12 megapixels for $500...

FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to spend a little extra on the Leica or Get the G9. Both of them rock.

I've been buying from 17th Street Camera, they are authorized dealers and so far their service and prices have been excellent. Here's the Leica and here's the Canon G9, for the Money $435 it's a winner!

So Even though I totally steered around your question regarding the Lumix, I hope I was helpful. Besides, you just cannot be running around with a camera called a lumix, WAY to much like
Quote:
lummox
n : an awkward stupid person [syn: lout, klutz, clod, stumblebum,
goon, oaf, lubber, lump, gawk]

Happy hunting, and seriously give 17th street a try, no taxes, and fast shipping.
      01-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Thanks Revlis. I prefer a wide angle camera, so G9 doesn't qualify for that reason. I'll still give a try to "lummox" lx-2, since most of the reviewers report that it's virtually identical to D lux 3.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
Thanks Revlis. I prefer a wide angle camera, so G9 doesn't qualify for that reason. I'll still give a try to "lummox" lx-2, since most of the reviewers report that it's virtually identical to D lux 3.
It's supposed to be good stuff, just slightly different camera bodies and some firmware.

But I'm telling ya, if you like nice toys the Leica has the little something extra. I like the G9, but I do miss the wide angle lens though.