Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-07-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
fueledbymetal
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 6spd, Cayman GTS 4.0

Downpipe install difficulty?

It appears the downpipes are bolt-on, so I was wondering how difficult it would be to install them with the stock exhaust in my garage on jackstands. Any special tools or equipment needed? For reference I have basic wrenching skills and had no problem swapping the entire exhaust on my Scion FR-S & old WRX that way.
      12-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
teamwerx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Would like to know as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

Honestly I found it way easier installing it on a lift. The process is easier. It will take two hour just about and then also easier if you drop the exhaust. I have installed quite a few on the F80s and it's just easier dropping the exhaust and a lift.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
It appears the downpipes are bolt-on, so I was wondering how difficult it would be to install them with the stock exhaust in my garage on jackstands. Any special tools or equipment needed? For reference I have basic wrenching skills and had no problem swapping the entire exhaust on my Scion FR-S & old WRX that way.
You will need an external torx socket for the joint between the charge pipe and compressor housing of the turbo. If you're going to DIY on a BMW, it is good to have an assortment of regular torx sockets and external torx sockets.

I did the JB4 and downpipes install at the same time. It was very easy to connect to the electronic wastegates with the OEM downpipes removed.

It actually is a pretty simple install and I think that you'll have no problem.

EDIT:

I did the install on a M4 on jack stands in a driveway and did not remove the exhaust.
Appreciate 1