E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > Rolex

09-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #375
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark666 View Post
I have one to add, too
A lefty, huh? My brother in law is a lefty and has the same exact watch

Check this out on your mobile phone. You can tap the bezel to rotate. I made it using SVG and JavaScript. The SVG was created in Adobe Illustrator and exported to SVG. I just opened the SVG file in a text editor to do the JavaScript.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...mt/mobile.html
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #376
BCMgunner
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 - MG, DCT, Steel Brakes

Deciding between an exhaust and tune for my M4 vs. a submariner ain't easy!

Likely going Submariner!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #377
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMgunner View Post

Likely going Submariner!
go tune and exhaust. bought a seadweller and wanna sell now dont enjoy it that much.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #378
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsurf View Post
Pretty work! How much was the deep sea?
Not sure if you are asking me but that particular deep sea is $15k CAD.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #379
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMgunner View Post

Likely going Submariner!
The Sub will probably hold it's value better than the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 04:58 AM   #380
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

[QUOTE=jebsurf;16690795]Good call . As serious...... I'm no rich man, BUT I have no problem paying for a $6k SS rolex. It's a every day starter watch for the wife to sport/bang around.If she don't lose it and takes care of it... I'll upgrade her later. But as she would say in my fave workout shirt.....(pic taken in my double wide/watch box in right side of pic)

Not a rich man, but $6k for a bang around watch.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #381
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I couldn't find my wife's wrist and hand at that moment but I happened to find her good old Lady Datejust

I got my SD4K may 14th this year. I adjusted it that day. It's running 25s fast now... And it has been running 25s fast for 2.5 months now. Incredible movement, the 3135 Parachrom Bleu.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #382
jebsurf
Rep
Drives: N/A(yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Oh, they're real. Of course, I guess that depends on what one means by real. Titan Black is a watch customizer. They start with a luxury, take them apart, change out parts, coat parts, apply custom engraving/printing, etc, then put them back together and charge a grip. There's big money in that business, but personally, I'd probably stay away.

Not that anyone buys watches as an investment, but if at some time in the future you need to recover some of the money you spent on the watch, you're far better off with a "stock" Rolex. Rolex watches, curiously enough, retain their value very well. I say that's "curious", because a lot of horology snobs look down their nose at them. Rolex produces a lot of watches, so there's a certain kind of watch person that simply can't look past that.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Good call sticking with a Rolex on the master model list. You'll thank yourself later when you want to trade-in.

Oh, and one more thing. I'd probably keep her. She seems like a great sport
Hmmmm good to know. And yeah... I feel ya. I have to school family every once and a while on a little $ lesson when some ask "why a Rolex". I went to trade in the wife's engagement ring on a bigger one a while back, and I was HIGHLY disappointed when I found out that the $8k ring would only bring 10-20% on its return on the used market. I was hook line and sinker tho when I bought it and they were telling me how well the "Hearts on Fire" would hold it's value. But I was 20 years old at the time and didn't know any better. And since we now have our rings tattooed on... it was pointless anyway. So I started to search the market of something a little different that would hold its value much better. And thats when I found out about the Rolex market. As I never look at ANY jewelry as an investment..... it damn sure holds it's value better then a diamond and that's for sure! I've seen returns as much as 60-80% of retail, which I'm 100% ok with. Anyhoot... my ramble on that too. And FWIW....she is the only one she know's out of her friends, that has a Rolex.... but every last one of them has a diamond, so its win win in my book

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Not sure if you are asking me but that particular deep sea is $15k CAD.
Nice! I'm a Cert Advance,EANx,Open water diver so that watch really appeals to me. Not that I would push it to it's potential, but yeah. Nice snag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post

Not a rich man, but $6k for a bang around watch.
I guess that's all a matter of opinion. My BIL has a new private plane, yacht's, couple multi million $ vacation homes, and a new $250k Mercedes SLS...... IMO he is "rich" hahaha. Me.... I'm just doing ok.

Last edited by jebsurf; 09-26-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #383
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Oh, [Titan Black modified Rolexes are] real.

...lif at some time in the future you need to recover some of the money you spent on the watch, you're far better off with a "stock" Rolex. Rolex watches, curiously enough, retain their value very well.I say that's "curious", because a lot of horology snobs look down their nose at them. Rolex produces a lot of watches, so there's a certain kind of watch person that simply can't look past that.
Do they? I confess to (deliberately) not knowing too well folks whom I consider snobs. I do know a few folks who are very "into" watches and to a lesser extent the science of time measurement, horology. One of them isn't keen to own a Rolex herself, but she has plenty of respect and regard for the company as well as the watches it makes. She wouldn't ever tell someone that a Rolex is a bad watch or that there's a good reason not to consider buying one.

There's no question that she feels there are other makes of watch that better display the attributes she values most in fine watches. That, however, is not her being snobbish against Rolex and its watches. It's quite simply a matter that she has limited resources, none of the watches she likes/wants are inexpensive, and so, given her strong awareness of what she prizes most in watches and what's available, when she has a tidy sum saved up to spend, she puts it toward watches other than Rolexes.

I suspect that were I to bring her a fake Rolex back from the PRC, she might get a kick out of wearing it a couple times for the aesthetics, but as I'd never give her such an item, that remains something neither of us will know for sure, at least not as far as my having anything to do it. If she becomes a multi-hundred million dollar lottery winner, I'm sure she'd buy a Rolex. In fact, I'm pretty sure she'd buy me one too.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #384
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Do they? I confess to (deliberately) not knowing too well folks whom I consider snobs. I do know a few folks who are very "into" watches and to a lesser extent the science of time measurement, horology. One of them isn't keen to own a Rolex herself, but she has plenty of respect and regard for the company as well as the watches it makes. She wouldn't ever tell someone that a Rolex is a bad watch or that there's a good reason not to consider buying one.

There's no question that she feels there are other makes of watch that better display the attributes she values most in fine watches. That, however, is not her being snobbish against Rolex and its watches. It's quite simply a matter that she has limited resources, none of the watches she likes/wants are inexpensive, and so, given her strong awareness of what she prizes most in watches and what's available, when she has a tidy sum saved up to spend, she puts it toward watches other than Rolexes.

I suspect that were I to bring her a fake Rolex back from the PRC, she might get a kick out of wearing it a couple times for the aesthetics, but as I'd never give her such an item, that remains something neither of us will know for sure, at least not as far as my having anything to do it. If she becomes a multi-hundred million dollar lottery winner, I'm sure she'd buy a Rolex. In fact, I'm pretty sure she'd buy me one too.

All the best.
Yeah, I wouldn't say she's a horology snob at all. Her views on Rolex are nuanced. "Snobs" don't know the meaning of nuance. They go searching for absolutes which they can wield in conversation in an effort to bolster their ego.

To back up a second, I use the term horology snob as a derogatory title. I wouldn't say I know any personally, but I've run in to a few here and there. They're just like every other kind of jerk you can find. Most people are, by and large, good and friendly people. Occasionally, you'll find someone who is a jerk. Those people tend to populate internet watch forums in large numbers

So, I wouldn't say there's any statistically significant group within the watch community that looks down on Rolex, but you won't have much trouble finding someone who will scoff at your purchase. The group harboring this view has settled down a bit too. There was a time (just before the re-introduction of the Milgauss by my recollection), where there was a bit of a negative sentiment developing around Rolex. That sentiment would best be summarized that "Rolex is the kind of watch bought by someone with too much money and not enough insight." It's kind of the nastier side of your friend's more nuanced views. Needless to say, I'm glad the community seems to have moved beyond those views. I absolutely love my watch, and I don't give a damn if some jerk thinks I'm a fool for buying it
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #385
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't say she's a horology snob at all. Her views on Rolex are nuanced. "Snobs" don't know the meaning of nuance. They go searching for absolutes which they can wield in conversation in an effort to bolster their ego.

To back up a second, I use the term horology snob as a derogatory title. I wouldn't say I know any personally, but I've run in to a few here and there. They're just like every other kind of jerk you can find. Most people are, by and large, good and friendly people. Occasionally, you'll find someone who is a jerk. Those people tend to populate internet watch forums in large numbers

So, I wouldn't say there's any statistically significant group within the watch community that looks down on Rolex, but you won't have much trouble finding someone who will scoff at your purchase. The group harboring this view has settled down a bit too. There was a time (just before the re-introduction of the Milgauss by my recollection), where there was a bit of a negative sentiment developing around Rolex. That sentiment would best be summarized that "Rolex is the kind of watch bought by someone with too much money and not enough insight." It's kind of the nastier side of your friend's more nuanced views. Needless to say, I'm glad the community seems to have moved beyond those views. I absolutely love my watch, and I don't give a damn if some jerk thinks I'm a fool for buying it
Red:
I hadn't ever thought of it in the language you used, but I like the words you chose to do so; it's elegantly apt.

Blue:
There are still adamant "Rolex haters" around. They are statistically insignificant, as you said, but they are very vocal. LOL

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #386
filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Cars and watches goes well together. Here are a few of mine. Also have other brands but since this is a Rolex thread.
I also have Daytona SS black dial (not at home) and on order the new Deepsea D-Blue Dial.
for the Hulk. It's my daily wear since it can take the most abuse. I realize that the rest of my watches are almost never (1-2/year) being worn and just stay on the winder.
      10-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #387
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Today i traded up! I traded in my Submariner (plus some $$) for a mint, box and papers Seadweller.

I like this watch better than the Sub, it doesn't dig into my wrist at the crown, and I find the date easier to read without the cyclops (I don't have to "aim" to see the date).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I couldn't find my wife's wrist and hand at that moment but I happened to find her good old Lady Datejust

I got my SD4K may 14th this year. I adjusted it that day. It's running 25s fast now... And it has been running 25s fast for 2.5 months now. Incredible movement, the 3135 Parachrom Bleu.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #388
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

here's a crappy pic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 02:10 AM   #389
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
here's a crappy pic.
That is not a crappy pic, no matter how much nicer it could be.

I've long known I can't hold a camera steady enough to take even a passable pic, which is why I don't take watch pics. I'm not going to get out a tripod and have film developed so I can take a reasonably passable photo of a watch I can see anytime I want to. LOL.

I was discussing with someone how small the date aperture is on one of my watches and I'd hoped to convey a sense of that via the pic. What a waste of time that was.
  • Tale the pic.
  • Try to upload the pic
  • Get a message saying the pic is too big
  • Find the photo editing program
  • Figure out how to resize the photo
  • Retry uploading the pic
  • Preview the uploaded pic and discover that it's so horrible that it wasn't worth sending.
The thing is I have only myself to blame for I knew before I tried that that would be exactly what would happen. So went the first and last pic, and watch pic, I will ever take.

Just so you can see what a crappy pic looks like it's attached below. It's just as well that it didn't come out nicely because I'm not keen on the idea of taking watch pics of personal possessions in the first place.

All the best.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #390
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

I've been looking for a Rolex for a couple of years and my wife just bought me this last night:

Once she found out it was built for scientists she wanted me to have it. What a great gift!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #391
E90-F30
Allen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AUDI S4 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecan
I've been looking for a Rolex for a couple of years and my wife just bought me this last night:

Once she found out it was built for scientists she wanted me to have it. What a great gift!
Very nice!

I just bought my father (whose an engineer) a green anniversary for his 50th.
      10-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #392
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecan View Post

Built for scientist for what reason? Does it have the atomic weight of elements stored in it?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #393
E90-F30
Allen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AUDI S4 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalecan View Post

Built for scientist for what reason? Does it have the atomic weight of elements stored in it?
Milgauss was designed as an antimagnetic watch. (Guass is a unit of magnetic flux.)

Specifically for those who worked in power plants, medical facilities research labs, etc. Where electromagnetic fields can cause havoc with the timing of a watch.

So it wasn't built FOR scientists, but it was designed for use by people in similar fields.

Doesn't mean you have to be a scientist to enjoy one.
      10-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #394
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I have a sea dweller I'm thinking of selling if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #395
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-F30 View Post
Milgauss was designed as an antimagnetic watch. (Guass is a unit of magnetic flux.)

Specifically for those who worked in power plants, medical facilities research labs, etc. Where electromagnetic fields can cause havoc with the timing of a watch.

So it wasn't built FOR scientists, but it was designed for use by people in similar fields.

Doesn't mean you have to be a scientist to enjoy one.
What he said. I'm a biomechanist/physiologist and I work around electromagnetic and ultrasound stuff all the time. But of course, the real reason is that I liked the watch and it was a lucky coincidence.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #396
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Interesting read:
http://www.watchtime.com/featured/10...w-about-rolex/
Appreciate 0