E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > FEDS Sue AT&T for Slowing of Mobile Customer Data!

10-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs down FEDS Sue AT&T for Slowing of Mobile Customer Data!

Reason # 364 why this company is one of the very worst!

Feds Sue AT&T for Slowing of Mobile Customer Data | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC News
Wednesday, Oct 29, 2014 • Updated at 7:04 AM CDT

AT&T deceived its customers by charging them for "unlimited" data plans and then reducing mobile Internet speeds for heavy users, the Federal Trade Commission said Tuesday. In a blog on the FTC's website, FTC attorney Lisa Weintraub Schifferle says the FTC also sued AT&T because the company kept customers from using data that they paid for and then forced them to pay early termination fees when they tried to get out of their AT&T contracts. The FTC's complaint is objecting to AT&T's use of the word "unlimited," and charging customers for a service they are not receiving. At least 3.5 million unique customers were affected, the FTC said.
Foking shysters!

My friends who have had or have AT&T are NEVER happy with either dropped calls and spotty service or frozen data usage as mentioned above.
I hate the fact they are about to take over DirecTV which I've had for over a decade! If I see any type of bullshit on my bill or programming, I'll take my business elsewhere.
      10-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

I'm on AT&T and haven't had a dropped call in about a decade. Service is pretty good and this is in Mississippi of all places. However I don't think that anyone is happy about their changes to "unlimited." I just started getting those "you've used 50% of your available data" or whatever texts and I'm like what the hell my plan is unlimited? Apparently "unlimited" now means "unlimited until you reach the limit."
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Don't all mobile carries do this?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannable View Post
Don't all mobile carries do this?
I have been out with my kids who use their tablets to stream shows and play online games constantly for hours on end. And I too am constantly surfing abroad. I have never received any messages or data overages with Sprint.

Read the bold blue again above.
      10-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I have been out with my kids who use their tablets to stream shows and play online games constantly for hours on end. And I too am constantly surfing abroad. I have never received any messages or data overages with Sprint.

Read the bold blue again above.
Wow, you can actually do anything with Sprint as your carrier...that's surprising. I had Sprint and was lucky if I got their shitty 3G here in SA, which was one of the first cities for them to start bragging about their LTE in. Yeah, it still sucks balls two years later in 2014...literally NOTHING concerning their coverage has changed. I ditched them last year for AT&T. AT&T used to suck (and here that was really funny because we had their HQ back then in 2010 when it was REALLY bad). I used to make fun of all my friends who were so proud of their little iPhones they couldn't use because AT&T was SO bad. I have had no issues with AT&T since 2011 (company smart phones I had were on AT&T for me between 2011 and July of this year).
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #6
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

AT&T is great for me! Aside from the data throttling, however. It's my ONLY complaint. And it sucks. So I'm glad they're getting sued for it. Hopefully, I can get my 4G LTE ALL the time back.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Sprint is great in my area! No issues at all.
      10-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

good. AT&T has gotten so big they don't really give a shit about anyone anymore.

That being said, who the hell should i use besides them?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

This has been a cellular business practice for YEARS. I'm honestly rather surprised that this is an issue in 2014...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
good. AT&T has gotten so big they don't really give a shit about anyone anymore.

At this point. Two cans and a very long string. Four cans for the family plan.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post

Here is what I say... The smaller guys IF they work in your area deserve a serious look: Sprint and Tmobile are aggressive in getting and keeping customers. I have 2 of the Top devices available: Galaxy S5 (wife) and LG G3. I recently upgraded after only @ 14 mos. I literally paid $100 for BOTH after threatening to bail even though I wasn't planning to. Sprint truly gives you unlimited data! My bill has never exceeded my plan of 1,500 talk and unlimited data in the near 4yrs I've been with them. Customer Service ALWAYS is very helpful and follows up to make sure. My $.02
      10-29-2014, 10:35 PM   #12
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Whenever I have issues with service (spotty service), they tell me right off the bat that I'm wrong going by my data usage. Sooo wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #13
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Wow, you can actually do anything with Sprint as your carrier...that's surprising. I had Sprint and was lucky if I got their shitty 3G here in SA, which was one of the first cities for them to start bragging about their LTE in. Yeah, it still sucks balls two years later in 2014...literally NOTHING concerning their coverage has changed. I ditched them last year for AT&T. AT&T used to suck (and here that was really funny because we had their HQ back then in 2010 when it was REALLY bad). I used to make fun of all my friends who were so proud of their little iPhones they couldn't use because AT&T was SO bad. I have had no issues with AT&T since 2011 (company smart phones I had were on AT&T for me between 2011 and July of this year).
+1

Sprint was the worst cellphone experience I had ever had. Numerous dropped calls a day, no service at my house unless outside (I don't live in rural area), data speeds horrible.

Switched to ATT recently with new iPhone 6, so far so good. Not one dropped call, data speeds lighting quick.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #14
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
+1

Sprint was the worst cellphone experience I had ever had. Numerous dropped calls a day, no service at my house unless outside (I don't live in rural area), data speeds horrible.

Switched to ATT recently with new iPhone 6, so far so good. Not one dropped call, data speeds lighting quick.
Yep, i have people in my building with different carriers. 3 guys have to run out of the building to get service. 2 with Sprint, 1 with T-mobile. Building is in the middle of Tampa. Everyone else has ATT and a few have Verizon. No issues with any of them.

I switched all our business lines from T-mobile to ATT and it's been infinitely better in terms of coverage, speed, and reception. If you travel with T-mobile and go more than half a mile away from a major interstate you have no service. Which is only marginally worse than the shitty service you have on the highway.