E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Bad life choice ?

08-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Bad life choice ?

I'm thinking of trading in my CLS for a F80 M3....

For all of you that test drove the F80 M3, how will it work out as a family car? No dealership here in SoCal would let me test drive it, probably because I look like a bum when I visit the dealership.

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Can't imagine why I would want to buy a car from a dealership that won't let me test drive.
      08-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

You're going to the wrong dealers. Don't let them pull some elitist BS about how "people who buy these cars don't need to drive them".
i've been told that at a couple of Porsche dealers. Just give them the bird and find a dealer that will accommodate you. On another note the CLS 63 is an outstanding family car, why change?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansiepooh View Post
I'm thinking of trading in my CLS for a F80 M3....

For all of you that test drove the F80 M3, how will it work out as a family car? No dealership here in SoCal would let me test drive it, probably because I look like a bum when I visit the dealership.
You're nuts.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
How old are the kids? If they're out of car seats then really any four door is fine.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
You're going to the wrong dealers. Don't let them pull some elitist BS about how "people who buy these cars don't need to drive them".
i've been told that at a couple of Porsche dealers. Just give them the bird and find a dealer that will accommodate you. On another note the CLS 63 is an outstanding family car, why change?

I agree with you there it is an outstanding family car, but the sheer size of the car is a lot bigger than what my wife is comfortable with. It has all the driving aid and such, but it is huge.

And the fact that she backed it up into a pole while the rear sensor + camera warning were going off. I never laughed so hard before.

Oh and trust me I gave those dealership a piece of my mind. A lot of those high-line dealership would prejudge me before I speak. When we were looking for my wife's car almost every dealership we went to wouldn't let us test drive the car she was interested in (Cayman, F-Type, Ghibli). It really irritated me. I should start carrying my business card and bank statement around

Last edited by hanszilla; 08-08-2014 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
You're nuts.
Am I ?

A lot of people have been telling me that lately

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
How old are the kids? If they're out of car seats then really any four door is fine.
No they're not out of the seats. They're both 19 months. The double baby seats in the back really ruins the aesthetics. Aside from that I like the room on the car, the comfort level, the equipment and the trunk size. I can fit a double stroller or 2 single stroller and still have room.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Can't imagine why I would want to buy a car from a dealership that won't let me test drive.
A lot of dealerships are like that here. I understand their concern too, they want to keep the mileage low, less wear and tear, etc. It seriously ticks me off though, because of the limited inventory of some cars and the fact that they won't let me test drive. I ended up driving out 100 miles when I got my CLS because that's the only dealership that would let me test drive the vehicle with both baby seats in the back and the girls.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I agree with you there it is an outstanding family car, but the sheer size of the car is a lot bigger than what my wife is comfortable with. It has all the driving aid and such, but it is huge.

And the fact that she backed it up into a pole while the rear sensor + camera warning were going off. I never laughed so hard before.

Oh and trust me I gave those dealership a piece of my mind. A lot of those high-line dealership would prejudge me before I speak. When we were looking for my wife's car almost every dealership we went to wouldn't let us test drive the car she was interested in (Cayman, F-Type, Ghibli). It really irritated me. I should start carrying my business card and bank statement around
Is it really that hard to dress nice when going to look at a $70,000 automobile? If the manager of the dealership came out to greet you wearing a tee shirt with paint on it and ripped blue jeans, would you give the dealership serious consideration? I wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Competition

Quote:

If you ever decide to consider the ghibli or cayman again you should go to the Auto Gallery (Calabasas for Maserati and Woodland Hills for Porsche)

I can give you the name of a good salesman, he let me test drive the boxster, boxster S, and got me a test drive in the Ghibli from Calabasas as well. (I am approaching 2 years out of undergrad and look super young).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Is it really that hard to dress nice when going to look at a $70,000 automobile? If the manager of the dealership came out to greet you wearing a tee shirt with paint on it and ripped blue jeans, would you give the dealership serious consideration? I wouldn't.
No but, does it matter on my end ? I'm the consumer and I like to be comfortable. I'm a sales executive by trade and when I see my clients should I expect them to dress in full business professional ? I don't, they can wear shorts for all I care, I'd still take them seriously. Do I dress like a bum when I see my clients ? Sometimes, it depends what I'm seeing them for.

On another note, when I say bum I meant I wear shorts, flip flops and a polo.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Alex View Post
If you ever decide to consider the ghibli or cayman again you should go to the Auto Gallery (Calabasas for Maserati and Woodland Hills for Porsche)

I can give you the name of a good salesman, he let me test drive the boxster, boxster S, and got me a test drive in the Ghibli from Calabasas as well. (I am approaching 2 years out of undergrad and look super young).
She settled on the F-type for pure aesthetic reason. It was a tie off between the Ghibli or the F-type. I might be looking for a 911 soon if I go off the deep end and get rid of my Prius. I really don't want another lease though

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
She settled on the F-type for pure aesthetic reason. It was a tie off between the Ghibli or the F-type. I might be looking for a 911 soon if I go off the deep end and get rid of my Prius. I really don't want another lease though
Ah, plus Porsche leases are pretty bad..... sometimes it is worth just financing
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, plus Porsche leases are pretty bad..... sometimes it is worth just financing
Can't be as bad as the F-type lease.

We did 5k down on F-type S with panoramic roof, and the sport seats. With only 7.5k miles/year the payment is 879+tax. That's almost F80 money.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #16
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Can't be as bad as the F-type lease.

We did 5k down on F-type S with panoramic roof, and the sport seats. With only 7.5k miles/year the payment is 879+tax. That's almost F80 money.

Not sure, that is similar to what a well optioned boxster S would cost you now I think.

I just remember my father was considering on leasing a cayenne S for my stepmom and I remember thinking their leases were not great(msrp was ~94k I believe). They decided to just purchase because the lease did not make much sense since I think they also decided that they wanted to keep it long term.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #17
derryck
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. Seriously??? He's the customer...you know the guy with the cash, he can wear whatever the hell he wants. The manager of the dealership is selling a product and it's his job to not to dress casual however the customer is always right! I have a good friend that owns several businesses and changes out 6 figure cars like most people change clothes and he had similar experience when he purchased his F430. He ended up driving 3 hours away and paying more to purchase elsewhere and makes it a point of stopping in to the dealership that judged him every time he buys a new car and he doesn't finance anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #18
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Never man.. F80 CAN work for the kids in the back, but imho, the cls works better..

Not to mention the CLS63 in a class above the F80 M3.. No question.. /thread.. Stay with the CLS..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #19
Schnell_1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13

Hair-brained idea, especially if you have the AMG S Model.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #20
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure, that is similar to what a well optioned boxster S would cost you now I think.

I just remember my father was considering on leasing a cayenne S for my stepmom and I remember thinking their leases were not great(msrp was ~94k I believe). They decided to just purchase because the lease did not make much sense since I think they also decided that they wanted to keep it long term.
Wow for a boxster S ?! They are getting expensive, I know that a 997 (non-S) was about 900~ a month for one with 84k msrp, with 8k down. But that's ridiculous. I like the new Macan, maybe it's time to get rid of the Prius and get a Macan since it has raving reviews.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #21
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derryck View Post
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. Seriously??? He's the customer...you know the guy with the cash, he can wear whatever the hell he wants. The manager of the dealership is selling a product and it's his job to not to dress casual however the customer is always right! I have a good friend that owns several businesses and changes out 6 figure cars like most people change clothes and he had similar experience when he purchased his F430. He ended up driving 3 hours away and paying more to purchase elsewhere and makes it a point of stopping in to the dealership that judged him every time he buys a new car and he doesn't finance anything.
Amen, I know people like that too. Dress like a bum, have millions in their bank account. I honestly think people that are dressed overly nice are the ones without much $$ in the pocket (in general), I see people with fake rolex and fake designer bags that may not have a lot of $$$ in dealerships.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagelfast View Post
Never man.. F80 CAN work for the kids in the back, but imho, the cls works better..

Not to mention the CLS63 in a class above the F80 M3.. No question.. /thread.. Stay with the CLS..
It is, but it's for the wife. It's just an idea since there were complaints about the size of the car

I guess I can shove her in the F30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell_1 View Post
Hair-brained idea, especially if you have the AMG S Model.
I have the standard AMG 4Matic, I wanted the S!!!

Appreciate 0