E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Gas Poised to Hit $3 a Gallon Nationwide

04-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #23
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon
but at least in some places, these taxes go back to improving public transportation.
I think this is perhaps one of the funniest things I've read all year! Taxes actually being put to a good use? That's a good one!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #24
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
So if you own two Enzos - you'd still be complaining about $1 jump in gas from $2 to $3?

The simple fact is you wouldn't because that contradicts your air of abundance - to the point where you'd be humiliated.

Analogous to me becoming a billionaire overnight yet I continue to haggle for bargains at the flea market.
well, you can't really compare owning two $500,000 cars vs. owning one $40k car, can you? if you have cars that cost millions, it can be safely assumed you have millions. and if you have millions, only then can someone tell you "you have blah blah and blah and you worry about gas being $3/gallon?"

as sharp said it, i don't think we drive cars that are so exotic and so financially unavailable to general public where you simply become oblivious to how much things cost (like you could if you had two Enzos). i have never considered the 3-series to be excessively expensive or special in any way (driving experience aside). it is a family sport sedan that costs about the same as many other cars in its class which gives me an undeniable reason and supportive argument to do worry about gas prices and bitch when they're high with an outlook of going even higher.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #25
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
In fact, their profits have been increasing so much that Exxon-Mobile (among others) are currently embroiled in litigation of purported price-gauging. Is it funny that when Katrina spanked the Gulf Coast and its refineries, oil companies see a continued INCREASE in profits?
Exactly!

Jay Leno made a very effective and well-targetted joke about that when there was an unsuccessful attempt to attack one of the biggest oil refineries in the middle east. he said something like, since the attack was completely unsuccessful, the refinery didn't get hit in any way, oil production wasn't halted not even for a second and this event had absolutely no impact on world oil distribution whatsoever, Exxon-Mobile will only increase the price of gas by 50c per gallon.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #26
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Hey, vlad - the 3 series isn't an expensive car but I was just mocking your comment on how you don't think the cost of a car has anything to do with being frivolous when it certainly does...if you go to the extremes
      04-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #27
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Well sure my car is $40K but i could barely afford making the payments, SO if i gotta throw another $50 just to fill her up..then yea it hurts. But what can i do? Thats why these companies can charge what they want.. cause honestly, ya'll aint gonna stop driving. Maybe youll cut back or walk more, but in all honestly, ill still be filling my car up. And all i can do is bitch and moan about it.
      04-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #28
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Well sure my car is $40K but i could barely afford making the payments, SO if i gotta throw another $50 just to fill her up..then yea it hurts. But what can i do? Thats why these companies can charge what they want.. cause honestly, ya'll aint gonna stop driving. Maybe youll cut back or walk more, but in all honestly, ill still be filling my car up. And all i can do is bitch and moan about it.

Well, can we say time for a sugar daddy then? Then you don't have to worry about gas and payment, and you might even get that M6 you want I kid.. I kid..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #29
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
I think this is perhaps one of the funniest things I've read all year! Taxes actually being put to a good use? That's a good one!
i didn't say US. public transportation in other parts of the world puts the US' to shame. though when i was in nyc, i loved using the subway there.
      04-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #30
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScBlacksunshine
Well, can we say time for a sugar daddy then? Then you don't have to worry about gas and payment, and you might even get that M6 you want I kid.. I kid..
LoL.. YEA i do think its about that time.. However, they are pretty hard to find.

Anyway, i hope that they do put alot of time and attention to alternative fuel methods. Hydrogen would be great, but its way too dangerous in big amounts..
      04-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #31
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
ExxonMobile is ranked the number one corporation the 1st qtr for having the highest profit & highest sales dollar in the WORLD, now they want more.
      04-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #32
Imperial
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

I was gonna say poised to hit $3/gallon? It's been that here in SoCal for some time now!

I realize we can't bitch so much about gas costs since they're nothing compared to prices in Europe and Japan and such, but they've also got much more reliable and prevalent mass transit. What's worse is that the price hikes are giving the oil companies historic and ridiculous profits at our expense. I dunno, I just kinda think it sucks that we're taking a hit in the pocket and they're just making more and more money. They had goddamn better be putting a lot of that into charities and alternative energy research....
      04-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #33
06330i
fresher den you
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2004 x3

Garage List
2006 E90, 330i  [0.00]
jeeze 3.08 for gas i only pay 2.79, well atleast for now lol it was 2.59 two weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #34
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
well, you can't really compare owning two $500,000 cars vs. owning one $40k car, can you? if you have cars that cost millions, it can be safely assumed you have millions. and if you have millions, only then can someone tell you "you have blah blah and blah and you worry about gas being $3/gallon?"

as sharp said it, i don't think we drive cars that are so exotic and so financially unavailable to general public where you simply become oblivious to how much things cost (like you could if you had two Enzos). i have never considered the 3-series to be excessively expensive or special in any way (driving experience aside). it is a family sport sedan that costs about the same as many other cars in its class which gives me an undeniable reason and supportive argument to do worry about gas prices and bitch when they're high with an outlook of going even higher.
I don't have millions of dollars.

At least with a fun car like a the E90 you can look at gas as an entertainment expense. I could probably cut my fuel consumption by at least 30% if I had a lighter right foot which would counteract even the worst price hikes this summer. But... I just love to spank it too much (the car that is).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 05:07 PM   #35
wweoholic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90

Quote:
LoL.. YEA i do think its about that time.. However, they are pretty hard to find.

Anyway, i hope that they do put alot of time and attention to alternative fuel methods. Hydrogen would be great, but its way too dangerous in big amounts..
Hard to find? Right here baby, but one of my requests is i need you to allow me to throw away my alarm clock, and instead I get a wake up blow job EVERY morning.

Thanks a lot hun, for accepting.....

Oh yea, and I just ordered you a M6, looks like you will be the first to have one!
      04-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #36
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Nice comment

ass!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #37
paddywac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d m sport

Garage List
how much you lot whinging about $3 per gallon, jesus you have no idea, today I drove past at a very economical 55mph petrol/gas station offering petrol/gas at 1.00 per litre, yes per litre. That is approx £4.50 per UK gallon, in dollars that is at current exchange rates $7.50 or so......you got a bit to go yet guys, give it 15 years a lot of you will be driving diesel or hybrid, give it 20 - 30 years and you will have forgotten what petrol is...there might be one pump at the station for classic cars. i still think there will be high performance cars but not with the current propulsion.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #38
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddywac
...there might be one pump at the station for classic cars.
I'll bet you after an alternate fuel comes out where you can get like 90 miles to the litre of hydrogen, there'll be a conversion kit for classic cars. Kind of like when fuel injection came out, some people converted their carburators to fuel injection.

However, when the technology first comes out (if it ever does), converting your classic hot rod to a fuel cell will probably be part of the millionaire's club for a while, until it is commercially accessible to more people.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #39
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
I'll bet you after an alternate fuel comes out where you can get like 90 miles to the litre of hydrogen, there'll be a conversion kit for classic cars. Kind of like when fuel injection came out, some people converted their carburators to fuel injection.

However, when the technology first comes out (if it ever does), converting your classic hot rod to a fuel cell will probably be part of the millionaire's club for a while, until it is commercially accessible to more people.
That's a huge conversion though... its completely different from from FI-->Carb conversion because that only deals with the intake side of things. Internal combustion will be completely different then a hydrogen/fuel cell car. I doubt we'll see that in our lifetime.

One thing about hydrogen cars... Although hydrogen is one of the most abundant resources on earth, most of them are mated to oxygen molecues - H20 (water). The current process of seperating hydrogen from oxygen requires the burning of coal, lots of it. So essentially, unless another method of seperating these two molecules is invented, we might be just be switching from one pollutant to another. Will we become less dependant on middle-east countries? Not as much as we like, as the largest natural coal resource is also under middle east. Also, the biggest problem with hydrogen cars is creating a network of refilling stations, and guess who's already working on creating these networks? Large oil companies. I'm guessing if one "tank" of hydrogen will last us 1000 miles, then we'll probably get charge $100-$150 for that tank. So probably we'll end up spending the same amount of money, because those large companies won't be caught dead losing money on this.
      04-12-2006, 08:56 PM   #40
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

Quote:
I agree.

You can't help the times we live in by changing your everday habits, higher gas prices surely are not gonna keep my car sitting round for when they come back down.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #41
eshamas21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

just filled up... payed 3 somethin for a gallon... 87 was $2.97... its gettin redicuolus (sp) again.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #42
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

remember when it was only 99 cents a gallon??
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #43
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
That's a huge conversion though... its completely different from from FI-->Carb conversion because that only deals with the intake side of things. Internal combustion will be completely different then a hydrogen/fuel cell car. I doubt we'll see that in our lifetime....
I agree. But imagine that. It's 2025, and the latest craze is completely hydrogen-powered cars. Everyone's buying cars that resemble spaceships, and then there's this one dude that's driving an old 1960s muscle car, only it's completely powered by hydrogen (or whatever). Man, that would be awesome!

But I don't know, it doesn't seem very practical (especially right now when all this stuff is practically a pipe dream) but it sure would be cool to have. If I'm a millionaire in 20-30 years from now, and the technology is available, the first thing I'm going to do is have a hydrogen muscle car!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 12:01 AM   #44
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

What much of you guys fail to realize is that most of today's hydrogen is made by burning up fossil fuels! In fact, even the cost of hydrogen has been going up along with crude oil. Oh, the irony...

The real short term solution rests in hybrids. Conserving wasted kinetic energy during braking - what a genius idea!