E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Subaru BRZ Concept STI - Amazing!!!

02-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #991
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

The end result couldn't have been better:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 02-20-2013 at 04:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #992
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

If you don‘t like it, it‘s because you are gay...

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 02-20-2013 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #993
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

C'mon Advevo show us what you can do with a Toyobaru if you think the 1M is perfect for the snow:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 02-21-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #994
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

This is the reason why a 911 doesn't make sense although it's MUCH better looking than the 981. This is also the reason why the Cayman was the benchmark for the Toyobaru:

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #995
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Let's face it, despite of the extensive use of all the electronic gadgetry the 911 is reaching its development limits in terms of the attainable potential max. power and torque for a street car without an even more radical use of electronic gadgetry. Thus, additionally to AWD the new 911 (991) Turbo will also have four-wheel-steering, or all-wheel-steering, with active rear-wheel-steering .

As for BMW, while they say they want to keep the RWD for their M models instead of the AWD approach of their rivals like the new powerful AMG-A45, we can't stop asking ourselves what car does BMW produces presently that can even remotely resembles the handling characteristics of a Cayman?! Toyota and Subaru just have remembered us how GREAT it can be done from a front-engined RWD configuration as long as you keep the weight sufficiently low and use extra care in its distribution across the car's chassis and body. That way you will not need to go the BIG power numbers route to get the necessary street performance which IS SLOWLY KILLING HANDLING, unless your car starts to be driven from computers!!!

Man, one has got to love the Toyobaru... let alone its price tag!!!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 02-22-2013 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #996
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Last but not the least, we should not forget that even for ALL the Cayman versions the PSM (Porsche Stability Management system) can NOT be fully disabled even though it says "OFF". The only thing you can have, depending on the Cayman model, is a more aggressive setting of the PSM with a much higher threshold of intervention.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #997
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

While even in a Cayman you can't tell for sure how much is up to your drive skills or to the computer... in a Toyobaru you are on your own with all the nannies switched off among every other drivers... Paradise on earth:

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #998
GotM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ 6MT

If you really like straight line performance, the BRZ/FRS is not for you. All of the driving I have done, cars or sport bikes, I have always enjoyed turns. I have to admit I do miss the low end torque at 1500 rpm that the 135 has. There is a lot of aftermarket work with FI on the BRZ, but I think one of the dilemmas is getting the power to ground effectivley. And, I think this spoils the real fun of the car...going around turns.

After owning the BRZ for about 3 months now, I dont miss the power near as much as a I did in the beginning. After years of owning fun cars, I finally decided to take the BRZ to an AutoX. I really got to push this car to my limits, the car has much more than I am willing to give. At least, right now. It is too bad I had not done this before, I would really like to know how the 135 would have been around the cones. And, would be able to provide a comparison from this perspective. The street driving perspective, The BRZ handles bettter, or more pure, than the 135. But from my newly obtained autocross experience, I never really pushed the 135 either.

I think the BRZ/FRS has to be the best bang for your buck car in a long time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #999
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotM View Post
If you really like straight line performance, the BRZ/FRS is not for you. All of the driving I have done, cars or sport bikes, I have always enjoyed turns. I have to admit I do miss the low end torque at 1500 rpm that the 135 has. There is a lot of aftermarket work with FI on the BRZ, but I think one of the dilemmas is getting the power to ground effectivley. And, I think this spoils the real fun of the car...going around turns.

After owning the BRZ for about 3 months now, I dont miss the power near as much as a I did in the beginning. After years of owning fun cars, I finally decided to take the BRZ to an AutoX. I really got to push this car to my limits, the car has much more than I am willing to give. At least, right now. It is too bad I had not done this before, I would really like to know how the 135 would have been around the cones. And, would be able to provide a comparison from this perspective. The street driving perspective, The BRZ handles bettter, or more pure, than the 135. But from my newly obtained autocross experience, I never really pushed the 135 either.

you definitely got the best color . congrats on your ride!
      02-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #1000
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

This car is without doubt the best looking car of the moment...

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #1001
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Bad it has no manual. It is kind off a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #1002
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Not enough power but don't want to void your warranty? Try the TRD Supercharger bolt-on solution. Nothin official yet, but here is the first pic of it:

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #1003
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Interesting news on the TRD kit, that could be a great solution for those not seeking silly power but more linear power flow.

The 4C is very appealing, especially if it had a manual, without it I'm not sure that I am interested. Of course for all the talk in this thread about the approachable limits and balanced nature of the BRZ, we're unlikely to see those things in the Alfa.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #1004
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotM View Post
The street driving perspective, The BRZ handles bettter, or more pure, than the 135. But from my newly obtained autocross experience, I never really pushed the 135 either.

If you have already realized that the Toyobaru handles better then the 135 on the street you can rest assured that the difference between the two would be even higher in an autocross track.

You see, I can't stop wondering why people were so concerned about the fact of the 1M's engine being a Turbo engine, which is part of its distinct and characterful driving experience, and not being concerned about its weight and turn-in characteristics instead...

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 02-26-2013 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #1005
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Interesting news on the TRD kit, that could be a great solution for those not seeking silly power but more linear power flow.

The 4C is very appealing, especially if it had a manual, without it I'm not sure that I am interested. Of course for all the talk in this thread about the approachable limits and balanced nature of the BRZ, we're unlikely to see those things in the Alfa.
If balance is what you're looking for but you want a notch more edgy, why not an Elise? It does all of the same things that the 4C aims to and it has many years of proven history. Just throwing the name in the hat...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #1006
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho

If balance is what you're looking for but you want a notch more edgy, why not an Elise? It does all of the same things that the 4C aims to and it has many years of proven history. Just throwing the name in the hat...
The short answer is the sound of the Toyota motor. A friend had an Exige (non S) and it just sounded terrible. Safety too, I love small cars, but Lotus cut some corners and had to get some federal exceptions for those little things.

Finally, the Exige understeered a lot more than I would have expected, it was far from balanced. Balanced is a Boxster.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #1007
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
The short answer is the sound of the Toyota motor. A friend had an Exige (non S) and it just sounded terrible. Safety too, I love small cars, but Lotus cut some corners and had to get some federal exceptions for those little things.

Finally, the Exige understeered a lot more than I would have expected, it was far from balanced. Balanced is a Boxster.
I had an Exige (also non S) for several years. I put an intake on it and it sounded great! Others were putting a Larini system on theirs and those really sounded beast. There's only so much you can do to make a 4cyl sound good though...

As far as handling, I've never been in a car that handled better than the Exige. I could take virtually any turn at any speed and it was completely glued to the pavement.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #1008
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I had an Exige (also non S) for several years. I put an intake on it and it sounded great! Others were putting a Larini system on theirs and those really sounded beast. There's only so much you can do to make a 4cyl sound good though...

As far as handling, I've never been in a car that handled better than the Exige. I could take virtually any turn at any speed and it was completely glued to the pavement.
I don't know, S2000's and the Alfa 4's sound great. My Miata wasn't bad either, and I like the boxer four sound. I just didn't care for the Toyota motor, even with aftermarket exhaust, but I don't think I've heard one with a more open intake. The BRZ sounds good, and I suspect the 4C will too.

I need to see the 4C in person, it could fall into the "too small" category for me. I had a few moments in the Miata that made me wonder how well it would hold up to a Suburban attack, but fortunately never had to test that. My M Coupe got attacked by a few cars, but always did more damage to them than it received, of course it weighed a lot more, just as the BRZ weighs a good bit more than the Alfa.

Man, I'm hard to please, I don't want a car that weighs too much, now I apparently have a weight floor too. Jeesh, I just need to buy a Caterham and take my chances.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #1009
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Quote:
I don't know, S2000's and the Alfa 4's sound great. My Miata wasn't bad either, and I like the boxer four sound. I just didn't care for the Toyota motor, even with aftermarket exhaust, but I don't think I've heard one with a more open intake. The BRZ sounds good, and I suspect the 4C will too.

I need to see the 4C in person, it could fall into the "too small" category for me. I had a few moments in the Miata that made me wonder how well it would hold up to a Suburban attack, but fortunately never had to test that. My M Coupe got attacked by a few cars, but always did more damage to them than it received, of course it weighed a lot more, just as the BRZ weighs a good bit more than the Alfa.

Man, I'm hard to please, I don't want a car that weighs too much, now I apparently have a weight floor too. Jeesh, I just need to buy a Caterham and take my chances.
Yea same here. These cars are just too small for me to feel safe in daily driving. The smallest car I had was a volvo s40 and I got run off the road a couple times by people not seeing me.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #1010
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Small cars must be more of an issue in the states, on the other hand you have wider roads, so I don't get that. But here too, alot more SUV's on the roads and compact hatches are almost mini-van large.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #1011
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

NA in a BRZ STi... ya, right.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #1012
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Small cars must be more of an issue in the states, on the other hand you have wider roads, so I don't get that. But here too, alot more SUV's on the roads and compact hatches are almost mini-van large.
We have alot of mothers and people driving the big suvs that shouldn't is the problem. It's not uncommon to see a little lady driving a chevy tahoe talking on the phone and looking at herself in the mirror.
Appreciate 0