E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2015 C7 Z06

07-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #45
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
Wing and I are on the same page here. The Z06 will be the bargain super-car just like the GT-R, but paying that much for something with a Chevy badge on it is the problem. People aren't motor heads like we are. Me, I wouldn't take a Z06 over a GT3. Anything else in the class, absolutely. I know I sound like a snob, but it's true. I feel the same way about the GT-R. Too expensive for the badge. For 125k, I can have myself a used Aston Martin, and I wouldn't care about performance. 'Exclusivity' become a factor.
Well at least you admit to your snobby tendencies.

To be fair, there isn't a Chevy badge on Corvettes. Corvette has a long storied tradition and a hell of a lot of brand equity in it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #46
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

To be fair, there isn't a Chevy badge on Corvettes. Corvette has a long storied tradition and a hell of a lot of brand equity in it.
Well there is, but it's integrated within the Corvette badge.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #47
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Well there is, but it's integrated within the Corvette badge.

Fair enough. A badge within a badge.....
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #48
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I wouldn't suggest that you ask me a question like that... I'm one of those kooks that happens to love the LF-A.

I get your point, and I think it's probably true for the majority of buyers out there, especially for those that aren't necessarily performance purists. I don't think that Chevy intends on selling the Z06 in volume, so they don't need to appeal to a large crowd. It will be perfect for the brand: dish up some headline numbers and serve as a halo car for the brand and for the Corvette nameplate. The C7 chassis has proven to be hugely capable, and not just via on-paper stats. I have a strong feeling that we'll get a pleasant surprise once reviews start cropping up.

There's no need to get personal, I just think that our perception of value and the intended role of the C7 Z06 are at odds. The C6 Z06 doesn't have a real equivalent on offer today, and the C7 Z06 doesn't look like it's exactly going to change that. From what we can see, the C7 Z06 is going to make the ZR1 nameplate obsolete (literally, as Chevy reports that there isn't an upcoming ZR1 in the pipeline), so if the car receives pricing that follows suit I think that is sensible.
I wasn't getting personal. You just seemed to be inferring things about my comments that were not intended.

And I never intended to make it seem like the new z06 will be overpriced, either. Yes, even at 100k-125k, the new z06 seems reasonably priced.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #49
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

If it is price at or under the ZR1, they will have another winner on their hands.

We should get official pricing soon, it goes on sale 4th quarter this year.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #50
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

All indications thus far have the Z06 starting at or below $85K, while fully loaded convertibles going for at or below $110K.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #51
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
I wouldn't suggest that you ask me a question like that... I'm one of those kooks that happens to love the LF-A.

I get your point, and I think it's probably true for the majority of buyers out there, especially for those that aren't necessarily performance purists. I don't think that Chevy intends on selling the Z06 in volume, so they don't need to appeal to a large crowd. It will be perfect for the brand: dish up some headline numbers and serve as a halo car for the brand and for the Corvette nameplate. The C7 chassis has proven to be hugely capable, and not just via on-paper stats. I have a strong feeling that we'll get a pleasant surprise once reviews start cropping up.

There's no need to get personal, I just think that our perception of value and the intended role of the C7 Z06 are at odds. The C6 Z06 doesn't have a real equivalent on offer today, and the C7 Z06 doesn't look like it's exactly going to change that. From what we can see, the C7 Z06 is going to make the ZR1 nameplate obsolete (literally, as Chevy reports that there isn't an upcoming ZR1 in the pipeline), so if the car receives pricing that follows suit I think that is sensible.
I wasn't getting personal. You just seemed to be inferring things about my comments that were not intended.

And I never intended to make it seem like the new z06 will be overpriced, either. Yes, even at 100k-125k, the new z06 seems reasonably priced.
I just read through my posts and you're right, I'm reading way too much into things. My bad. I've been off today.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #52
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

It's all good. I've been having one of those days myself. I blame the intense heat.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #53
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I'm not sure why everyone is thinking a $100K Z06 is odd or out of the question when you could spend over $100K for a C6 Z06.
If you added the Z07 package, which required the Magnetic ride and CCBs with the 3LZ interior package it would list over $100K.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...car_contender/
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #54
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Best thing about the C7 Z06 is that its going to make C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 prices plummet. I can't wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #55
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
That's fine. At the price point, the badge matters. I don't want to sound like a snob, but it's true.
Why is it that when cars like a GTR or a Vette Z06 is mentioned, snobs come in and say "oh but it's all about the badge". You'd think this is the Ferrari or Bugatti forum or something. Your sig says you used to have a couple of 3 series in the past. Now you have a C class on order. I'm pretty sure a 3 series and a C class are such rare and prestigious exotics
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #56
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

It's the cheap house in a nice neighborhood vs the best house in a crap neighborhood, played out with four wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #57
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Wing and I are on the same page here. The Z06 will be the bargain super-car just like the GT-R, but paying that much for something with a Chevy badge on it is the problem. People aren't motor heads like we are. Me, I wouldn't take a Z06 over a GT3. Anything else in the class, absolutely. I know I sound like a snob, but it's true. I feel the same way about the GT-R. Too expensive for the badge. For 125k, I can have myself a used Aston Martin, and I wouldn't care about performance. 'Exclusivity' become a factor.
I specifically like the appeal of a GTR or Vette Z06 precisely because of the lack of badge appeal. These are cars where you KNOW that everyone who bought them is a driving enthusiast who is passionate about driving on country roads and on the track and having a blast. There are hardly any "posers" who buy these cars. By comparison, there are plenty of rich douchebags who buy cars like Jags, Astons, 911, R8, M6, even Ferrari and Lambo purely as a status symbol just to show off how much money they have; people who couldn't drive their way out of a paper bag if their life depended on it, people who barely know how to top off their oil let alone swap a suspension in their driveway.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #58
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'll use the same analogy, are you going to pay for a BMW that costs $375,000 or would you buy something like a Lamborghini or Ferrari? The badge matters more and more the higher up in price you go. This is just human nature. You want to reward yourself for the hard work you've done.Not drive something everyone else drives. That's human psyche.
If the BMW was leaps and bounds faster than the Ferrari/Lambo I may actually go for the BMW. And it's ironic that you say you wouldn't want to drive something that everyone else drives, considering that we are on a forum dedicated to what's basically a 3 series with a V8 in it. Does the fact that BMW sold a gazillion E9x 3 series mean that people with money should not buy it's M variant because people won't recognize it as exclusive?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #59
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Why is it that when cars like a GTR or a Vette Z06 is mentioned, snobs come in and say "oh but it's all about the badge". You'd think this is the Ferrari or Bugatti forum or something. Your sig says you used to have a couple of 3 series in the past. Now you have a C class on order. I'm pretty sure a 3 series and a C class are such rare and prestigious exotics
Personally, I could care less about what badge is on a car. I know people that have the money though, and from seeing what they buy and why, when you have that much money you want to show it off.

I don't care what badge is on a car or how common it is. I have a Camry right now. I loved my M3, and wish I still had it. I had modded it to my tastes both performance wise and design wise. It was a keeper, but I sold it and bought a property instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #60
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

There has always been a chevy symbol in the vette badge.......just look at every Vette from 1953 to now. Here is a collage of the bagdes with a Chevy symbol in there:

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #61
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Everyone who buys a GT-R is a skilled track driver, for sure. No poser who wants to look fast ever buys one...

Point being,

Just like some guys with lots of money want to buy a [insert exotic here] to show off and whistle at the ladies, there are guys who will get a Vette or a GT-R to "show off" how fast they are.

It's just a different reason/purpose of the posing, but it is still posing.

Vette is also sort of the quintessential American dream car for the people. It's kind of a blue collar dream car.

"I'll retire and get a Vette"
"I just got divorced and look I'm free so here's my Vette"

Bottom line guys is that any car that is special it will be bought by enthusiasts and posers alike, and some, like the Vette due to its fame, will be bought by neither - just normal people who want a sports car and will never drive it to its full capabilities, or take it to the track, but are genuinely interested in owning that car.

Not every guy with money who buys an exotic is a poser or not true enthusiast;
Not every guy who buys a Vette or GT-R is a true enthusiast automatically.

Just wanted to throw that in there; as enthusiasts we can appreciate all cars for their intended purpose and realize there are bad apples, as they say, in every group.

Also food for thought, to the comment about "people with money I see what they buy and it's to show off" -- what about guys who come into success and money, and they can finally get that Ferrari or Lambo they've dreamed of since they were 12? To anyone but that guy, it looks like he's showing off; but you know what, that same guy doesn't GAF what people think, because he knows the real deal inside which is all that matters.

And yes, I do realize that guy is probably less common than the douchebag with the Lambo revving it up and never getting out of 2nd gear...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 05:51 AM   #62
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
I specifically like the appeal of a GTR or Vette Z06 precisely because of the lack of badge appeal. These are cars where you KNOW that everyone who bought them is a driving enthusiast who is passionate about driving on country roads and on the track and having a blast. There are hardly any "posers" who buy these cars. By comparison, there are plenty of rich douchebags who buy cars like Jags, Astons, 911, R8, M6, even Ferrari and Lambo purely as a status symbol just to show off how much money they have; people who couldn't drive their way out of a paper bag if their life depended on it, people who barely know how to top off their oil let alone swap a suspension in their driveway.
Wow, generalized animosity at its best.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #63
JPH704
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Huracan Performante & 720s

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
The Z06 is way more then just the amount of horsepower it produces. It does everything in extreme. Those other cars you mention(besides the GT3) are all luxury GT cars. Not pure performance cars.
And every redneck that's found some money will own one. Long live the american trailer park king!

I'll take the GT3, GTR or R8 any day over the Z06.
      08-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #64
JPH704
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Huracan Performante & 720s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
$125k and no doubt will be recalled 4 times in the next two years. GM, the best car company tax payer dollars can fund.
But they'll put you in a nice Malibu or Colbalt while they fix it.
      08-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #65
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

[QUOTE=///M3_DCT;16404706]And every redneck that's found some money will own one. Long live the american trailer park king!

Wow to this too.
This site is still a trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #66
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3_DCT View Post
And every redneck that's found some money will own one. Long live the american trailer park king!

I'll take the GT3, GTR or R8 any day over the Z06.
And you can have those cars any day. I'll just laugh my ass off when I pass you on the street or track.
Appreciate 0