E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Question: Voluntary Turnover of a Leased...

08-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Bubkus
Bubkus
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Unhappy Question: Voluntary Turnover of a Leased...

Fellas -

As I'll be unable to pay for my car (soon), I'm considering returning my 08 M3 to the dealership within a week or two. The car is currently on a 42 month lease, with nearly 25 months left and is posted in the "For Sale" section of M3Post. For those of you interested in checking it out, it's the "AW E92 M3: FS or Lease Assumption".

So, what are the repercussions? Obviously my credit will get destroyed, but is it as bad as a personal bankruptcy in that the latter remains on your file for 10 years? Furthermore, will I be forever 'blacklisted' by BMWFS? I'm assuming it will hurt my chances in buying a house (down the road)..........anyone know how badly?

Any options I'm not considering - I have tried to get rid of the car, but there are no takers.

Thoughts......suggestions.......will be greatly, greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
they won't take the car...you have a contract with BMWFA...they want your money, not the car...

just stop paying...play hide and seek with the repo man..

Sorry to hear about ur troubles

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 COUPE

deff not as bad as bkcy, your credit score will take a big blow, but if this is th eonly negative thing on your credit report, you should be able to raise your score in no time...im assuming your lines aren't maxed out completely and you rmaking more than minimum payments ontime...if my assumptions are right, youll be alright buying a house down the road
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

too bad you're interior isn't black. i think that might've helped you out a lot.

i would try selling the car at a deep discount and just take a hit on the rest. you're FS thread mentions nothing of incentives or discounts. i've seen E92 M3's go for lease payments of ~$850 so your $1000 is a bit high.

would the dealer do a buy back at a discounted price? you'll lose out but then they can turn around and resell the car for some profit.
      08-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Bubkus
Bubkus
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I have offered an incentive of up to $4K now, which would effectively reduce the monthly payment to around $840, but still have had no takers due to the mileage being high (19K).

I really don't want to go down this dark road, but aside from taking on debt to pay for the car, I have no other choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Oh I didn't know there was a volutary turnover of a lease.
Anyways, that has to damage your credit big time as it's not anything different from house foreclosure.

If I were you I would rather give bigger discount on the vehicle until someone bites on it.
I don't know about your allowed milege but I assume it's 10k a year since you say 19k is high, so if this is true, your $4k incentive istn' that good as your listed price is already high for the car, especially in this bad economy.
I would rather lose bit more $$$ upfront to keep my credit record good.

Good luck with everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Bubkus
Bubkus
United_States
Rep

Sorry, mileage is 15K/year. And if I honestly could offer a larger incentive, I would, but I'm not in the greatest financial position at this point in time. Such is life.

And yeah, I misstated the "voluntary" turnover part - what I meant is that I'm planning on returning my car to the dealership - don't know if that's possible, but guessing from an earlier reply that it's not.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

@ 19k miles, you're not really over mileage. 15k/year puts you at 1,250 miles a month. you're 15 months into the lease which should be 18,750 miles.

maybe you can research shipping costs throughout the US and see if it's feasible to offer free shipping as well? i think shipping to the west coast is about $2k?

considering all this, you should know how much of a hit you can actually take before it just doesn't make sense anymore. if you have a hard time paying the car now, i don't know how you'll be able to find money to cover the loss. cash advance? line of credit? you're going to get people that are going to try to take advantage of your situation to get the best deal they can.
      08-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
when i got divorced, my ex stopped paying for her leased car, just to piss me off, since the car was on my name. after not paying for it for 4 months (and me having to pay for it because the finance company was calling me, not her) i went to her house in a middle of the night with my own key, unlocked the car, dumped all of her shit in the drive way and drove off. yes, i am that much of an asshole.

anyway, after this i ended up with 2 leased cars, so i had to turn one in. this fucked my credit history pretty bad for the next 7 years, because voluntary surrender still goes onto your credit history as repossession. not as bad as bankruptcy, but still pretty freaking bad. my credit score is still all fucked up, even though the only money i owe is on my E92.
      08-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
StrifeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13E92 MCB M3 18 F80M3 Atlantis

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
when i got divorced, my ex stopped paying for her leased car, just to piss me off, since the car was on my name. after not paying for it for 4 months (and me having to pay for it because the finance company was calling me, not her) i went to her house in a middle of the night with my own key, unlocked the car, dumped all of her shit in the drive way and drove off. yes, i am that much of an asshole.

anyway, after this i ended up with 2 leased cars, so i had to turn one in. this fucked my credit history pretty bad for the next 7 years, because voluntary surrender still goes onto your credit history as repossession. not as bad as bankruptcy, but still pretty freaking bad. my credit score is still all fucked up, even though the only money i owe is on my E92.

good stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
After buying the M, I now consider oil companies drug dealers.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
Mossive
Rep
Drives: e92 soon!

i had a similar situation and posted it on a local newspapers classifieds. within two days had two guys willing to sling deals of one way or another. its doable but takes some creative financing for sure. good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Not sure how it is in this economic climate, but back when I was in the business, a voluntary surrender (which is exactly the same as a repo) was worse than a Bankruptcy. I could get people approved all the time with bankruptcy, but not one person with a repo ever got bought. Do WHATEVER is in your power to avoid it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

How much do you owe, how much is it worth, and will you have no car when this is gone?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #14
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Depending on how much negative equity you have, you may be able to find a cheapish domestic car that is offering huge incentives to help soak up the negative equity. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Depending on how much negative equity you have, you may be able to find a cheapish domestic car that is offering huge incentives to help soak up the negative equity. Just a thought.
Smartest post so far. Go buy a G6 or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #16
Bubkus
Bubkus
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the responses Fellas - sincerely appreciated.

I did some research about the repo and it's as bad as some of you have stated - I will have to figure something out. And fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #17
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

have you called BMW yet to see what your options are?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
Bubkus
Bubkus
United_States
Rep

Called BMW and essentially, as a few of the others mentioned, I will have to sign a voluntary repossession. The car will then be auctioned, with me paying off the difference between the buyout and auction price.

The rep wasn't entirely sure about the credit issue, but was quite certain I will take a hit. Which I know I will.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #19
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubkus View Post
Fellas -

As I'll be unable to pay for my car (soon), I'm considering returning my 08 M3 to the dealership within a week or two. The car is currently on a 42 month lease, with nearly 25 months left and is posted in the "For Sale" section of M3Post. For those of you interested in checking it out, it's the "AW E92 M3: FS or Lease Assumption".

So, what are the repercussions? Obviously my credit will get destroyed, but is it as bad as a personal bankruptcy in that the latter remains on your file for 10 years? Furthermore, will I be forever 'blacklisted' by BMWFS? I'm assuming it will hurt my chances in buying a house (down the road)..........anyone know how badly?

Any options I'm not considering - I have tried to get rid of the car, but there are no takers.

Thoughts......suggestions.......will be greatly, greatly appreciated!
Voluntary least turn-in is far better than a repo on your credit. I would suggest you go to the dealer and talk to the finance manager, or call BMWFS.

A friend of mine is doing this with his Toyota. While each company is different, it basically goes like this:

1. If you are behind, you will have to get current.
2. If you are over miles for the period of you lease, you will owe for that.
3. You are breaking a contract, and there is usually a clause in your lease for this. You will pay a penalty, but they may be willing to work with you as you are being up-front with them and making it easy. Repo is a pita for everyone.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #20
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Voluntary least turn-in is far better than a repo on your credit. I would suggest you go to the dealer and talk to the finance manager, or call BMWFS.

That is incorrect. It is exactly the same as a repo, the terms are interchangeable. Anyone that has any experience in the car business (8 years for me) will tell you that.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #21
Mossive
Rep
Drives: e92 soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubkus View Post
Called BMW and essentially, as a few of the others mentioned, I will have to sign a voluntary repossession. The car will then be auctioned, with me paying off the difference between the buyout and auction price.

The rep wasn't entirely sure about the credit issue, but was quite certain I will take a hit. Which I know I will.

this was true with GMAC when i had troubles with my truck!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #22
Bubkus
Bubkus
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post

A friend of mine is doing this with his Toyota. While each company is different, it basically goes like this:

1. If you are behind, you will have to get current.
2. If you are over miles for the period of you lease, you will owe for that.
3. You are breaking a contract, and there is usually a clause in your lease for this. You will pay a penalty, but they may be willing to work with you as you are being up-front with them and making it easy. Repo is a pita for everyone.
I contacted my the finance rep at the dealership I picked up my car (BMW Gallery at Norwood). However, I have yet to hear back from her.......probably doesn't want to deal with me and my troubles now
Appreciate 0