E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone here in the Reserves?

11-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Anyone here in the Reserves?

Specifically the Air Force Reserves?

I've been thinking about possibily joining the Air Force as a reservist. I'm 26 have a college degree and have a white collar job. While I have a fantastic day job with a great company, my work is unfulfilling. I don't get the satisfaction of helping someone or making the world a better place. I've always wanted to get into urban search & rescue as a volunteer, but around here those are full time positions unlike a volunteer firefighter.

It seems to me that a reservist position offers the ability to still keep my day job, but also serve my country and doing something that will make a difference. 1 weekend a month doesn't sound bad at all. I understand I will have to go to basic training for 6 weeks and that's not an issue for me.

However is there more to a reservist than the recruiting sites are making it out to be. Is it really 1 weekend a month? What do you do during that weekend? How many hours do you work? How long do you have to commit to being a reservist? Am I in over my head? What questions should I ask a recruiter? What should I look out for?

If anyone knows, was or is a reservist and can provide some insight I would greatly appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
cryptkeeper
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS300

Are you looking to go as an officer or enlisted first off? If you want to be an officer are you trying to become rated or non-rated, IF you are deciding to become an officer? If you're looking more towards the role of helping the community you might want to look more towards the Air National Guard or the National Guard.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Good question. The airforce website makes it seems as though you can only become an officer if you've already been in the military and have a degree. As far as what rated or non-rated is...I have no clue what that means. I'll look into the National Guard/Air National Guard as well.

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
cryptkeeper
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS300

rated means you'll get a position that is flying related. it's pretty hard to become a pilot through the reserves or through the ANG because they have very few slots and usually the people applying to them already have prior time flying a specific platform (e.g. the California ANG opens up a slot for an F-16 pilot, they'll get about 100 applications and some of those will be F-16 pilots that are active duty looking to switch over. They have a better chance of getting that slot because that's less money the unit has to spend to train them). It isn't impossible though. I talked to a guy with no prior military time and he just applied to the California ANG and got a flight slot, right out of college and now he's lightin the sky up in vipers.

Anyways, non-rated is everything else AF officers do. If you want to be an officer, do not go to a basic recruiter. They might (read: will) try and lie to you, to get you to sign up enlisted. Look for what's called an OSO (Officer Selection Office) in the Marines. Not too sure what the AF calls them but I don't think it's that. That's where you'll go to seek a commission. Hope that helps a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

My background:
- 10+ yrs as a Naval officer (O-3)
- 2 yrs as a naval reservist
- 2 yrs as a Officer Recruiter

Here's the speel: when you sign up, if you decided to do so, make sure you read the contract fully and carefully. Since you have a college degree, definitely go for officer programs (i'm not familiar with AF officer programs, but make sure you choose a designation that's inline with your current occupation and potential for upward career movement, perhaps management or leadership positions). Do not get talked into going the rated or enlisted programs (much less pay and lots of BS from the officers).

When you sign up for the Reserves, it's typically a 4-year contract, with follow-on option to sign up for more or you can just quit after completing the initial contract. There are 2 types of Reserves, active and inactive, i'm currently in the inactive program. For your case, you will sign up as an active Reservist, where you will drill 1 weekend a month, and 2 full weeks per year. During your drilling or AT, you will accumulate points and time in service for your promotion in rank, from O-1 to O-2 to O-3, etc...Also be advised that when you sign that contract, you will also agree that you are eligible for mobility. What this means is that you will be sent to wherever the AF needs you, overseas, to a war zone, etc..you maybe sent to Germany, Korea, Africa, Iraq, Bahrain, etc...bottom line is, you are eligible and will be sent to wherever the AF needs you...it's typically a 1-year or 18-month tour. Of course while on active duty, you will be paid per the DoD's paygrade, with full military benefits (med, life insurance, other benefits, etc).

So what do you do during that 1-weekend/month AT? well, it could be anything from sitting on your a$$ all day surfin the internet to actually be out on the field, shooting M16 or combat training with other military services...it all depends on what job you signed up for. For example, if you signed up to be a pilot, then you'll be flying during your AT, or if you're in the Aviation programs, then you'll do anything that has to do with aviation, maintenance, supplies, logistics, whatever your supervisor asks you to do. For the 2-week AT period, you maybe asked to TAD/TDY somewhere, where you actually get to do some fun stuff..get in mud if you will, and actually earn your $$

Hopefully this info helps some, but if not, feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. And by the way, thanks for considering joining the military and serve your country. IMO, I think every hot-blooded able male should have some military training and service for our country..and I'm not even from here, an immigrant 27 yrs ago. Good luck!