E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Calling all Ducati Superbike Owners..!

11-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Calling all Ducati Superbike Owners..!

Happy Friday, Gents!

Wanted to reach out to all the Duc owners out there. Specifically, I'm looking for 848, 1098, or 1198 owners!

Just picked up a Pearl White 848 (2009), and already started tearing this thing apart -- that is, since I can't really ride in the winter. I'd like to see what you guys have, PICTURES PLEASE!!!, so I can see how you guys are modding these beasts, and get some inspiration.

Thus far, I have a few things installed... ASV Levers, Sato Racing rear sets.

GPR V4 steering damper - 1/2 way done w/ install...
New Fairing Stay... Need a new nose/upper fairing...

Future: Akrapovic or Termignoni slip on or exhaust... not sure which one yet.
Attached Images

E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Great looking bike, I love the pearl white on Ducs.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

I had 999 from 2003 up until about a month ago. Amazing bike.

At some point it looked like this:
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
I had 999 from 2003 up until about a month ago. Amazing bike.
Why'd you sell?!?! Looks amazing man... nice race shot!

How'd you like the Termignoni exhaust? Was it a slip or full? I just picked up Termignoni Slip Ons for my bike (bought off a guy with a 1098), no ECU, so I'm curious to see what issues I have running these slip ons without a tune.

BEAUTIFUL M, bud! That color combo... mmmmmm
E70 X5M (current)

Last edited by i M HOONIGAN; 11-21-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtech E90 E83 View Post
Why'd you sell?!?! Looks amazing man... nice race shot!

How'd you like the Termignoni exhaust? Was it a slip or full? I just picked up Termignoni Slip Ons for my bike (bought off a guy with a 1098), no ECU, so I'm curious to see what issues I have running these slip ons without a tune.

BEAUTIFUL M, bud! That color combo... mmmmmm
Thanks.

Had to make some room in the garage for spec e46 I am building. Haven't been racing bikes since 2009 anyway.

My was a slip-on, but I had power commander with custom map from day one. So can't help you there.
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Happy Friday, Gents!

Wanted to reach out to all the Duc owners out there. Specifically, I'm looking for 848, 1098, or 1198 owners!

Just picked up a Pearl White 848 (2009), and already started tearing this thing apart -- that is, since I can't really ride in the winter. I'd like to see what you guys have, PICTURES PLEASE!!!, so I can see how you guys are modding these beasts, and get some inspiration.

Thus far, I have a few things installed... ASV Levers, Sato Racing rear sets.

GPR V4 steering damper - 1/2 way done w/ install...
New Fairing Stay... Need a new nose/upper fairing...

Future: Akrapovic or Termignoni slip on or exhaust... not sure which one yet.
That is an awesome bike! Congrats on the new toy. I hope you rack up a lot of safe and fun miles with that thing.

I picked up this slightly used Panigale in September, to replace my stolen S1000RR during Labor Day Weekend. This Ducati is basically a devil in a red dress.

I absolutely love the way these Ducati (Plural...?) look and sound... but I still feel the Beemer was the all around better bike. No regrets though. I WILL master this thing... next year that is. WInter seems to be here now.

Looks like you have a nice garage to mod your new bike. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Attached Images

11-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
That is an awesome bike! Congrats on the new toy. I hope you rack up a lot of safe and fun miles with that thing.

I picked up this slightly used Panigale in September, to replace my stolen S1000RR during Labor Day Weekend. This Ducati is basically a devil in a red dress.

I absolutely love the way these Ducati (Plural...?) look and sound... but I still feel the Beemer was the all around better bike. No regrets though. I WILL master this thing... next year that is. WInter seems to be here now.

Looks like you have a nice garage to mod your new bike. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Absolutely stunning!!! Dagger on the S100RR man... True dagger. Those things are incredible... But, Pannigale?? That's a beast as well. I'm quite surprised that you think the S1000RR was a better bike overall; in a good way. I'm with you on the sound/feel of the Ducs... Just, nothing like it.

Will def post pictures of the "finished" product, but that won't be for a few weeks. Who the hell am i kidding, you're never done when it comes to modding...lol.

Enjoy your toys in good health, brother! You've got some excellent toys, and phenomenal taste (S1000RR, Pannigale, 6-GC!)!!!
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely stunning!!! Dagger on the S100RR man... True dagger. Those things are incredible... But, Pannigale?? That's a beast as well. I'm quite surprised that you think the S1000RR was a better bike overall; in a good way. I'm with you on the sound/feel of the Ducs... Just, nothing like it.

Will def post pictures of the "finished" product, but that won't be for a few weeks. Who the hell am i kidding, you're never done when it comes to modding...lol.

Enjoy your toys in good health, brother! You've got some excellent toys, and phenomenal taste (S1000RR, Pannigale, 6-GC!)!!!
Definitely looking forward to more pics as your bike evolves. I can tell the pic of your garage and the fact that you already found your way under the hood that you will make your 848 truly unique!

The Panigale is absolutely a beast. No complaints in the power department. She is just a bit jumpy at low RPMs compared to the S1K, which was smooth on the power delivery no matter where in the power band it was. I use my bike for commuting to and from work, so that's the only time I notice this small problem on an otherwise AWESOME Ducati. let me know what you think about the power delivery on your 848. I had my eye on a couple of EVOs, but the deal I got on the bike I chose was too good to pass up.

Thanks for the kudos on my toys. I really appreciate it. I normally don't treat myself too great when it comes to luxury, but sometimes you gotta go all in, LOL.

You have nice taste in toys as well. Can't go wrong with fine European machinery waiting for you to open the garage door every day. Stay safe and enjoy getting to know your new Italian girlfriend!
      11-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Definitely looking forward to more pics as your bike evolves. I can tell the pic of your garage and the fact that you already found your way under the hood that you will make your 848 truly unique!

The Panigale is absolutely a beast. No complaints in the power department. She is just a bit jumpy at low RPMs compared to the S1K, which was smooth on the power delivery no matter where in the power band it was. I use my bike for commuting to and from work, so that's the only time I notice this small problem on an otherwise AWESOME Ducati. let me know what you think about the power delivery on your 848. I had my eye on a couple of EVOs, but the deal I got on the bike I chose was too good to pass up.

Thanks for the kudos on my toys. I really appreciate it. I normally don't treat myself too great when it comes to luxury, but sometimes you gotta go all in, LOL.

You have nice taste in toys as well. Can't go wrong with fine European machinery waiting for you to open the garage door every day. Stay safe and enjoy getting to know your new Italian girlfriend!
Thanks, my man... Modding is my curse. It seems i can't ever leave something alone - despite how great it already is. Hell, I put RED LEDs on my Toro riding mower, as well as a tow hook on the back (so i can drag my wife around in a sled once it starts snowing hahaha). The Duc is definitely under the knife , and I'll be sure to post pics (and sound clips) once I get her the way I want her .

The Panig is definitely a beast... Aren't the panig performance stats for acceleration faster than an F1 car? Ridiculous... I equate the Panig to a Victoria's Secret model.

As for the bit jumpy on low RPM's, I definitely agree with that one. Granted, i only put about 5 miles on her once I took delivery, but I definitely noticed that the motor doesn't want to be in the low RPM range. Definitely jerky down low, but after 2-3K, that motor just wants to lift the front up without any effort. My last bike was a R6s (2007), and that was smooth throughout the entire rev band. However, the difference between a Twin and the inline-4 is night/day. While the R6s was smooth, I found myself constantly revving the piss out of that motor to get any power. As for the twin, well, instant torque, deep throaty motor, and 10-11k redline vs the R6 at 18-19K redline. The Duc feels like it runs on diesel b/c of the instant torque difference.

The one thing I noticed about the Duc is that those motors HATE cold weather. The R6 started in 10-degree weather and was comfortable idling. However, the Duc does not want to idle in temps under 40 degrees... As soon as the motor kicks over, I need to keep on the throttle a little bit (say, 2-2.5K for a minute or two) to get the motor warm. Once the temp registers on the dash, then the motor idles comfortably. These things act just like supermodels.

If you go from your Panig to a 848EVO, isn't that kind of like going from an M3 to a 335? But, Will definitely update on the power delivery once I clock some more miles on her. The Panig scares the crap out of me - from what I've seen, those things are legitimate race bikes...

You definitely went all in with your toys my man. I dream about the 6-GC every day, and imho, that's the sexiest bimmer ever released (other than the iconic z8). Enjoy your toys in great health, and safe riding!
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, my man... Modding is my curse. It seems i can't ever leave something alone - despite how great it already is. Hell, I put RED LEDs on my Toro riding mower, as well as a tow hook on the back (so i can drag my wife around in a sled once it starts snowing hahaha). The Duc is definitely under the knife , and I'll be sure to post pics (and sound clips) once I get her the way I want her .

The Panig is definitely a beast... Aren't the panig performance stats for acceleration faster than an F1 car? Ridiculous... I equate the Panig to a Victoria's Secret model.

As for the bit jumpy on low RPM's, I definitely agree with that one. Granted, i only put about 5 miles on her once I took delivery, but I definitely noticed that the motor doesn't want to be in the low RPM range. Definitely jerky down low, but after 2-3K, that motor just wants to lift the front up without any effort. My last bike was a R6s (2007), and that was smooth throughout the entire rev band. However, the difference between a Twin and the inline-4 is night/day. While the R6s was smooth, I found myself constantly revving the piss out of that motor to get any power. As for the twin, well, instant torque, deep throaty motor, and 10-11k redline vs the R6 at 18-19K redline. The Duc feels like it runs on diesel b/c of the instant torque difference.

The one thing I noticed about the Duc is that those motors HATE cold weather. The R6 started in 10-degree weather and was comfortable idling. However, the Duc does not want to idle in temps under 40 degrees... As soon as the motor kicks over, I need to keep on the throttle a little bit (say, 2-2.5K for a minute or two) to get the motor warm. Once the temp registers on the dash, then the motor idles comfortably. These things act just like supermodels.

If you go from your Panig to a 848EVO, isn't that kind of like going from an M3 to a 335? But, Will definitely update on the power delivery once I clock some more miles on her. The Panig scares the crap out of me - from what I've seen, those things are legitimate race bikes...

You definitely went all in with your toys my man. I dream about the 6-GC every day, and imho, that's the sexiest bimmer ever released (other than the iconic z8). Enjoy your toys in great health, and safe riding!
I know how the Mod bug can leave it's mark. I always enjoyed customizing my toys as well. Always have. Except for the past two years. Maybe I'm getting older, or cheaper (saving up for my next toy), or lazier, lol.

You are right about how the Ducati acts when the revs are low, but what a blast when you give it some good throttle. As far as the cold weather goes, I will take the bike out as long as it's 40 degrees F or higher, and no precipitation, but my bike hasn't given me a problem on start up like the one you are describing. Unless you are starting your bike up in temps hovering around the freezing mark.

Just to clarify, what I ment was when I was shopping for a replacement bike, the dealer I was working with had two Evos on the floor, so I was contemplating one of those... until I found a private seller who offered me a great deal on the Pani I ended up taking.

It sounds like you are more mechanically inclined than I am, so I will be checking with you from time to time as the years go by so I can continue to enhance my bike to keep her fresh and exciting for years to come!
      11-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Here's an older picture of my 09 848:

Mods I've done:

Ohlins 25mm fork cartridges
Ohlins TTX rear shock
Acculign rearsets
Akrapovic Titanium slip ons
Brembo monoblock callipers
Pazzo Racing adjustable levers
Ducati Corse seat
And other miscellaneous stuff

Forgot to add....Caswell epoxy coating for the crap fuel tank Ducati gave us.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

I think they're the best looking bikes on the roads but they sound like $hit though...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Here's an older picture of my 09 848:

Mods I've done:

Ohlins 25mm fork cartridges
Ohlins TTX rear shock
Acculign rearsets
Akrapovic Titanium slip ons
Brembo monoblock callipers
Pazzo Racing adjustable levers
Ducati Corse seat
And other miscellaneous stuff

Forgot to add....Caswell epoxy coating for the crap fuel tank Ducati gave us.
Looks jut like my twin . Even the thank pad (sides) are the same!!!

What's the purpose of the caswell epoxy coating? I've been doing some research, and I haven't heard of anyone having any issues w/ their gas tank - other than replacing it because it was dropped, etc... Any more info on this would be great!
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Looks jut like my twin . Even the thank pad (sides) are the same!!!

What's the purpose of the caswell epoxy coating? I've been doing some research, and I haven't heard of anyone having any issues w/ their gas tank - other than replacing it because it was dropped, etc... Any more info on this would be great!
If you do a search on expanding fuel tank and ethanol, you'll see lots of hits. Ducati screwed up and sourced a plastic fuel tank which is susceptible to the ethanol used in US fuels. The ethanol attacks the plastic and causes the tank to deform. At best, the tank is messed up cosmetically with bumps and pimples on the tank. At worst, you'll have expansion which will cause interference with a steering damper (if you choose to add one to your bike), remounting the tank as the tank will no longer line up with the mounting brackets, or at the extreme cracking of the internal vent tubes which will cause fuel leaks (there has been one confirmed instance of this on the Ducati.org forum).

There was a class action law suit by some blood sucking lawyers looking to capitalize on this. I chose not to join the suit as it would give away any follow up remedies I would have in suing Ducati. The class action let Ducati off the hook and provided the blood suckers their pay out. The terms of the class action which was approved by court was to provide an "extended" warranty. This extended the period which Ducati would cover any defects to I think it was 6 years. But based on the wording, Ducati would only do ONE replacement. In addition, there were specific guidelines on what constituted an acceptable claim. For cosmetic defects, the defect would have to be a certain size. The follow on warranty for the replacement would be one year for a physical failure once the tank was replaced and 6 months for a cosmetic. Ducati's answer to the fuel tank issue was to replace the tanks with the SAME plastic material tank but made the tank slightly smaller to allow for any expansion. Now does that really make sense? Some of us wanted Ducati to give us a credit on the replacement tanks so we could use the Ducati Performance aluminum tanks instead with us picking up the cost of painting the tanks. Ducati said no. Ducati also hasn't volunteered to any of us with financial help in picking up the cost of epoxy coating our tanks. Which from the choices Ducat has left us, is the ONLY solution to this problem.

When the class action lawsuit came out, many thought it was a "good thing" but these Ducati fan boys didn't read the fine print of the settlement. I did and it was glaring how lop sided the remedy was. Some owners reported having to have their tank replaced twice and Ducati was doing it even outside of the standard warranty. The class action now put a finite responsibility on Ducati which made the situation worse not better.

If I sound bitter about this, I am. Because for a brand with the history and heritage it has to blatantly give their owners the middle finger on this problem is nothing short of a travesty. I can tell you if I had known about this issue before buying my 848, I would have definitely had a S1000RR in my garage instead; especially since I've had the experience of running the S1000RR around the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
I think they're the best looking bikes on the roads but they sound like $hit though...
I disagree. I don't know how the other Ducs you've heard sound but I love the way mine sounds with the Akra slip ons. Extremely aggressive sound at the right volume.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #16
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I can't stand mine. The clutch is driving me insane! It's not a daily or a street bike. Track bike, yes.

I bought new aluminum basket, disks, all other clutch components... Still sounds like normal ducati and you can either drive 30 in first gear or 80 in 2nd and on you go. No middle ground. Otherwise it shakes, vibrates and shit.

Look wise, it's beautiful... It's an art piece... Which is what mine has become. Put maybe 100 miles in 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
I can't stand mine. The clutch is driving me insane! It's not a daily or a street bike. Track bike, yes.

I bought new aluminum basket, disks, all other clutch components... Still sounds like normal ducati and you can either drive 30 in first gear or 80 in 2nd and on you go. No middle ground. Otherwise it shakes, vibrates and shit.

Look wise, it's beautiful... It's an art piece... Which is what mine has become. Put maybe 100 miles in 2 years.
Which bike do you have? I assume you have a dry clutch.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #18
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

lol, Ducati, I rather spend time riding my bike rather than fixing it in the garage all the time

Beemers ftw!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #19
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
lol, Ducati, I rather spend time riding my bike rather than fixing it in the garage all the time

Beemers ftw!
Reminds me of this gem:

But after some initial issues with my bike outside of the stupid tank issue, my 848 has been pretty reliable. All of the issues were caught while under the 2 years manufacturer's warranty.

Oh and your comment about Beemers FTW. Me at the track:

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #20
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
I disagree. I don't know how the other Ducs you've heard sound but I love the way mine sounds with the Akra slip ons. Extremely aggressive sound at the right volume.
Just put my Termignoni's up for sale (never even put them on), and decided to go the Akra slip-on route... mmm, can't wait. The Akra's have this whine to them that sounds like a charger spooling up - can't really explain it. But, the twin-sound comes to life with this kit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post

Beemers ftw!
LOL... yea man, but I'm looking forward to it. Love doing what I can with my hands if I'm capable, and I'm SURE these bikes will be far easier to work on than my E90 hahaha. That thing looks great though, classy!

Quote:
Reminds me of this gem:

But after some initial issues with my bike outside of the stupid tank issue, my 848 has been pretty reliable. All of the issues were caught while under the 2 years manufacturer's warranty.

Oh and your comment about Beemers FTW. Me at the track:
Awesome... I haven't heard one negative review about the S1000R. The one gripe I had was the lop-sided headlights - could not stand them... Then, I saw the bike in-person, and immediately took back what I said about those headlights.
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #21
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Just put my Termignoni's up for sale (never even put them on), and decided to go the Akra slip-on route... mmm, can't wait. The Akra's have this whine to them that sounds like a charger spooling up - can't really explain it. But, the twin-sound comes to life with this kit!!

LOL... yea man, but I'm looking forward to it. Love doing what I can with my hands if I'm capable, and I'm SURE these bikes will be far easier to work on than my E90 hahaha. That thing looks great though, classy!

Awesome... I haven't heard one negative review about the S1000R. The one gripe I had was the lop-sided headlights - could not stand them... Then, I saw the bike in-person, and immediately took back what I said about those headlights.
This is my personal opinion and many think it's heresy to say this in the Ducati cult. But in my opinion Termis are just overpriced junk. If you compare the build quality between an Akra and a Termi, the differences are obvious. I've never heard of one instance where an Akra has failed. But there are documented instances of the crap welds in Termis blowing apart. It's also funny that many think the new style Termis for our bikes was something fresh and new when Akra came out with the design way before Termi did.

So good for you in getting rid of the the overpriced junk and getting some quality components for your bike.

As far as the S1000RR, yes, it's everything everyone has said. The bike is just awesome on the track. If I had ridden one prior to getting my 848, I would have an S1000RR in my garage instead of the Duc. Would I sell my 848 right now to get a S1000RR, no. But if I'm in the market again, I would definitely be looking at a S1000RR.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #22
i M HOONIGAN
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
This is my personal opinion and many think it's heresy to say this in the Ducati cult. But in my opinion Termis are just overpriced junk. If you compare the build quality between an Akra and a Termi, the differences are obvious. I've never heard of one instance where an Akra has failed. But there are documented instances of the crap welds in Termis blowing apart. It's also funny that many think the new style Termis for our bikes was something fresh and new when Akra came out with the design way before Termi did.

So good for you in getting rid of the the overpriced junk and getting some quality components for your bike.

As far as the S1000RR, yes, it's everything everyone has said. The bike is just awesome on the track. If I had ridden one prior to getting my 848, I would have an S1000RR in my garage instead of the Duc. Would I sell my 848 right now to get a S1000RR, no. But if I'm in the market again, I would definitely be looking at a S1000RR.
Good info... And yes, I've heard about the welds on Termigs. I'm in the process of building out my Akra (already have the left one, waiting on right and clamps), and compared the two, but maybe the guy i bought the Termis from has the newer-style slip-on pipe portion? I'm not sure... but, i didn't see any flaws with welds or anything like that. However, Akras are just stunning works of art, and I while I pulled the trigger on a set of Termis, I knew deep down that I'll always be thinking about akras...

On another note, I started looking into the Gas Tank Swelling problem, and I'm starting to understand what you're saying. Plastic and ethanol seems to be destroying these tanks... I'm going to look into that Caswell tank coating (once I start seeing imperfections from the swelling) when I'm ready for a new tank. Thanks for the great info on that - I saw a few folks on Duc.org doing that treatment, and it seems to be holding up.

My bike is a 2009 with just over 3000 miles. I read that once the tank starts becoming subject to swelling, dimples in paint, etc., the tank is starting to degrade... However, how can i tell if the tank is "swelling"? Will the tank start rubbing on something, or is there anything I should be looking out for other than the dimples in paint?

Thank you.
E70 X5M (current)
Appreciate 0