E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > IFH-0009 Error

07-23-2020, 01:55 AM   #1
downunderbmer
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i 2007

IFH-0009 Error

Hi,
I have a 2007 320i, N46 engine, production date 2007-03-01.
I had a red "Steering Lock" icon on the display, and the car would not crank or start. I used Tool 32 to remove the error icon, using a K+DCAN cable.
Now, the car cranks, but does not start.
I have put in a new battery. I tried using INPA to recalibrate the EWS, but I got this error: EDIABAS - Error
ApiResultText: Error #19
IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT
API job error or no such result!
Continue script processing? Yes/No
Selecting either Yes or No takes me back to the start point with no change to the problem.
I am running Windows 8, with 64 bit operating system.
I am also a novice with regard to computerese, so I 'd be grateful if any help was in plain English as far as possible. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:16 AM   #2
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunderbmer View Post
Hi,
I have a 2007 320i, N46 engine, production date 2007-03-01.
I had a red "Steering Lock" icon on the display, and the car would not crank or start. I used Tool 32 to remove the error icon, using a K+DCAN cable.
I have put in a new battery. I tried using INPA to recalibrate the EWS, but I got this error: EDIABAS - Error
IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT
API job error or no such result!
Continue script processing? Yes/No
Selecting either Yes or No takes me back to the start point with no change to the problem.
I am running Windows 8, with 64 bit operating system.
I am also a novice with regard to computerese, so I 'd be grateful if any help was in plain English as far as possible. Thanks!!
Try downloading ISTA from bimmergeeks.net and using that to do a DME -CAS realignment. It's free to download. INPA is for the Get 'er done types who don't like new things and can't be bothered learning new things. ISTA is much better.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... 2007 320i, N46 engine, production date 2007-03-01.
IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT...
The STATEMENT of the Error in the message suggests to me that, well, uh, INPA is NOT getting any response/ reply/ communication from the DME.

FIRST thing that suggests to me is that the DME is NOT powered -- NO VOLTAGE SUPPLY to the DME. Therefore INPA CANNOT connect to the DME Module. If you have selected an INCORRECT DME from the Right-hand Listbox, AFTER selecting "Engine" in the Left-hand Listbox, INPA would have given you a DIFFERENT Error Message. For example, if you selected MSV80 for N52KP, it would have responded that it can't find MSV80 BUT did find MEV9 for N46, or something similar.

I would use INPA > Functional Jobs > F2 Identification, and see if your DME appears with ADDR = 12, AFTER 01 MRS5, and BEFORE 17 EKP. If your DME does NOT appear in that list of ALL Control Modules, then it is NOT powered.

I am NOT familiar with the ELV (Steering Lock) as that was NOT used in vehicles sold in US, built AFTER 12/31/2006, so if DME function is disabled due to the ELV, I don't have a clue. HOWEVER, there are two ELV Diagnosis Screens in INPA, when you connect to the CAS Module:
CAS > F5 Status > F5 Status ELV > F1 ELV Identification
CAS > F5 Status > F5 Status ELV > F2 ELV Values

Here is the DME Voltage Supply circuit for your 3/1/2007 320i E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/i9JQxgw

I would check to make sure BOTH fuses, F50 & F77 are intact, AND the DME Main Relay, K6300 is functioning when START button is pressed WITHOUT pressing Brake or Clutch (Ignition ON). The 10 Amp fuse F50 may NOT be powering the DME to allow it to either activate the DME Relay via Pin #14 of X60002, or to "Respond" to the INPA query. There are INPA Screens that will SHOW Terminal/ Relay function WITHOUT having to take anything apart:

1) For Terminals 15 (Ignition) and 30G:
CAS > F5 Status > F2 Analog > F1 Diagnose Terminals

2) For Terminal 87 (DME Relay) Function, BUT have to connect to DME:
DME > F5 Status > F2 Analog > F1 Measured Values Group 1; Top-Left Bar Graph
DME > F6 Activations > F2 > F1 Terminal 87 DME Main Relay

All five INPA screens described above are attached so you can understand what the Screens or INPA Information Display looks like. If your vehicle has an ELV, those first two screens should look a LOT different, as my vehicle has NO ELV.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:19 AM   #4
downunderbmer
Rep

Thanks for the detailed instructions, George.
I have tried to follow as best as I could. I have attached photos of the results. I would be grateful if you would review them and advise me.
Please stick with me!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... I have attached photos of the results. I would be grateful if you would review them and advise me...
Perhaps I misunderstood your initial post. Are you STILL Unable to connect to the DME (MEV9 for N46L)? IF you CAN now connect to that Module (selecting Engine in Left Script Selection Listbox, press Tab to Navigate to Right ListBox, Scroll Down to MEV9 for N46, and press Enter), Select F4 Fault Memory, F1 Read Fault Memory, and F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame, and Save ALL Screens showing Fault Memory Details.

NOT to be picky, but if you press "Shft+PrtSc" and then Paste that temporary file to "Paint" (Windows Accessory) or other photo editor, you can "SaveAs" that image file as a jpg format file in a folder of your choice, to later view/attach that jpg file here so we can see it (INSTEAD of taking a photo of your computer screen). That eliminates the camera/phone intermediate step and gives BETTER image for later viewing or posting.

I would suggest "Next Steps" (ONLY after reading ENTIRE post):
1) Test DME Main Relay operation/activation as described in my previous post;
2) Try to connect to the MRS Module to read Fault Code Details, and ALSO try to connect to the DSC Module to read Fault Code Details. NEITHER of those Modules are listed in "Functional Jobs > F2 Identification", so even though faults for those Modules are shown in "Functional Jobs > F4 Fault Memory, All Modules" you may NOT be able to connect directly to DSC or MRS, similar to NOT being able to connect directly to DME.
3) AFTER saving DSC Fault Details Screens (to extent possible) and recording your current Odometer reading, try Clearing/Deleting existing Fault Codes using "Functional Jobs > F4 > F2 Clear Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Loschen)"
4) If I have clearly misunderstood what Modules you can NOW connect to, and you CAN NOW Connect to DME, MRS or DSC, BEFORE you delete/clear ANY Fault Codes, Connect to those modules and use F4 Fault Memory, F1 Read Fault Memory, to Read as MUCH Detail of current Fault Codes as possible, and SAVE any screens as jpg files to post here.

Since I'm ~ 12 hours "Out-of-Phase" with your time, and 6 MONTHS Out-of-phase with your Weather, and know NOTHING about ELV Immobilizer, perhaps I'm NOT best-situated to help.

Here are my observations from Evaluating & Comparing YOUR INPA screens to mine:

I. Functional Jobs > F2 Identification Screen:
1) 12 DME MEV9N46L Module present in List of Modules, But See Below:
2) In F4 Fault Memory, DME has Fault Code 2F44, which has this Definition (BMW Fault Code Lookup):
2F44 | DME: Electronic car immobilization system | mev9n46 | Engine electronics

So, you have that ELV Fault Code, which suggests to me that DME Function is disabled. IF you still CANNOT connect to the DME, you can try using "Functional Jobs > F4 > F2 Clear Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Loschen)" and see if 2F44 is cleared and if it returns upon attempted Engine Start.

3) 01 MRS5 (Multiple Restraint System) Module NOT present in Module List
4) 01 MRS Fault Code:
9408 | MRS: Undervoltage during self-test | mrs5 | Multiple restraint system

I have NO IDEA if this is related to DME immobilization, but it appears to correlate with 7.07V Terminal R Value as discussed below, and it might explain why MRS Module is NOT in F2 Module List.

5) 29 DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) Module ALSO missing from List. See Below.

II. Functional Jobs > F4 > Fault Memory, All Modules (Your LAST Screen):

1) Since you have saved this screen, NO harm in using F4 > F2 to CLEAR all fault codes, as long as you have saved all screens that might contain helpful information related to current issues.

2) EGS GS19b Fault Code 51AD indicates DSC issue transmitting to EGS:
51AD | No message, receiver EGS, transmitter DSC | gs19b | Transmission control

3) DSC ?85/87? Faults: 5DF4, 5DF7, D373, 5E18, Definitions below:
5DF4 | DSC: Battery voltage too low; open circuit | dsc_87
5DF7 | DSC: System voltage too high | dsc_87
D373 | Message (steering column switch cluster 0xC8, 0xC9) missing, receiver DSC, transmitter steering column switch cluster/LWS | dsc_87
5E18 | DSC: Engine management: interface | dsc_87

4) 3C CDC (CD Changer) PROBABLY NOT Relevant :
9D28 | CDC: Changer mechanism, load CD | cdc_e65 | CD Changer

5) 40 CAS: NO Faults. Now that Starter Cranks, NONE expected.

III. CAS Status ELV:
First Screen Indicates CAS receives Identification Data from ELV (as compared to my "0" screen as I have NO ELV.
Second Screen has same "Result not available" = "ergebnis nicht verfügbar" readout of Values as my screen with NO ELV. That suggests SOMETHING about the ELV is STILL NOT working properly. I don't know what effect, if any, clearing fault codes with Functional Jobs might have.

IV. CAS Status Terminals:
NOTE the Voltage of Terminal R on your screen (7.07 V) compared to 12.34 battery voltage on my screen. I'm NOT sure WHY that Value is so low. Perhaps a wiring fault or issue with the CAS Module? Note that Terminal R of CAS Module supplies power to the MRS Module, which is reporting "Undervoltage" during self test (Fault Code 9408). Here is MRS wiring diagram showing CAS Power supply via Violet/Blue wire, from Connector/Pin X13376/5 of CAS to X18069/42 of MRS, as shown in Left edge of schematic:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/exVkQ3A
Here is the rather lengthy & somewhat difficult to follow "Funtional Description" of the MRS (Multiple Restraint System), which indicates that CAS supplies Power to the MRS via Terminal R:
The CAS control unit delivers input signals with regard to terminal voltage (e.g. terminal R On). The MRS control unit is supplied with voltage by the CAS control unit (as of terminal R).
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...tches/9TvdH3zD

The CAS/ELV "Interface" with the DME via the Black/Violet and Black/Green wires shown connected to CAS in the following schematic may also be involved in the Mix.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...iliser/qDuGcky

If simply clearing the codes does NOT allow DME Function, then solving this issue may be "Beyond my pay grade & experience" particularly as I have avoided delving into the VERY complicated ELV circuitry which BMW has a proprietary interest in NOT explaining to potential car thieves.

Hope YOU can educate the rest of us,
George
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
downunderbmer
Rep

So, here are the results of my endeavours:
The error log, after selecting Engine, MEV9 etc is below, showing 2F44.
I cannot find either the MRS or DSC modules to read.
I then went into Functional Jobs, F4, read errors:
Again, 2F44.
I then deleted the errors and hit F1 again:
Screenshot 3
I then tried to start the car, with no success, just a long crank. The screenshots 4 and 5 show errors again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 01:08 AM   #7
downunderbmer
Rep

SUCCESS!!

After struggling with my "crank, no start" problem for months, I decided to start from scratch. I deleted all the files I had downloaded from various sources and downloaded "Standard Tools" from https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads.
Opened INPA, Selected "Body", "Car Access System", F6 to activate. Ignore the error message and select OK, "F2 - Sync Motor ECU". Done.
Turn off ignition, wait 10 seconds. Turn on ignition, hold breath and press start.
Success!!
I hope this helps others who may be in the same boat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 07:35 AM   #8
Phantoml337
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E63 645CI

Quote:
After struggling with my "crank, no start" problem for months, I decided to start from scratch. I deleted all the files I had downloaded from various sources and downloaded "Standard Tools" from https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads.
Opened INPA, Selected "Body", "Car Access System", F6 to activate. Ignore the error message and select OK, "F2 - Sync Motor ECU". Done.
Turn off ignition, wait 10 seconds. Turn on ignition, hold breath and press start.
Success!!
I hope this helps others who may be in the same boat.
I love you man, you saved me
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 04:56 AM   #9
Filip123
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e46

I had this error,IFH-0009, and helped me switch the switch to the right side (if you have cable with switch). (Bmw e46)

Last edited by Filip123; 12-24-2023 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: Addition
Appreciate 0