E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > new job offer, but based on contingency of background check

04-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Just to put this out there in case this might help someone going after a different job position, your driving record does matter when it comes to Federal security cleared jobs. The rationale is to get an overall picture of the person and their propensity/ability to follow rules. If you have an excessive number of tickets, this can affect your ability to get or maintain a Federal security clearance. The assumption the adjudicator is going to make is you can't follow the rules or you won't follow rules.
That's true, but you'd have to have an insanely poor driving record that's relatively young. Even then, you'd probably just get someone from the DoD or FBI or whatever to come in and ask you about it. It's typically a judgement call.

Things like recent drug use, poor credit, dual citizenship, etc. tend to be grounds for immediate denial.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #24
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

Its normal. All of my jobs have had a background check of sorts. Your best bet is be straight forward with them and when you fill out the background paper work, list all tickets and violations you have. If it says "go back 5 years" then do just that. Its better for you to tell them than for them to find out and them think you are hiding it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
That's true, but you'd have to have an insanely poor driving record that's relatively young. Even then, you'd probably just get someone from the DoD or FBI or whatever to come in and ask you about it. It's typically a judgement call.

Things like recent drug use, poor credit, dual citizenship, etc. tend to be grounds for immediate denial.
Yes, it's a judgement call. That's why there are adjudicators which are the final say in granting or renewing your clearance. But why provide them with additional ammunition if you don't have to with moving violations. When I went through one of the clearances I had, I was surprised they were able to go back about 7 years to find the speeding ticket I got out of state. This was even after I had my driving record expunged.

Poor credit isn't an immediate denial. You are provided a means to explain why you have poor credit or any bankruptcies. You can find varying cases where people were granted clearances with a poor financial record resulting from medical or in one case I read about the person was recovering from a failed business venture. Here are listings of real adjudicated cases where you can find all sorts of situations where people were either denied or granted clearances:

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #26
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Lots of good reads. I would imagine prior to offering me the position that they did a credit check & employment verification already (possibly why it took almost 2 months to eventually offer me something?), those are pretty simple to do. I was just worried about my driving record, but I think I'm in the clear when I reviewed the DMVR disclosure, as none of my speeding tickets, careless driving, exhibition driving are well beyond 8 years old.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 12:23 AM   #27
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

If your driving record is the only skeleton in the closet, you have nothing to worry about. Even if driving was part of your job, your last moving violation dates back 8 years.

Most companies do pre-employment background checks and they are very basic: Typically a 7 year criminal background check, credit, and driving record. It isn't until you get into high level security, financial, and executive level screens that you really get vetted.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #28
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I ended up getting the position; I received an email yesterday morning that my background check was acceptable, and I received a revised offer with a new start date. Great! excited as I'm still in school finishing up on my Health Administration degree and here I am landing a hospital management position (3-4 steps higher than most due to my experience in healthcare, since most start off as admin assistant) prior to graduation who chose this field

I actually overstated my municipal speeding infractions, I received 4, not 6 (but 4 is 4 too many still!).

thanks everyone for the good read! I'm the type of person who needs open conversations during anxious times; a good alternative to medications no? lol
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #29
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice
I ended up getting the position; I received an email yesterday morning that my background check was acceptable, and I received a revised offer with a new start date. Great! excited as I'm still in school finishing up on my Health Administration degree and here I am landing a hospital management position (3-4 steps higher than most due to my experience in healthcare, since most start off as admin assistant) prior to graduation who chose this field

I actually overstated my municipal speeding infractions, I received 4, not 6 (but 4 is 4 too many still!).

thanks everyone for the good read! I'm the type of person who needs open conversations during anxious times; a good alternative to medications no? lol
Congrats! That's an awesome start to your career!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #30
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Congrats on the new job, dude! Well done.

All the best in your new position.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #31
MikeD
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Congratulations on this. Sounds like a great job for you. Now get out there and deliver those transplant livers!
Appreciate 0