E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > 2013 College Football Season

09-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #45
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

doe it bother anyone else that a teams season can be defined by 1 game, hell they can be defined by the first game. Take my team for example(Gamecocks) they win their first non conference game and lose then next to GA now their chances of even making it to the SEC championship are slim to none that freaking sucks!

also what is this thing about a new playoff system that i hear about, anyone care to explain?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #46
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Uh oh! Blocked punt ties the game. GA has a fight on its hands with North Texas...

One game does not rule out SC. We haven't had an undefeated national champ in years. Run the table from here and win the SEC championship and odds are good SC is in the title game.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #47
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Uh oh! Blocked punt ties the game. GA has a fight on its hands with North Texas...

One game does not rule out SC. We haven't had an undefeated national champ in years. Run the table from here and win the SEC championship and odds are good SC is in the title game.
The final score doesn't tell the story, they were tied till the middle of the third quarter weren't they? Seems like they were looking ahead in the schedule and overlooking North Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
doe it bother anyone else that a teams season can be defined by 1 game, hell they can be defined by the first game. Take my team for example(Gamecocks) they win their first non conference game and lose then next to GA now their chances of even making it to the SEC championship are slim to none that freaking sucks!

also what is this thing about a new playoff system that i hear about, anyone care to explain?
I think really why people throw them out is because if they don't go to the SEC championship and win, they most likely won't go to the national championship. The SEC East is more forgiving in terms of losing an SEC conference game than the West. Like kscarrol said, SC definitely isn't out of the running, they just made it harder on themselves.

The playoff system will come into play next year. The top 4 teams will compete in two games, then the winner of each game will play each other for the title. This is from Wikipedia:

"The four-team bracket will pit the No. 1-ranked team against No. 4 and No. 2 vs. No. 3. The selection committee will seed the two semifinal games to prevent the top two seeds from playing in a "road" environment. There will be no limits on the number of teams per conference, in a change from previous BCS rules. Bowl selections will not be determined by conference "automatic qualifier" berths, as used in the BCS, though there will be conference tie-ins for certain non-semifinal bowl games along with an annual guaranteed spot for a mid-major representative."
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #48
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

While I am for the playoff system, folks will find something to complain about the committee and the teams selected. The fans of teams at #5 and #6 will complain that they were some how wronged and left out of the playoffs just like folks complain about the current BCS selection process.

The BCS was established because people thought the human polls that provided the rankings were biased and unfair to many teams. So an elaborate system of human polls and computer rankings was established to try and remove the bias of the human polls. That resulted in rankings based on things like strength of schedule which ultimately left someone out in the cold. 2003 was the biggest example with USC ultimately being missing out on the BCS. In the interest of full disclosure I am an LSU fan, and all throughout the 2003 season, USC was ahead of us in the polls because we had a weaker strength of schedule in the computer polls due to early season teams we played. I'd read the blogs and USC fans were saying "too bad LSU, shouldn't have played those patsy teams at the beginning of the season". At that point they were all in favor of the BCS system. Then teams that they had played early in the season fell apart so suddenly their strength of schedule actually cost them a spot in the BCS game. Suddenly the system was wrong and unfair. So then the BCS system was adjusted to give the human polls more weight, essentially moving backwards toward the system that people wanted to get rid of by setting up the BCS. That was OK for a few seasons but then folks found something else to complain about.

Point of the rant: somebody is still going to feel left out or slighted by the selection process. We will have controversy even in the new playoff system...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #49
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
While I am for the playoff system, folks will find something to complain about the committee and the teams selected. The fans of teams at #5 and #6 will complain that they were some how wronged and left out of the playoffs just like folks complain about the current BCS selection process.

The BCS was established because people thought the human polls that provided the rankings were biased and unfair to many teams. So an elaborate system of human polls and computer rankings was established to try and remove the bias of the human polls. That resulted in rankings based on things like strength of schedule which ultimately left someone out in the cold. 2003 was the biggest example with USC ultimately being missing out on the BCS. In the interest of full disclosure I am an LSU fan, and all throughout the 2003 season, USC was ahead of us in the polls because we had a weaker strength of schedule in the computer polls due to early season teams we played. I'd read the blogs and USC fans were saying "too bad LSU, shouldn't have played those patsy teams at the beginning of the season". At that point they were all in favor of the BCS system. Then teams that they had played early in the season fell apart so suddenly their strength of schedule actually cost them a spot in the BCS game. Suddenly the system was wrong and unfair. So then the BCS system was adjusted to give the human polls more weight, essentially moving backwards toward the system that people wanted to get rid of by setting up the BCS. That was OK for a few seasons but then folks found something else to complain about.

Point of the rant: somebody is still going to feel left out or slighted by the selection process. We will have controversy even in the new playoff system...
There's no doubt someone will find something to complain about. That's why I believe that the FCS has their system working quite well. When I was at Georgia Southern I never really heard of any complaints regarding the selection of teams for the playoffs. Yeah, there would be some back and forth when there were teams that had the same records but didn't get to go because of strength of schedule, but I believe that the system that the FCS is on is the way to go in the future for FBS.

Whether they choose to go down that path after next season, we will see.
Appreciate 0