E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Ran against a friend's GSXR-600 today. . . and won, maybe. . .

04-09-2008, 02:15 AM   #23
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

THERE IS ONLY 1 WAY TO SETTLE THIS!

I'll meet you up with my CBR600 (which is a bit slower than the G6) and we'll put this to the test should be fun.

Give me a week or so to change up my chain and sprockets after the long winter storage.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 02:32 AM   #24
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
THERE IS ONLY 1 WAY TO SETTLE THIS!

I'll meet you up with my CBR600 (which is a bit slower than the G6) and we'll put this to the test should be fun.

Give me a week or so to change up my chain and sprockets after the long winter storage.
Im down! But, my video of me v.s my friend on his gixxer 600 will show you guys what kind of driver he is based on his shifting points and what not, and I'll have this video posted before your ready to meet up. So after you view my video, see if your either similar to his riding style, or better. If your better, then we'll meet up, because riverside and OC are kinda far, so I want it to count.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 03:44 AM   #25
E(@M#
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94' corolla

dude....are you kidding me......a gsx-r?

you trap a 110......a gsx-r traps 125+.....you do the math........or, then again, your 335i at 3750 lbs has the 60-130mph of a fucking bugatti
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #26
spanishooligan
Crazy red bimmer
Spain
Rep
Drives: 320d e90 japanrot

Garage List
2006 E90 320d  [0.00]

Sig by Nikki
Japanrot 320d
18x8'5 m6 replicas
COOL GAME---->http://spanishooligan.mybrute.com
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #27
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5 View Post
what year gsxr is it...1980? I had an '04 gsxr750 (1st gear took me to 80mph), and my best friend had the 600, and unless your 335 can hit the 1/4 in 11sec, there is no way that you could have beat the 600 against someone that knows how to ride, sorry.
That's not entirely true. Notice in the OP he said from a roll. The bike will KILL almost any car from a standing start, as the car will just go up in smoke and lose traction. From a roll, the bike loses a large part of it's advantage, which is the launch.

That said, I still think the bike should have won.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #28
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

I told my friend that he must be doing something wrong or whatever. He said, "theres nothing to do wrong, you just pin the throttle and shift. . . I even waited till 15k RPM's before I shifted each time."

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #29
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

I know the math doesn't add up when gixxer 600's do 10's- 10.5's in the 1/4 mile at over 120 mph, versus the best 335 that's done like what? . . . 11.something at like 112-118?

So honestly, I dont know whats up. But like I keep saying, just wait for my video and then see what he must be doing wrong, or whatever.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #30
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
You just need to get a crazy driver on the bike that knows it well enough or isn't scared to give it (close to) full throttle.

I bet your buddy is just going easy on it. Having a 750cc Ninja I can say it took me a long time before I felt comfortable going 100% throttle (and I even have a 4" extended swing arm and lowering plates!)

Having said that... I know the bike should win from and to any speed... especially a gsx-r.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #31
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I have no doubt that you are telling the truth and possibly did beat him to the 1/4 mile. The only other possible explination is that your buddy is not really good at taking off the line. The bike does not pick up any power until about 6k RMP and should go to about 14,000rpm...shifting fast between gears is the easy part.

Does he just gently engage the clutch when starting, or does he let it slip a bit, then pop it out (along w/ the front wheel). All this could be the difference between a 13 sec 1/4 and 10.5sec 1/4... This should be an awsome video

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #32
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5 View Post
I have no doubt that you are telling the truth and possibly did beat him to the 1/4 mile. The only other possible explination is that your buddy is not really good at taking off the line. The bike does not pick up any power until about 6k RMP and should go to about 14,000rpm...shifting fast between gears is the easy part.

Does he just gently engage the clutch when starting, or does he let it slip a bit, then pop it out (along w/ the front wheel). All this could be the difference between a 13 sec 1/4 and 10.5sec 1/4... This should be an awsome video
+1

I believe you Boost (know you wouldn't waste time lying), but I think that it could be your bud's skill that's holding him back.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #33
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I'm not doubting Boost either - no reason to make this up. I think maybe his friends bike is way out of tune. Those motors need a little more attention than the average BMW. They're a little, shall we say....high strung?

BTW, your friend isn't some 600lb sumo wrestler is he? That could explain it

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #34
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I'm not doubting Boost either - no reason to make this up. I think maybe his friends bike is way out of tune. Those motors need a little more attention than the average BMW. They're a little, shall we say....high strung?

BTW, your friend isn't some 600lb sumo wrestler is he? That could explain it
Well, its been sitting around for a few months and just got new tires put on it that aren't supposed to be driven hard on until they've got a good worn in contact patch, which usually sets in after about 100 miles I guess. He's put about 50-60 miles on since the new tires, and as far he knows, everything is running fine. He's not a 600lbs sumo wrestler haha, he's a 160-170lbs kick boxer

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #35
mklimis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Italian and German

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
Friend of mine wanted to go for a little 20-30 minute cruise since we always talk about how fun it'd be since my car could probably keep up.

We did two runs from 1st gear rolls. Both times we ran until about 110-120 and we were about dead even until I hit 3 and 4th gears and started pulling a bit.

He said normally he beats people by the time he hits 8k RPM's, but that this time just to keep up he had to rev to 15k RPM in between his shifts, but was afraid to go up past 16k RPM's. We were both pretty impressed at the results, and he's a good bike rider (in all honesty he is, I'm not trying to just talk him up). I need to dyno my car. . . I'm curious to see where I'm at.
Sorry man but your buddy is scared of his bike, he is taking his sweet time opening the throttle. How about filming the race from his point of view with the camera on the tank and from the car as well?

"Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise."
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #36
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
boost...do you have any current videos of your ride....?
so we can at least see it in action
      04-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #37
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

yeah, on my bike, being a '07 Triumph 675 I get 1/4 times in the high 10 second range. How you can beat that guy on his GSXR600 sure blows me away. I've beaten every Lambo & Ferrari I've raced againest on my bike. How you've beaten one with your car is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #38
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
yeah, on my bike, being a '07 Triumph 675 I get 1/4 times in the high 10 second range. How you can beat that guy on his GSXR600 sure blows me away. I've beaten every Lambo & Ferrari I've raced againest on my bike. How you've beaten one with your car is beyond me.
Has to be my friend not jamming the throttle as much as possible or something. Because yes, I know that in the hands of an experienced rider, the 600cc bike should win. So what's the percentage of riders who are, or claim to be, experienced enough to really go full throttle? I just figured since he's out run police cruisers and even been chased by a ballsy motorcycle cop, that he must be at least experienced enough to engage in a straight line race

I mean, you cant have the balls to flee from cops multiple times (each time he said he was quivering and bone chillingly scared once he actually got home or somewhere safe) if your not an experienced rider, right? And he's not a bull sh*ter, this guy is smart, sharp, and a very good friend of mine. I really do trust him

But you guys could be right, he probably isnt jamming the throttle as much as he could be or something.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #39
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post
boost...do you have any current videos of your ride....?
so we can at least see it in action
Nothing at all man : /

And I've tried to hang with him tonight so we could do this video, but he's busy. So it'll have to wait till tomorrow or the next day.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #40
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklimis View Post
How about filming the race from his point of view with the camera on the tank and from the car as well?
The video will be pretty standard, shot from the perspective of a passenger in my car.

Hopefully in the day time, windows up so all you hear isnt the wind, and with a decent vid cam (not that it matters, since I'll be using photobucket and youtube to upload them, which will cause the quality to suffer anyway), with about 2-3 runs from a first gear roll. Toll roads sound good as far as the location goes

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:15 AM   #41
mklimis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Italian and German

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
The video will be pretty standard, shot from the perspective of a passenger in my car.

Hopefully in the day time, windows up so all you hear isnt the wind, and with a decent vid cam (not that it matters, since I'll be using photobucket and youtube to upload them, which will cause the quality to suffer anyway), with about 2-3 runs from a first gear roll. Toll roads sound good as far as the location goes
As long as the audio quality stays up we are in business

Boost just to give you a rough idea of how quickly he should be moving, check out some youtube videos or streetfire.

Here's one against an Evo. Guy gets a huge start and the guy on the bike catches up pretty quick and takes off.

"Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise."
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #42
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklimis View Post
As long as the audio quality stays up we are in business

Boost just to give you a rough idea of how quickly he should be moving, check out some youtube videos or streetfire.

Here's one against an Evo. Guy gets a huge start and the guy on the bike catches up pretty quick and takes off.

Should definitely be able to hear the bike screaming next to me, so that wont be an issue. But yea, I'm just waiting to see what this video reveals about my friend's bike riding, because we already know that a 600 should kill me, so I just want to see why this bike/rider just stays even with me

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #43
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

beat a 600 Gixxer?

Nah.

Doesn't sound right.

That Gixxer should walk you all day, especially an 08 Gixxer.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #44
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

you've got some 'cred around here so i don't think you're making it up, but i can tell you if that's the case, then your friend can't ride for shiet... and i don't doubt your 335 is fast, but i've absolutely, completely, DESTROYED a couple of ferrari F430's, M6 and M5 (at the same time, man i wish i got that on video... i came across the two of them playing around, and we all ended up racing up sunset from PCH) you name it (besides a veyron) i've seen it, come across it, and if it was exotic enough for me to risk getting hauled off to jail, i took 'em for a walk...

i can hit just shy of 80MPH in FIRST GEAR... there is no way a 335 is keeping up or take out a crotchrocket...
Appreciate 0