E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Error Code Assistance

09-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
KeepRidingDirty
Professional Monkey Trainer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Error Code Assistance

Hey all, I've been getting a Check engine light every now and then. I'll clear it and it'll pop back up. Usually happens when idling.

a week ago I got a bad misfire so I changed all Spark Plugs and Coils. I also walnut blasted the intake myself, But still misfired. Then it started shooting gas out the tail pipe. Took all the plugs out and cylinder 2 plug was clean and smelt of wet gasoline. Figured out it was the injector. I just happened to have a few lying around so I put it in and coded it and it runs good, but now I get a codes 29E1 which is a mixture control code (no idea what that means) and codes 29F4 and 29F5 (which are increased emission codes after pre cats). I have a hard time believing that the cats in both banks would go together and I believe its some how related to the mixture control code. Anybody have experience with these codes?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
KeepRidingDirty
Canada
Rep

No One?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Looks like you know why around your car very well.

Just curious.... What code were you getting that gave your the cel?
Also, what are you using to scan the codes?

DN
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
KeepRidingDirty
Canada
Rep

Error Codes are 29E1 which is a mixture control code (Bmw's version) OBD code is P0175 Which is running rich bank 2. The other two codes are 29F4 and 2975 or OBD codes P0430 and P0420 which are codes for Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold on banks 1 and 2. Not sure why just one bank would be running rich and not the other. Checked my plugs and none seem to be running rich. Also what are the chances both Cat's go at the same time?

As for your question, on what I'm using to scan, I have a cheap OBD2 codes reader from Canadian Tire, which gave me the P codes, and I have a JB4 and INPA cable (I prefer the INPA to diagnose).
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Did you try swapping plug and coil to a known good location.

Ie: if 3 is running rich.
Then take out coil and plug, put coil in 1, and plug in 2 and take the good ones and put them in 3.

If the problem follows.... Well
You will know what.

If it stays.... Then last test to swap injectors from 3 to 1.
See what the results are.

I don't mod, but try stock map to see if different results.

Question: any chance you ran an injector cleaner like Chevron Techron concentrate or BG44k?

DN
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
KeepRidingDirty
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Did you try swapping plug and coil to a known good location.

Ie: if 3 is running rich.
Then take out coil and plug, put coil in 1, and plug in 2 and take the good ones and put them in 3.

If the problem follows.... Well
You will know what.

If it stays.... Then last test to swap injectors from 3 to 1.
See what the results are.

I don't mod, but try stock map to see if different results.

Question: any chance you ran an injector cleaner like Chevron Techron concentrate or BG44k?

DN

All plugs and coils are brand spanking new. No misfires. Pulled all plugs and they're burning perfectly. None of them show signs of running rich. We don't have techron here in Ontario but I did put in Gumout, which I believe is the same so long as it has PEA. Still no improvement. Cleared the codes 2 days ago, the inefficiency ones didn't show up but the Fuel mixture code popped back up today.
Appreciate 0