E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Ran Out of Fuel - Gas Gauge At 1/4 Tank

01-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #45
Jus123
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i "E90"

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Hey guys! Im having the same problem with the 1/4 of gas shut off.
Has there been any update on this? Also how many miles are you guys getting on a full tank? becuse of this issue I have to track when to fill up by how many miles I drive rather then what the fuel gauge says. Thanks in advance for the feedback
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #46
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus123 View Post
Hey guys! Im having the same problem with the 1/4 of gas shut off.
Has there been any update on this? Also how many miles are you guys getting on a full tank? becuse of this issue I have to track when to fill up by how many miles I drive rather then what the fuel gauge says. Thanks in advance for the feedback
Do you have the inline setup? Something is probably blocking your float. Mine randomly went away after a month so the pump probably shifted to a sport away from the float.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #47
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Thanks for doing the dirty work! I will take the time to look into my issue as soon as I feel motivated to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStang View Post
Do you have the inline setup? Something is probably blocking your float. Mine randomly went away after a month so the pump probably shifted to a sport away from the float.
lol so lazy. glad the problem fixed itself though.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #48
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
lol so lazy. glad the problem fixed itself though.
HAHA I just pulled the pump this weekend and installed the stage 2 pump. Much less headaches that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #49
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushikiary View Post
I have also been having the "sputtering" or "stumbling" as I called it in another thread if you remember responding to it. I've noticed that the stumbling occurs mostly when I'm at full tank or near to it.

What I found on mine is that when I was trying to take the clip off that large vent tube I pulled hard enough to get my hands in there that I pulled the hose off the hat side connector. When I put it back on it didnt seat as well as it was before, but I figured it would be ok.... turned out it wasnt.

I stuck my hand down into the tank and fallowed the tube to the "breather vent" and it seemed to still be connected to that guy just fine, but just to be sure I put a hose clamp on the hat connector to make sure it wouldnt leak anymore. I had to be careful about how I put it on too. The hat connector has 2 stages of "barbs", one big barb, then 2 smaller sets of barbs. I had to make sure I put the hose clamp closer to the connector elbow so the clamp didnt go on top of the large barbs but only the small barbs which then forces the hose to seal by pressure against the large barbs.

Sadly in the process of this I busted the nipple on the fuel feed line and am having to replace the fuel feed line and passenger side hat/filter, so I cant test to see if me blowing the lines out and putting the hose clamp on fixed the issue until parts come in on tuesday.

When I pulled the fuel feed line I saw the white tube you're talking about that goes to the throttle body. I bet under partial throttle when you're at vacuum if your vent lines are filled with some gas that the gas will get sucked into the throttle body through that tube and cause the "stumbling" due to being rich like I am having.... guess it helps clean my valves? lol. But under boost you will never get the problem... explains why no issues at higher throttle %.
Old bump.

What did you do to blow the vent lines out? I'm having stumbling issues and wondering if fuel getting into the vent lines caused this problem. This started after my stage 3 install, immediately after. Can anyone suggest a method to ensure the vent line is clear of fuel. I'm positive the vent line is connected, I've checked it 3 times now.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #50
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I put my mouth on it and blew many many many times. I also disconnected the portion of the system that connects to the throttle body which also let me blow air that way as well. I stopped once I could no longer hear/feel liquid in the lines when I blew, then put a nice SS hose clamp on the thing so it would never happen again.

Since then, no issues.
BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF stepped 5" FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DP's, SPEC stage 3+ and SMFW, PRW stage 3 LPFP, MHD custom E85 tune, solid motor mounts, RB PCV valve, SS brake lines, Prospeed RS683 brake fluid, Strongflex poly bushings, VTT inlets, M3 rear control arms, ECS trailing arms, turbo smart DV's, CP-E PI, VTT HS CP, UUC short shifter, custom solid transfer-case mount, RBTurbo vacuum side OCC, PRW upgraded ignition coils.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #51
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushikiary View Post
I put my mouth on it and blew many many many times. I also disconnected the portion of the system that connects to the throttle body which also let me blow air that way as well. I stopped once I could no longer hear/feel liquid in the lines when I blew, then put a nice SS hose clamp on the thing so it would never happen again.

Since then, no issues.
What's end did you blow into?

I'm the lpfp area, the top hat hose?

The throttle body hose?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #52
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I blew into the part that connects to the LPFP hat, as that's the normal flow direction through there.
BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF stepped 5" FMIC, VRSF CP, VRSF DP's, SPEC stage 3+ and SMFW, PRW stage 3 LPFP, MHD custom E85 tune, solid motor mounts, RB PCV valve, SS brake lines, Prospeed RS683 brake fluid, Strongflex poly bushings, VTT inlets, M3 rear control arms, ECS trailing arms, turbo smart DV's, CP-E PI, VTT HS CP, UUC short shifter, custom solid transfer-case mount, RBTurbo vacuum side OCC, PRW upgraded ignition coils.
Appreciate 0