E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > So I'm heading to Germany!

03-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
kornykidd0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

So I'm heading to Germany!

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice from those on the inside so to speak. I'm going to England with my father in April to visit family for a week and then going to Germany for the following week 4-5days. I'm deadset on hitting up the ring, renting a car from either rent4ring or rentaracecar to do it. I just need to make my reservations.

I really wanted to make it to Munich for the Welt and probably to rent an m5/6 for a day to cruise around in from there but it's kind of a long hike for only a 5 or so day trip. I think as far as we will get is to Stuttgart for the Porsche things and merc things.

So I turn to you guys, hopefully a few locals or people that have done a lot of the good stuff in the ring area- any advice, places, things I really should set out to see and do while in the nurburg/Cologn/Stuttgart area?

Is the ride to Munich worth it? Is a plane to Munich worth squeezing in?

Any ideas where I can rent a good fast car from either for a couple days or the week for a good price to have some fun with and take us everywhere we need to go?

I'm doing my own research but there's really a lot obviously that comes up. 5 or so days isn't a TON of time so I want to make the best of it since I prob won't be back for a good handful of years. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I used to live in Germany. I think you should do the road trip to Munich, especially if you're a BMW fan. If you'd go to Stuttgart, why wouldn't you go to Munich- it is so close! It's a fast drive on the Autobahn.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Bavarian Beast
Too many wagons on the bahn.....
Rep
Drives: LMB 2011 BMW e93

Well, you can only do so much. Are you flying in to Frankfurt? If you want to rent an upper end car for a week you can do it from the airport, but reserve well in advance. DON'T tell the rental company if you plan on driving it on the ring. Better yet, just do a ring taxi ride. What do you really want to see here, just car stuff or other things?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
kornykidd0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Thanks for the input! Honestly I don't even know what I'm looking to do. For me it's mostly car things. The traditional German towns and things would be interesting to see and the scenery but I'm not particularly a huge history buff. Some fantastic beer would be good too but that should be a given in Germany. My goal was for autobahn and the ring (mainly the ring) everything else could be extra. So far though Stuttgart is big on the list for the Porsche and merc museums, and Munich for BMW but that might be a bit much if there's some must see things to see or do between dusseldorf and Stuttgart (I know, big range).

I'm already planning on renting a car from rent4ring to take on track so there won't be a airport rental car going on it. The date I book for my ring time is going to determine whether We fly into Munich or Cologn. I think we're staying out of Frankfurt for cost reasons. Munich could be the nice car rental for a day or whatever, I just don't want to be driving around in a little econobox diesel for the rest of the time. Most rental places at least offer nice 3 or 5series right?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
S65 Underdog
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a functional car.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:24 AM   #6
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Yeah, you can definitely skip Frankfurt!
Appreciate 0