E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Rolex Question?

02-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Rolex Question?

I was looking at Rolex's (just looking cant afford one) and I noticed some will be worth around $15,000 that are just plain and then there ones with diamond all over them and there worth a lot less. Like this one, anyone know why??? Just a bit confused.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-2CT-DIAMON...ht_1398wt_1167
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

"It's Mickey Mouse, mate. Spurious. Not genuine. And it's worth... Fuck-all"
      02-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

I don't know what any of that means?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

fake....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
It all depends on the material the watch is made of, quality of diamonds, etc... Also, that one you are looking at is used. I have two friends that are Gemologists (Graduated from GIA in Cali) and they work in a family owned jewelry store. I get to see all of the cool, expensive things they get before they put them on display. They got in a Rolex that was made of 18K gold. That thing weighted a ton and had a hefty price tag of close to $30K. The other watch they got in was made entirely of white gold. It had two rows of diamonds around the bezel and also had diamonds all in the band. It was one of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen. Ready for the price? $65K. Yup. I was holding $100K in my hands, so I set them down nicely and proceded to walk out the story depressed. No, lol just kidding. But I was amazed by those two watches.

I found a pic of the white gold watch with diamonds.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

AMAZING watch!!

I highly doubt there fakes there's a lot on ebay like that from people with 100% feedbacks that run a store. Like this guy who has custom ones
http://shop.ebay.com/melrosediamonds...&_trksid=p4340
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:49 AM   #7
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
fake....
It's actually not fake. Ebay keeps an eye out for fake Rolexs. If you get caught trying to sell a fake one as a real one, Rolex will actually fine you. It's pretty crazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:51 AM   #8
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
AMAZING watch!!

I highly doubt there fakes there's a lot on ebay like that from people with 100% feedbacks that run a store. Like this guy who has custom ones
http://shop.ebay.com/melrosediamonds...&_trksid=p4340
Exactly. A lot of Rolex watches are sold used, so that's why they have a cheaper price tag.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #9
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
I was looking at Rolex's (just looking cant afford one) and I noticed some will be worth around $15,000 that are just plain and then there ones with diamond all over them and there worth a lot less. Like this one, anyone know why??? Just a bit confused.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-2CT-DIAMON...ht_1398wt_1167
there's still 20 hours of bidding left. you won't get reasonably close to it's actual value until the last few minutes of the bidding.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 02:06 AM   #10
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
It's actually not fake. Ebay keeps an eye out for fake Rolexs. If you get caught trying to sell a fake one as a real one, Rolex will actually fine you. It's pretty crazy.
lol. ebay has no way of telling a fake apart from the real deal, save buyer feedback. the only way to determine if the watch is fake if it's a halfway decent knockoff is by visual inspection, up close, and in person. the thought of rolex fining someone for selling a fake is a joke. what happens if you don't pay the fine? they send you chocolate? they throw you in their diamond studded rolex corporate jail cell?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #11
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
lol. ebay has no way of telling a fake apart from the real deal, save buyer feedback. the only way to determine if the watch is fake if it's a halfway decent knockoff is by visual inspection, up close, and in person. the thought of rolex fining someone for selling a fake is a joke. what happens if you don't pay the fine? they send you chocolate? they throw you in their diamond studded rolex corporate jail cell?
haha funnyy, but I've seen his others sell for only 3-5k, which is still WAY out of my price range but good to know!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 02:22 AM   #12
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Rolex controls who sells their product and where their product is sold. Every authentic Rolex on ebay is used. Rolex only distributes their product to specific retailers. For example, my buddy is the only store in their specific city that has the rights to sell Rolex watches. Rolex knows where every watch they make goes to. When you buy a brand new Rolex, you fill out paperwork and it is registered in your name. So they know every person that owns an authentic Rolex. If you try to sell knockoff Rolex watches on ebay as new, obviously Rolex can tell that it's not real because they will not distribute to a guy sitting in his basement trying to make a few bucks. If you don't pay the fine, I believe Rolex will take legal actions against the seller.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 03:51 AM   #13
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
Rolex controls who sells their product and where their product is sold. Every authentic Rolex on ebay is used. Rolex only distributes their product to specific retailers. For example, my buddy is the only store in their specific city that has the rights to sell Rolex watches. Rolex knows where every watch they make goes to. When you buy a brand new Rolex, you fill out paperwork and it is registered in your name. So they know every person that owns an authentic Rolex. If you try to sell knockoff Rolex watches on ebay as new, obviously Rolex can tell that it's not real because they will not distribute to a guy sitting in his basement trying to make a few bucks. If you don't pay the fine, I believe Rolex will take legal actions against the seller.
You're being far too idealistic. In the real world there are fakes sold on ebay.

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches...eit.shtml#what

Hell, there are probably people selling fakes on ebay that aren't even aware that their watch was fake. Not every ebay seller of Rolexes (or any other watch for that matter) is an authorized dealer. You're completely ignoring the grey market. Don't get me wrong, you can find authentic watches on the grey market (intact with papers and sometimes even original receipt) for a great price, but you better know exactly what to look for. Buyer beware.

Here, check out these remarks about the latest batch of swiss made replicas:

http://www.replicacenter.com/replica_rolex_grades.htm

Quote:
Swiss replicas are really the only grade that can fool jewelers, because the other grades are too light.
I'm pretty sure that if they can fool jewelers, they can fool someone who thinks they're buying a Rolex on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 04:05 AM   #14
jayely1
Colonel
Rep

Good information!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I don't think that Rolex can do much about the grey market dealers. As long as the watch was purchased in good faith (not stolen) and there is the accompanying paperwork they can't stop the sale. If the grey market "non-authorized" dealer was claiming that he was an authorized dealer then I'm sure there are legal ramifications to that.

Since all Rolex watches are originally only sold to authorized dealers, it is those dealers who stand the most chance of getting into trouble from this exchange. Real authorized dealers have to sign a bunch of paperwork, etc. ensuring that they won't sell watches to other parties at deep discounts. I can understand why Rolex would want to do this, as it would typically just de-value the brand. This is most likely the largest contributing factor to why Rolex's hold their value so well.

As a matter of fact, last year Rolex had a mandatory buy back of all overstocked inventory from all of their ADs to keep them from discounting them. Obviously with as much vested interest as they've got they want to control the market.. just like our friends over at De Beers.

As we all know Rolex's are far from uncommon, but this might help the perspective a bit as to how uncommon. Last year they sent over 900,000 movements to COSC to be certified. Multiplied by the average price (low average price) of $5,000/ea that's 4.5 billion dollars they did last year. What recession..?

Now, Rolex obviously keeps really good records. So they'll know who's watches are ending up in the grey market, etc. My take on it, is that they are letting it happen on purpose. If for no other reason than just to create the hysteria that to purchase a watch that you "know is authentic" you must go to an authorized dealer and pay retail. So what if they loose a few million a year in grey market sales. The scare tactic has netted them quite a bit more. LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
You're being far too idealistic. In the real world there are fakes sold on ebay.

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches...eit.shtml#what

Hell, there are probably people selling fakes on ebay that aren't even aware that their watch was fake. Not every ebay seller of Rolexes (or any other watch for that matter) is an authorized dealer. You're completely ignoring the grey market. Don't get me wrong, you can find authentic watches on the grey market (intact with papers and sometimes even original receipt) for a great price, but you better know exactly what to look for. Buyer beware.

Here, check out these remarks about the latest batch of swiss made replicas:

http://www.replicacenter.com/replica_rolex_grades.htm

I'm pretty sure that if they can fool jewelers, they can fool someone who thinks they're buying a Rolex on the internet.
With out a doubt, there are fakes being sold on ebay. There's no getting around it. In my previous post, all I was trying to say was that Rolex controls who is an authorized dealer. And they control where NEW watches are sold. There aren't any ebayer's that get brand new watches and sell them.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #17
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I don't think that Rolex can do much about the grey market dealers. As long as the watch was purchased in good faith (not stolen) and there is the accompanying paperwork they can't stop the sale. If the grey market "non-authorized" dealer was claiming that he was an authorized dealer then I'm sure there are legal ramifications to that.

Since all Rolex watches are originally only sold to authorized dealers, it is those dealers who stand the most chance of getting into trouble from this exchange. Real authorized dealers have to sign a bunch of paperwork, etc. ensuring that they won't sell watches to other parties at deep discounts. I can understand why Rolex would want to do this, as it would typically just de-value the brand. This is most likely the largest contributing factor to why Rolex's hold their value so well.

As a matter of fact, last year Rolex had a mandatory buy back of all overstocked inventory from all of their ADs to keep them from discounting them. Obviously with as much vested interest as they've got they want to control the market.. just like our friends over at De Beers.

As we all know Rolex's are far from uncommon, but this might help the perspective a bit as to how uncommon. Last year they sent over 900,000 movements to COSC to be certified. Multiplied by the average price (low average price) of $5,000/ea that's 4.5 billion dollars they did last year. What recession..?

Now, Rolex obviously keeps really good records. So they'll know who's watches are ending up in the grey market, etc. My take on it, is that they are letting it happen on purpose. If for no other reason than just to create the hysteria that to purchase a watch that you "know is authentic" you must go to an authorized dealer and pay retail. So what if they loose a few million a year in grey market sales. The scare tactic has netted them quite a bit more. LOL
Never thought of it that way haha. That could be true!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #18
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Dude come on, don't buy a rolex. Be a true gentleman and buy a Bremont or Carl F Bucherer.
      02-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #19
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

The ad itself says aftermarket bracelet, dial and bezel. Rolexes with aftermarket parts are worth almost nothing. If you were to find this exact watch in the exact same condition only with genuine Rolex parts, it would cost around $8k used (maybe more)

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #20
LI E90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90

not to take this off topic or anything, but I bought my first Rolex, a submariner, about 10 years ago, I was in my mid 20's and started to make good money, I thought I needed a big statement on my wrist to let everyone know I was doing well... flash to 10 years later, I hardly wear it anymore, and purposely do not wear it to meet prospective clients, in today's market showing up to a meeting in a $3000 suit and a $4000 watch is not always the greatest idea

Last edited by LI E90; 02-18-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #21
Cosmop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I bought a fake Rolex in NYC when I was in high school for $25. It was a pretty good knock off and worked for about three years. It was a simple stainless steal version and didn't look over the top. It was fun to pimp the watch in HS when everyone though it was real.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #22
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Ebay has people that just go around looking through ads and randomly deciding whats fake and not. They kicked my a** off ebay for 3 months for selling "fake" bags.

They're a-holes. I was helping my mother clean out the basement and sell my stuff on ebay.

Its hard to get good deals on ebay these days, especially on real stuff.
Appreciate 0