E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Warning: Lengthy post, need advice

08-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #45
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Yeah we all hope for that one day, but if you ever dealt with these type of people the one day never comes. Also when you think you got them back, they actually got you back again. These kinds of people do not care.

BTW my Brother-in-law is a Doctor, and has the best bed side manor I seen of any Dr, and really cares about his patients, but, but he does shit like i said and care less what you think.
Man, I'd love to get a bed-side manor one day. How does he fit the damn thing inside of a hospital room
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #46
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
It's not the OP's property, it was a lease. Yes, the friend was a rude walker. But he did not damage the OP's property.
This is true but the OP did pay for the privilege of driving his rental X miles per year. I'm not familiar with how leases work but I want to say there's a flat (or perhaps progressive) penalty per mile for every mile driven above "X" in a given calendar year. There's a potential cost to the OP to have "X" reduced by 2000. Do unused miles "roll over" to the next year? If so, then there's a potential cost to the OP throughout the duration of the lease unless he was planning to drive < (3X - 2000) from the start.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #47
Ben2k9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport

Quote:
It's not the OP's property, it was a lease. Yes, the friend was a rude walker. But he did not damage the OP's property.
It certainly is his property. Someone comes and trashes the apartment you're renting is it not your problem? When you turn a lease in you pay for all damage. There is also always the possibility you planned to buy out the car at the end of lease. Not to mention the mileage cost mentioned above and whatever it cost to return the vehicle back to the state it was in for driving enjoyment for the remainder of the lease term.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #48
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

dbag move on his part. 2000 miles in 3 days is quite impressive for a honeymoon. Overall here is what will happen, you will pay for the repairs, get a detail, send him the bill, he won't pay, and you will never talk to him again.

Then in the middle of the night in about 2-3 months you will pay a visit to his house and take some sand paper to his MK1 TT's rims or the volvo, leave a burning cigarette on the hood, take a few burgers and smear them all over the car, and drill a hole in his gas tank.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #49
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
He jokingly mused that he was thinking of renting an M5 at Hertz for him and his wife's honeymoon to Santa Barbara in 2 weeks. I told him Hertz was overpriced...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post

3. I would never contact that fool again. Maybe he purposely calculated that you have a M5 pictured on FB or any other social media, and approached you. Who knows.
I'm surprised nobody picked up on this. 10 years pass and he ask YOU to be his best man.

Let's really think about this. 10 YEARS later + social media + the nice guy you are = Free M5 rental for the weekend.

He looked you up on FB or IG. Saw how well you are doing and devised a plan using your emotions against you.

Hertz charges $375 per day for their M5.

http://hertzdreamcars.com/vehicles/bmw-m5-sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #50
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory View Post
Jesus christ he sounds like a scum bag. Fix your car, idgaf if he is your bro. He better pay for it. Very worrying for someone to be that blatantly irresponsible entering parenthood.
Brought in the car earlier to fix the wheels. Also ordered a set of new rear tires. I'll probably just buy a front lip to cover the scrape. I've been doing some thinking, definitely not gonna make him pay. I just need more cautious discretion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetrius Joel View Post
Honestly you have every right to be mad. But I think you should be more mad at yourself. You can never lend your car to someone and expect them to treat it the way you would. Especially after not seeing this buy for what ten years. People change. If it were me I wouldn't even ask him to fix it. I would take care of it myself and feed him with a long spoon. Pretty much a friendship killer right there for me.
Lesson learned. If you do something considerate for me or pull any strings, I tend to trust you. Bit me in the ass this time around. I'm paying the price, I absolutely won't pin this on my "friend". Doesn't mean I won't still be generous around those I care about, just not lending my car anymore lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Consider it a small price for him saving your ass on that calculus final.

But in all seriousness, fix the damages, send him the bill, give him a time limit to pay it, if he doesn't, speak to an attorney. Bros don't royally fuck up their bro's car.
Having damages fixed to the wheels. I won't pursue his $$, I'll let him and his wife live their life and I'll go on with mine. If they want to, in good conscience, pay me back, sure. Doubt it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Boy I actually read all of that and thought it was one of the better bromance stories in recent memory. Anyhow, I am sure you have now learned one of the most important lessons in life: never loan your car or money to a friend or family member. You never know what could happen and it is always, always tough to bring up any issues related to money with people you know or consider close to you.

I feel that you offered your car to him as a spur of the moment thing. We have all had that high where you feel like you are just being a good friend and that you would do anything for your friends. When this happens we should all take a step back and reassess the situation. Don't let that high and spur of the moment get to us because we usually makebad decisions that way.

Anyhow, the damages didn't sound that bad so just fix it. If anything chalk it up as a lesson well learned. It could have been worse.
Thanks. Yes, made the decision on a whim. The couple of beers probably clouded my otherwise astute judgement. Damages aren't horrendous so I've already sucked it up and paid for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus037 View Post
as others have stated, you sort of asked for this. people say one thing but do another when you arent around. Been there, done that. I would never have let someone drive my M5 without being in the passenger seat. With a powerful car like that you know the person is going to want to see how it performs. You should have just rented a Chevy Malibu for him instead lol.
I've come to realize this. We all get tempted. I'm an idiot for making an exception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
When does your lease ends?
November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Well, you owed him big time for helping you take the final didn't you?
Just curious, what would have been the consequences if you didn't show up?
Him doing that for you without asking first is extremely risky for you - you could have been accused of cheating - not quite the gift it may have seemed then.
Seems like Kian likes to live his life in the fast lane.
Consequences? Would've killed my GPA, which was a factor in how I got an internship. He likes surprising people, and sure enough, is still surprising me a decade later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
This thread is pathetic. Go get your M5 detailed and be on with your life.
Duly noted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
If you haven't seen him in 10 years then I would not have done that. Sometimes being the nice guy doesn't work out. And this guy was a dick for treating your car like a stolen one. Go to Son Tran to fix your rims, fix the car yourself, erase his phone number, and chalk this up to a lesson learned. Or hire some dudes to be wedding crashers and make his wedding a night to remember.
Hindsight is always 20/20. Only now do I see how reckless it was of me to do such a thing! Wedding is over, but I like that idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
At least the car wasn't totaled!
Yes, this is very true. Glass half full
Quote:
Yeah you should be mad, but true, it's a lease so it's not your loss. From your story your friend sounds like a decent guy, he just doesn't respect cars. Live and learn. Some folks just don't have empathy or consideration. If he's your true friend let it go but don't liana him a car again. If you owned this car, would you have let him borrow it? If the answer us yes, you got bum f******. If no, just live and learn and let it go....
It did not cross my mind once that I leased the car vs owned it. Would've loaned it either way. He was a decent guy, just not a car guy.
Quote:
I'm wondering if because it' said lease op loaned it? I don't even like to loan my 98 Nissan to anyone. They see it as a beater, I see it as the reason I can keep my 335 miles lower. And I treat it like it's my baby.
I briefly mentioned I leased it, but it was just a passing remark. Now you have me thinking if that's why he was so careless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
1. Calculus on graduating year. Lucky you.
This guy took an exam for you. I would not do that to my best friend, nor even my family member.

2. I would not lend him my vehicle, but it is already done.
I would just take the loss, and be a even-Steven for exam he took.

3. I would never contact that fool again. Maybe he purposely calculated that you have a M5 pictured on FB or any other social media, and approached you. Who knows.
No, I never posted pics of my car on any form of social media (except here). When I showed him the car, it was the first time he saw it. And he never once asked to borrow my car. My dumb ass insisted. True, I guess we are even.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
OP sounds like a really nice guy and sometimes people just take advantage of that.

On another note, sounds like a very classy honeymoon involving cheap candy bars and fast food.
It was hilarious and tragic at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuphdc View Post
he's not your friend. you and your car are clearly not a priority.
Yup..All contact cut with him. If he wants to approach me or apologize, he knows my address and he can do it like a man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
What a shit bag of a friend. Hope you don't find any used condoms in the back seat...
Second thought I would run a black light over the interior of the car...

I would never contact that person again. He's already been dodging calls. Chalk it up to a bad life experience and move on.

The fact that you were kind and generous enough to do such a thing, and this person showed no respect to you or your property says a lot about his lack of character.
Great idea, I am skeptical lol. Agreed, I did not have to pay a hefty price for this lesson, so I am thankful for that. Just really disappointed in him and myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Take it as a life lesson and move on. He saved your ass once and you owe him. Consider that a pay back and maybe downgrade this person on the friendship level. Did he fuck up your ride? Maybe, but in less than a week, you can have it back like the condition you gave it to him in. At least he didn't get into an accident, kill/injure someone and put the blame on you.

My closer friends and I switch cars from time to time. Its kind of expected that we'll test the limits or else what's the point. We won't go as far as smoking and getting it real dirty but premium gas is a minimal. Cars are cars and they should be driven a certain way. Its not like you are lending you wife or gf over for your buddies to gang bang for the weekend.

At the end of the day, its just a car...and a lease. If you're rattled about little things like this, you must be living a pretty smooth life to be able to lease a new M5. Chalk it up and pay the bill, I'm sure you can afford it. Just don't invest in this friend anymore.

Talk about FWP.
Thanks for the input. I've already let it go. Very liberating to stop giving a damn and just do things on your own terms. Not gonna wait for a check from him and his wife. He is just an acquaintance to me now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
And then two weeks later, OP gets a call from the FBI...
LOL!! I just hope I don't receive any parking citations I didn't know about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I'm sorry, but if there is one thing I have learned in this world, don't trust ANYONE with ANYTHING of yours, no matter how close you may have been.

My so called best friend since I was a youngster fucked me over before I left Michigan. It wasn't a huge amount of money, but it was decent enough. Ended up ghosting out, I tried to reach out to him a few times, and then by the end told him he is better off being a piece of shit on his own, I've reached out and done nothing but good for him, to get screwed over.

I hope you learn this as a lesson for the future. If it's something you value enough, you might want to consider the extreme of if you can live your life without it, or it being destroyed with no chance of getting it fixed outside of your own pockets.
Sorry to hear about that. We both learned the hard way. When some people gain the upper hand, they forget who got them there. What a shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbahnz View Post
A general contractor said something similar to me. He's gonna pay. Not today, not tomorrow , but one day.
Absolutely. I'm sure he has a conscience, I know him. He knows I'm upset. Let's see if he actually coughs up the bills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90inAZ View Post
^^THIS

I don't even know you, and that is how I would treat your M5. This is EXTREMELY disrespectful what he did and how he treated your personal property.

If he is ducking you, just take it as a learning experience and move on. He wasn't a true friend to you in the end.
Yes sir. True colors came out in a big way. I was expecting a normal jab, but he gave me an uppercut!
Quote:
Exactly, op and probably the groom both know the car is a lease to begin with. Even bmwfs doesn't care as long as they get it back according to the terms.
Yeah, basically return the car in stock form.
Quote:
This reminded me of when I had a Porsche. I swapped with my friend who had a Saab for a week. A bit unequal of a swap, but my friend treated my car as if it were his own, as did I. But both vehicles were financed not leased.
You are brave. I would never agree to live without my car for a week. Especially not now after seeing what can be done in 3 days haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
My dad once told me there are three things you do not lend to your friend:
Wife
Car
Camera

To OP
Just look at this as a lesson to yourself how 'good' your 'friend' is to you. Thank god the car is leased since you damn well know those are 2,000 hard miles.
Your dad is wise. I can't add to or subtract from that list. I know those were 2000 hard miles. Good thing I never showed him how to use launch control.
Quote:
In my lifetime I find people to be loosey goosey with cars, ignoring the liability component of it. Especially with loaners/rentals.

With a rental, the only person who can drive it is your spouse, without being listed as an add'l driver. If you have a corporate rental that's different. But I've seen people give the keys to a rental to someone else like it ain't no thang, because it's not theirs. Again, I suspect the op did what he did because it's a lease, and would not have done the same if he owned.
Actually, I would've loaned it either way. I treat the car like I own it, drive it with the utmost respect and generally give a damn. I had a moment of impaired judgement and it got the best of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben2k9 View Post
First off, I'd write the guy off as a friend forever. Clearly a complete loser.

Second, file a small claims lawsuit against the damages if he doesn't pay up asap.

The bottom line is the guy damaged your property, why should you have to pay for it?
Not gonna turn this into a nightmare! I don't wanna blow this out of proportion. It was equally my fault for lending the car. Thanks though, I see where you are coming from. If I was hot headed, I'd definitely go the extra mile and do what you just said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I'm slammed at work, but I really enjoyed reading the story. NICE! I would definitely write this one off as a "lesson learned". He's already written off as a friend for disrespecting your property like that. It was nice of you to offer him the car, but in retrospect, it was very stupid. You had not seen this guy in a decade. He's NOT the same person he used to be. Sure, it's just a lease, but it should not matter. Can you put a dollar amount on the damage caused? If so, send him the bill for the repairs. If he refuses to pay, it'll have to come out of your own pocket. Not much else you can do.
Thank you for reading. I was exceedingly stupid. I'm not gonna ask for his money though. He's had to pay for his wedding and they have a child on the way. I'll happily take whatever he gives me. As for dollar amount, I'll have to say, tires aside, $1100.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #51
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post

On another note, sounds like a very classy honeymoon involving cheap candy bars and fast food.
Honeymoon? I wouldn't be surprised if this shady clown used the car to run drugs from Mexico. 2000k miles in 3 days AND have the stones to return it in shambles?????
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #52
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
First, I know you thought it was cool he took your test for you, however, right then and there you should have know what kind of person he was. It was not about watching your back but more about pay back later which is exactly what you got.

Next, and this is something my brother-in-law say when he screws someone over like your friend did to you. He will say right to the person face, "Face it you fuck up, you trusted me."

In other words, it is your fault for trusting the guy, and he just does not have the guts to tell it to your face.

BTW, I watch my bother-in-law say that to a guy after my brother-in-law and his brother swamped the guys boat, lost his fishing gear and got water in the outboard motor, after the guy loaned his the boat for the day.
Nail on the head. Really captures the situation. I think my friend knows he fucked up because he is avoiding all contact lol. Oh well, learned my lesson and I'm moving on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben2k9 View Post
It certainly is his property. Someone comes and trashes the apartment you're renting is it not your problem? When you turn a lease in you pay for all damage. There is also always the possibility you planned to buy out the car at the end of lease. Not to mention the mileage cost mentioned above and whatever it cost to return the vehicle back to the state it was in for driving enjoyment for the remainder of the lease term.
Yes not sure how it works with leases. Definitely have to pay for damages. I don't think the car is my property, but I'm still liable for any damages done to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrder View Post
dbag move on his part. 2000 miles in 3 days is quite impressive for a honeymoon. Overall here is what will happen, you will pay for the repairs, get a detail, send him the bill, he won't pay, and you will never talk to him again.

Then in the middle of the night in about 2-3 months you will pay a visit to his house and take some sand paper to his MK1 TT's rims or the volvo, leave a burning cigarette on the hood, take a few burgers and smear them all over the car, and drill a hole in his gas tank.
LOL. Reparations mother f*cker!! JK. I would never do that, though I know a few people who would definitely go that far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I'm surprised nobody picked up on this. 10 years pass and he ask YOU to be his best man.

Let's really think about this. 10 YEARS later + social media + the nice guy you are = Free M5 rental for the weekend.

He looked you up on FB or IG. Saw how well you are doing and devised a plan using your emotions against you.

Hertz charges $375 per day for their M5.

http://hertzdreamcars.com/vehicles/bmw-m5-sedan
If he calculated that, I applaud him. Cause he seemed adamant in not wanting to borrow my car. AFAIK, my car is not on any social media except here. Hertz is cheaper than I thought. With the gas he spent on my car over 2000 miles, he probably could've afforded their M5 lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #53
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
#1 Pet Peeve of mine, NEVER EVER lend anybody money or things you care about.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #54
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

post this up on reddit under TIFU and reap some karma(fake internet points) to help your sadness.
Appreciate 0