E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > What am I missing from my workout?

11-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #45
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

What also helps is throwing punches (shadow boxing).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #46
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
Ok I have established that squats are not doable anymore. Did my typical free-weight 135lb 10 rep x 3 set and the thing that is the most sore is my fucken shoulder.

Anything that is going to put sudden trauma on my body is a no go for the workout, I'm thinking whatever it is going to be it has to be something that is slow repetition.

Dead lifts, cleans, squats... anything of that nature is a no go. It may make a healthy body stronger but there is nothing strong about a guy with a blown shoulder. I can do push ups and light bench, prob decline but nothing incline. Flys are out too...
get a 80 pound dumbell hold it between your legs and squat. back straight, chest up. rep 15-25 per set.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #47
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
What also helps is throwing punches (shadow boxing).
this is ridiculous! I did it on the wiifit, has a "boxing" training.

The trainer punches ridiculously slow, but I throw em as fast as I can with as much effort, and at the end of the exercise, I am exhausted!

for those that skip legs
p.s. running = cardio

legs should be separate.

I've heard to do cardio everday and workout every other day (for full body workouts)

-do cardio first, then workout?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #48
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
From what I see, you're lacking shoulders.

I usually make shoulders a day on its own.

Also legs are important.
My shoulders are fucked up... is no one else seeing where I typed that ten times?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #49
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
ur missing a lot of cardio and a lot of iron balls training
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #50
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok I have established that squats are not doable anymore. Did my typical free-weight 135lb 10 rep x 3 set and the thing that is the most sore is my fucken shoulder.

Anything that is going to put sudden trauma on my body is a no go for the workout, I'm thinking whatever it is going to be it has to be something that is slow repetition.

Dead lifts, cleans, squats... anything of that nature is a no go. It may make a healthy body stronger but there is nothing strong about a guy with a blown shoulder. I can do push ups and light bench, prob decline but nothing incline. Flys are out too...
Have you tried the machines?

And do walking lunges, or in place by holding dumbbells at your side.

From what it sounds like you really need rehab on your shoulder. See what your parents insurance will cover and look into it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #51
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post

The trainer punches ridiculously slow, but I throw em as fast as I can with as much effort, and at the end of the exercise, I am exhausted!

for those that skip legs
p.s. running = cardio

legs should be separate.

I've heard to do cardio everday and workout every other day (for full body workouts)

I'm not talking about the Wii Fit. If you're training in any type of martial arts, you'll know that you're suppose to use your shoulders to punch. Doing it repetitively will develop your shoulders in time.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #52
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My shoulders are fucked up... is no one else seeing where I typed that ten times?

I saw that after I typed it and recommended something else.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #53
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:

I messed up my shoulders when I was stationed in Hawaii. Stick to machines till they get stronger.
      11-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #54
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
What is your goal? Health, strength, looks...because I don't see where you need to change anything...what are you unhappy with currently...

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #55
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
What is your goal? Health, strength, looks...because I don't see where you need to change anything...what are you unhappy with currently...
The workout is very good at maintaining a standing, but it's starting to just get boring. It's plenty if I run AND do abs in the same day but alone it isn't
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #56
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post

for those that skip legs
p.s. running = cardio

legs should be separate.

workout then cardio. unless your cardio is walking or jogging warmup that doesn't exceed 10 minutes.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #57
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
The workout is very good at maintaining a standing, but it's starting to just get boring. It's plenty if I run AND do abs in the same day but alone it isn't

Depending on your level of experience and how often you workout, you should change your routine every 3-4 weeks.

It's hard to just give advice because there are so many variables and if you don't have a particular goal, that makes it even harder.

For maintenance, 3 days per week of resistance training is good for most people, assuming you do a 3 day split which means 2-3 body parts per workout. How you incorporate these body parts into your individual workout matters much less than most people think, especially if you aren't a professional. You should also add at least 3 days of cardio per week. Cardio will have to get the same treatment as your resistance training when it comes to how often you change your routine.

How much cardio is also a complicated issue because besides your direct goal, your nutrition is very important. Why? Because if, for example, you want to stay lean, but like to eat all kinds of "goodies" then you must do more than 3 days of cardio per week to achieve caloric balance. Makes sense, right?

Myself, I can get away with 3 days of cardio per week + basic resistance training, because my nutrition is excellent (assuming calories in vs calories out but also the Quality of your calories). I don't do more than basic resistance anymore because I'm completely burned out from all the years of bodybuilding. Also acquired a couple of injuries myself.

So, as you can see, a lot of variables and too many scenarios, but it's always a good idea to cover your entire body if your weekly workout routine of resistance training.

Usually, 3 exercises per large muscle group and 2 exercises per small muscle group will do the job if you are taking most of the sets to failure and 8-12 reps per set is also good for the non-professional individual. Don't rest more than 45 sec to 1 minute between sets. Always do cardio AFTER your resistance training. It can be immediately after or hours after. Too much writing to explain why. You can also do one day resistance training, one day cardio and keep alternating.

You can also build your resistance training program in form of a circuit training and can incorporate functional training elements. This is very complex and very beneficial for everybody as you can burn more calories in less time and use a higher volume of exercises. This can also dramatically help with sports performance as functional training uses a lot of core muscles so important in sports. The down side of this is that it takes a large deal of motivation to do by yourself because it is pretty intense and hard. This is what I use with most of my clients and they hate me for it.

If you have an injury, my advice generally is to let it heal completely (in the mean time you can also ice it twice per day for 5 minutes each time, exceptions exist), then slowly and carefully see how it responds to resistance training.
      11-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #58
Laser McCool
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

Some of my favorite Bicep exercises are 21's

They will work multiple parts of your arms at once, and they are wicked effective..

I also like pyramids.. I would suggest doing both of them. I just got back into the gym this week after 3 months because Ive been so busy with work, and I lost 60-80lbs on my chest excersises.. I didnt lose ANY on my arms.. the pyramids and 21's have a lot to do with that I think.. Also Maybe i missed it But are you doing preacher curls? one of the guys at my gym suggested I do preacher curls with the 45lbs straight bar and like a 25 on each side.. It doesnt seem like a lot but it will kill you.. They are a lot of fun.
      11-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #59
Laser McCool
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
legs and lowerback.

squat, lunges, leg press, calf raises, hamstring curl, deadlift, stiff leg deadlift, hyperextensions...
LOL didnt you know.. Legs arent Important anymore LOL

I love it when I see guys come into the gym every week and do the following
Chest
Arms
Back
Shoulders
Chest or Arms

No one works their legs its hilarious.. Ive always been told the rest of your body will grow with your legs.. don tknow if its true But it seems to work for me
      11-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #60
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser McCool View Post
Some of my favorite Bicep exercises are 21's

They will work multiple parts of your arms at once, and they are wicked effective..

I also like pyramids.. I would suggest doing both of them. I just got back into the gym this week after 3 months because Ive been so busy with work, and I lost 60-80lbs on my chest excersises.. I didnt lose ANY on my arms.. the pyramids and 21's have a lot to do with that I think.. Also Maybe i missed it But are you doing preacher curls? one of the guys at my gym suggested I do preacher curls with the 45lbs straight bar and like a 25 on each side.. It doesnt seem like a lot but it will kill you.. They are a lot of fun.
21's can be effective. I use to do them when I first started and did see some decent improvement. I'll occasionally throw in one set of them just for the pump.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #61
Laser McCool
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
21's can be effective. I use to do them when I first started and did see some decent improvement. I'll occasionally throw in one set of them just for the pump.
Its amazing how hard they can be to do.. when I started I think I started with 15 or 20lbs.. I can do them with 35-40 lbs now, but anything over that is more tiring than its worth lol I usually stay between 25-35 lbs on them to keep good form