E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > SpeedTV Loses F1 Broadcast Rights

10-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
superduty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 M Sport

It's a shame that Speed has lost the rights to broadcast F1 in the US. Coverage in the US has improved significantly over the years from back in the day when all we got was tape delay of Monaco on Wide World of Sports. I wouldn't call Speed's coverage perfect but since they've added Qual and FP2 it's much better. And now having streaming access to FP1 and FP3 we were getting all the on track action. I can't see any other network providing as much. I think this change is a significant step backwards.

Bernie has always had a hard on for major US network coverage of his races. Now, it seems, he has his wish and the real fans will probably be worse off for it.
      10-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
i disliked the speed coverage but it wasnt the worst. This is likely going to be on NBC Sports, used to be Versus, hopefully they do a good job and air ALL races LIVE
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
CHEEKSx36
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tiag E46 330ci with 3 pedals

Honestly, this news troubles me and seems like a big step backwards. I've only been watching Formula 1 for 2.5 years now so Speed TV and the gang are all I know. I know it isnt the best but Varsha and Matchett seem very knowledgable. Hobbs also knows his stuff but I cant understand him half the time and usually all I get from him is the 'woooaaa' when drivers get close. I'd hate it if NBC hires hosts who havent been followers prior. I also doubt they are going to show races live and im expecting tons of comercials. As NBC showed me during the Olympics it seems that they dont really care about the viewers, rather, they just want to make money. Who knows, the first few races might get a 'prime time' slot so they can expose it but if it doesnt produce I expect it to become the unwanted child:/ Ohh well, guess were all going to have to wait for the next season andhope for the best!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #26
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

I've read some more on this and NBC is promising to show all the on track action including all practices. But most of this will be on the same cable channels they used for the Olympics. A few races will be shown on NBC proper. We will have to see what the announcing team looks like.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #27
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

My guess would have been Danny Sullivan would be part of the new broadcast team. But he has always worked for ABC/ESPN.

I am at a loss for who they would choose. Hopefully none of the horrific Indycar broadcasters.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #28
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Does this really surprise anyone here? Speed has been the NASCAR network for years and will continue to be so for many, many years to come.

It is a shame that it went to NBC as it will most likely not be on par with any other broadcasts of F1.