E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Stock market tips and experiences

01-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #4797
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
lol, how much money invested to make this 10k? Looks like 100s of thousands.
He has about $545k in it.
      01-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #4798
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena
Quote:
lol, how much money invested to make this 10k? Looks like 100s of thousands.
He has about $545k in it.
Suddenly that doesn't sound so great... if you have a million, its not exactly impossible to make another one... in any industry.
      01-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #4799
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Suddenly that doesn't sound so great... if you have a million, its not exactly impossible to make another one... in any industry.
Exactly!
Some people like the "game" and trying to utilize all their knowledge and education on investments. However, some people really don't care about it, and ONLY purpose is to MAKE A BUCK.

NOTHING WRONG with just looking to make money, because bottom line is, we all are. That said, we post what we have, and plan what to do next and also what we predict what is going to happen here.

In contrast, some people just put "dude.... I made a $250k last week! BRO!"
I mean, I made about ~250%gain on DWTI alone past 2 month (Nov 21ish), and I don't write those "Guess how much % or how much I made!"
Just typing ticker symbol PLUS the date stamp already is ENOUGH to tell people here how much you made or lost!

Currently, I am more embarrassed on -40% loss on AMD right now than decent gains I had on inverse Oil ETF.

One of my favorite was $4000 gain, because I only bought $600 worth of CALL and made $4000. % gain was good. Timing was great. $ was okay relative to how much I invested in.
(If someone has a balls to buy $1/2mil on out-of-money CALL, please go ahead.)

I mainly look at the accuracy of my prediction, timing, and then % of gain before the Dollar figures.

01-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #4800
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
Exactly!
Some people like the "game" and trying to utilize all their knowledge and education on investments. However, some people really don't care about it, and ONLY purpose is to MAKE A BUCK.

NOTHING WRONG with just looking to make money, because bottom line is, we all are. That said, we post what we have, and plan what to do next and also what we predict what is going to happen here.

In contrast, some people just put "dude.... I made a $250k last week! BRO!"
I mean, I made about ~250%gain on DWTI alone past 2 month (Nov 21ish), and I don't write those "Guess how much % or how much I made!"
Just typing ticker symbol PLUS the date stamp already is ENOUGH to tell people here how much you made or lost!

Currently, I am more embarrassed on -40% loss on AMD right now than decent gains I had on inverse Oil ETF.

One of my favorite was $4000 gain, because I only bought $600 worth of CALL and made $4000. % gain was good. Timing was great. $ was okay relative to how much I invested in.
(If someone has a balls to buy $1/2mil on out-of-money CALL, please go ahead.)

I mainly look at the accuracy of my prediction, timing, and then % of gain before the Dollar figures.

so...your comment WAS directed to me then originally. And like last time, you passed it off to me being sensitive or emotional, whatever.

You guys have no idea how my stocks were weighted. Thanks for your assumptions.

I don't get 667% gains, but my top three earners are around 25%, which were responsible for my gain.

And several of my $1,000 investments have gone up to 80% gains. Again, not 667% gain, but hey, risk/reward right

And yes, I never had the opportunity to make $10k so easily and so quickly, regardless of the lump sum investment. So I shared my enthusiasm.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #4801
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

This is a big thread so forgive me but have "we" talked about bandwidth companies yet?
Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #4802
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lmao, big talk and good for you.

Before the stock market, seeing an 8% return on my money, I'd be ecstatic.

and FYI, I had 2 shares of BRK/A which were not faring particularly well. A more accurate portrayal of the gain would be whatever your estimate of my portfolio was minus 2 shares of BRK/A.

lastly, of course it's easier to make money when you have money. I guess I just thought most on here made at least as much as I did annually.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #4803
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly!
Good for you. I've met and heard dozens like you.

When I started my businesses, the same nay-sayers told me that unlike me they cared about their craft and it's not just about the numbers. They told me that I would see 3 years down the road and know it's not that easy. cry cry cry

When I went into real estate to preserve and grow wealth, new nay-sayers told me I couldn't treat properties like commodities to be traded. It didn't work like that they said. They said I would learn my valuable lessons down the road.

I was playing Destiny. Yes, I'm using a video game as an analogy! I used its broken mechanics to shortcut through the bosses. Same whiners and crying players calling other players who did this "cheesers" and that they spent hours doing it legitimately. They said once the developer patched the loopholes we would all learn our lessons. Well, there are always new loopholes. And also, all the "cheesers" could it legitimately, they just wanted to save time.

So go ahead and say what you want to rationalize and make yourself feel better. I've heard most already.

And I was correct in my original statement:

Feed me more of your salty tears
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #4804
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Original one NO.
The comment with Inverse ETF Oil was to reply to ASAP. Since he was talking about you, and I commented on that. Fair enough, you can cry about that comment I made with Inver ETF OIL CHART.

Boy, you must be good at putting word on other peoples mouth.
Nay sayer? We don't care you make 50% or -50% here. Maybe your friends nay-sayers cry cry down the road (whatever you want to call it) about your success and/or failure. For us, we don't care!

We are here to share information of what we see short and long run with TA FA Econ, Intl Finance, and Macro perspective.

Obviously, you have a gain. Why even worry or cry on comment(s) about amateur?? Why is your ego defense mechanism on an overdrive/overclock that was not even originally directed at you?

I am about to be done with feeding the trolls now. Good luck with your investment. If it makes you feel superior (or feed your ego), I lost -40% on AMD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn View Post
so...your comment WAS directed to me then originally. And like last time, you passed it off to me being sensitive or emotional, whatever.

You guys have no idea how my stocks were weighted. Thanks for your assumptions.

I don't get 667% gains, but my top three earners are around 25%, which were responsible for my gain.

And several of my $1,000 investments have gone up to 80% gains. Again, not 667% gain, but hey, risk/reward right

And yes, I never had the opportunity to make $10k so easily and so quickly, regardless of the lump sum investment. So I shared my enthusiasm.

Quote:
Good for you. I've met and heard dozens like you.

When I started my businesses, the same nay-sayers told me that unlike me they cared about their craft and it's not just about the numbers. They told me that I would see 3 years down the road and know it's not that easy. cry cry cry

When I went into real estate to preserve and grow wealth, new nay-sayers told me I couldn't treat properties like commodities to be traded. It didn't work like that they said. They said I would learn my valuable lessons down the road.

I was playing Destiny. Yes, I'm using a video game as an analogy! I used its broken mechanics to shortcut through the bosses. Same whiners and crying players calling other players who did this "cheesers" and that they spent hours doing it legitimately. They said once the developer patched the loopholes we would all learn our lessons. Well, there are always new loopholes. And also, all the "cheesers" could it legitimately, they just wanted to save time.

So go ahead and say what you want to rationalize and make yourself feel better. I've heard most already.

And I was correct in my original statement:

Feed me more of your salty tears
      01-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #4805
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Original one NO.
The comment with Inverse ETF Oil was to reply to ASAP. Since he was talking about you, and I commented on that. Fair enough, you can cry about that comment I made with Inver ETF OIL CHART.

Boy, you must be good at putting word on other peoples mouth.
Nay sayer? We don't care you make 50% or -50% here. Maybe your friends nay-sayers cry cry down the road (whatever you want to call it) about your success and/or failure. For us, we don't care!

We are here to share information of what we see short and long run with TA FA Econ, Intl Finance, and Macro perspective.

Obviously, you have a gain. Why even worry or cry on comment(s) about amateur?? Why is your ego defense mechanism on an overdrive/overclock that was not even originally directed at you?

I am about to be done with feeding the trolls now. Good luck with your investment. If it makes you feel superior (or feed your ego), I lost -40% on AMD.
kkk

I'm down 31.53% on YELP. It was one of the first companies I invested in. I just keep it there as a reminder now that euphoria is only temporary.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #4806
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn
great day!

probably small potatoes compared to some other guys but it's cool to make $10k in one day just sitting on my bum
It's a paper gain... You did not make any money. You need to actually sell to realize the profit
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #4807
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

But to make $10K on a $545K porfolio isn't that impressive. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with making $10K in one day, but we're only talking about a 2% gain.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #4808
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The oracle of omaha took my 1 million comment literally... lololol
      01-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #4809
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
But to make $10K on a $545K porfolio isn't that impressive. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with making $10K in one day, but we're only talking about a 2% gain.

ok; i'm used to 8% in one year, 2% in one day is great for me

Quote:
The oracle of omaha took my 1 million comment literally... lololol
never claimed to be saavy or anywhere close, you're just trying to instigate

took literally because of your signature of 918s and P1s
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #4810
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Maybe investor is going on a safer route.

FOR AN EXAMPLE. 2% is awesome gain, when S&P500 is down -2%. b=1
However, if S&P500 had crazy 2.5% gain, and had 2% gain, it is just an okay. Didn't beat the market, but gain is a gain.

Of course, investor has to sell accordingly, depends on their tax bracket and/or capgain/inv income taxes.

Again, this is coming from a guy who lost -40% on a paper on AMD trade.

NOTE: My biggest % gains are from holding a bag for >1yr.
      01-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #4811
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
lmao, big talk and good for you.

Before the stock market, seeing an 8% return on my money, I'd be ecstatic.

and FYI, I had 2 shares of BRK/A which were not faring particularly well. A more accurate portrayal of the gain would be whatever your estimate of my portfolio was minus 2 shares of BRK/A.

lastly, of course it's easier to make money when you have money. I guess I just thought most on here made at least as much as I did annually.
Is 2 shares enough to eliminate the sales load for Berkshire class A shares? I'm assuming you found class A shares more amenable to your situation than class B or C shares, but I've always been curious. I don't have any shares of Brk-A myself but I keep tabs on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #4812
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

guys, lets keep this thread on track...talk stocks, charts, general mkt conditions.

the rest is just taking up space.

on a sad note F1Venom got the boot from e90, so he won't be posting here anymore...he was the only person who kept this thread alive when I took a hiatus...good work F1!

Like I have said for past 3 years, this is a bull mkt in the long term timeframe...we may have sell offs on ST/IT but I see no evidence the bull is over.

Oil down, dollar up, euro down, and metals up still in play.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #4813
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

This isn't my money but I mentioned 6 or 7 months back that my dad enlisted the services of an Edward Jones advisor after a glowing recommendation from his colleague. I figured it'd be interesting to update you all on how she's doing compared to, say, the S&P500, over that 7 month period.

S&P 500: +4.64%
Edward Jones (not including fees): +1.6%
Edward Jones (after advisor fees): -0.8%

So after fees 7 months in she's basically lost him $4k... Granted, my dad specifically told her that he has a very high risk tolerance with this money because it's a little under 10% of his portfolio, and 7 months isn't too long term, but it's fun to keep track of nonetheless.

One caveat is that his adviser chose a lot of dividend-paying stocks like verizon (4.6%), pfizer (3.4%), coca cola (2.8%), XRAY (0.50%), and occidental (3.70%) (bad timing, I know), and I'm not exactly sure what the dividend schedule is for those stocks, so those EJ numbers might bump up a bit once we hit a full year, all else being equal.

She also bought large amounts of the following mutual funds: American Funds Washington Mutual A (AWSHX) (2.47%) and American Funds Europacific Growth A (1.57%). In terms of capital change both have either gone down slightly or roughly stayed the same compared to the S&P500, but the net effect of everything (stocks, municipal bonds, mutual funds) is reflected in those overall numbers I posted.

So not a terrific start for her. And her performance not including fees is totally irrelevant. If she's going to charge an absurd front end sales load on every purchase, she needs to be able to beat the S&P500 by at least that much to make her services worthwhile.

Obviously an ETF that tracks the S&P500 almost always has a small fee of its own, but it's so small that it doesn't change the picture.

Personally I've always been leery about the value that FAs can actually add and this EJ advisor's performance thus far has only corroborated that notion. We'll see how she does 1 year in, 1.5 years in, 2 years in, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 01:47 PM   #4814
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Actually she needs to beat the market by slightly more than her advising fees to make her services worthwhile. Given the way she's partitioned each sub-investment, she's getting a 2.5% front end sales load on much of this money. Assuming the overall fee is 2.5% (it's not, but this is a rough calculation), she'd need to make ([1/(1-.025)] - 1)*100 = 2.56% just to break even.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #4815
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

I sold my AMD position @ 2.76 after buying in @ 2.71. I'll take it. I'll get in at a lower price in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #4816
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I sold my AMD position @ 2.76 after buying in @ 2.71. I'll take it. I'll get in at a lower price in the near future.
I am going to continue to hold the AMD bag till I get even or make $.
Thanks the the buyout speculation, it gained all the losses from this Q's earnings.
      01-28-2015, 01:01 AM   #4817
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I am going to continue to hold the AMD bag till I get even or make $.
Thanks the the buyout speculation, it gained all the losses from this Q's earnings.
Yeah that's understandable. The drop to 2.25 last month scared me a little. I was down nearly 17% at the time so I'm thrilled to have made even a marginal profit thanks to AMD's recent highly speculative mini-run.

By the way I was looking at some of my older posts in this thread and I'm absolutely kicking myself for not jumping on Hershey when I mentioned it. It was near 52 week lows at around $91 or $92 per share several months back (which was my main reason for suggesting it at the time, along with "who doesn't like chocolate?" ). Since then? +20%, not to mention a healthy 2% dividend yield

This is the fatal flaw of a novice investor. Much of my rationale for buying and selling stocks is highly speculative. It's legalized gambling at this point, but it's been a good ride so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #4818
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

anyone else short oil with me?.......why fight it until proven wrong?....still long metals.
Appreciate 0