E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Finally after 3 years...

04-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS

Finally after 3 years...

Of cosmetic modding and going all out in that field, I've decided its time to tune. I've done a lot of research on this forum before choosing the following parts. I want to thank Former Boosted IS for his reviews which really helped me a lot in my decision making.

Got the following ready to be installed by Matt@Cambertoe...

PROcede V5
ETS FMIC - 5"
Stett Chargepipe with forged DV's
Stett Cold Air Intake
AR Design catless downpipes
AR Design Oil Catch Can
Eisenmann Race Exhaust (Authentic)

Any advice or recommendations from the tuners? My main goal is safety and reliability with some decent power. Nothing too crazy.

I don't know anything about tuning or engine management so any advice/tips will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Damn, that's a nice list of upgrades to bee installed at one time. Poor (and slightly patient) people like myself like to upgrade one part at a tine, get used to the power then upgrade again. Secretly, I'm jealous of people that knock it out at once...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Damn you going to really feel a world of a difference especially installing everything at once...That must be a great feeling! I did my mods one at a time so the difference is not going to be like yours thats for sure!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Dynomyte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92

I personally think it is a bad idea to install all the mods at ounce, especially on a 3 year old N54. If your car does not run right from the start, you will waste a lot more time getting it to run right than if you installed them separately from the start. I'm talking based on my experience of course.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Damn, that's a nice list of upgrades to bee installed at one time. Poor (and slightly patient) people like myself like to upgrade one part at a tine, get used to the power then upgrade again. Secretly, I'm jealous of people that knock it out at once...
Haha, I did the same with cosmetic modding. Vorsteiner V-35 hood, Mtech front, rear, M3 sides, wheels/tires, suspension, Vorsteiner CSL trunk, all emblems, grills, painted/installed all at once by M.A.C.. lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Damn you going to really feel a world of a difference especially installing everything at once...That must be a great feeling! I did my mods one at a time so the difference is not going to be like yours thats for sure!
Thanks. Yea, I'm thinking the same. The feeling is going to be exponentially different from completely stock. I gotta get use to the power. I'm a bit nervous to be honest. lol.. don't want to under or over estimate.. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomyte View Post
I personally think it is a bad idea to install all the mods at ounce, especially on a 3 year old N54. If your car does not run right from the start, you will waste a lot more time getting it to run right than if you installed them separately from the start. I'm talking based on my experience of course.
I agree with you, your statement makes sense. However, The car has less than 22k miles on it. Never hard driven or beaten on, runs great. I always take care of the maintenance on time.

Reason I'm installing everything at once is to PREVENT issues from arising. For example, the stock chargepipe popping off under higher boost or the stock DV's prone to leaking. That's why I purchased upgraded CP and DV's to prevent issues. AR design catless downpipes, Eisenmann Race for better flow, upgraded FMIC and intake for better cooling and cooler air intake, catch can to catch excessive oil from circulating.

I did ALOT and ALOT of research prior to just tuning without knowing what supporting mods I'll need in order for the car to run safely and reliably.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

You going to want/need an LSD to put all that power down. Congrats and enjoy!
      04-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherbln View Post
You going to want/need an LSD to put all that power down. Congrats and enjoy!
Yup, I was thinking about that too. That's will be next on my list in the Summer.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

It's gonna feel like you installed a second engine under the hood.
      04-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rasp View Post
It's gonna feel like you installed a second engine under the hood.
haha.. after I get use to this power, RB turbo upgrade next!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
domrep
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT3 iN NyC View Post
Haha, I did the same with cosmetic modding. Vorsteiner V-35 hood, Mtech front, rear, M3 sides, wheels/tires, suspension, Vorsteiner CSL trunk, all emblems, grills, painted/installed all at once by M.A.C.. lol..

Thanks. Yea, I'm thinking the same. The feeling is going to be exponentially different from completely stock. I gotta get use to the power. I'm a bit nervous to be honest. lol.. don't want to under or over estimate.. haha

I agree with you, your statement makes sense. However, The car has less than 22k miles on it. Never hard driven or beaten on, runs great. I always take care of the maintenance on time.

Reason I'm installing everything at once is to PREVENT issues from arising. For example, the stock chargepipe popping off under higher boost or the stock DV's prone to leaking. That's why I purchased upgraded CP and DV's to prevent issues. AR design catless downpipes, Eisenmann Race for better flow, upgraded FMIC and intake for better cooling and cooler air intake, catch can to catch excessive oil from circulating.

I did ALOT and ALOT of research prior to just tuning without knowing what supporting mods I'll need in order for the car to run safely and reliably.

Where did you buy your v-35 hood? Been looking for one in AW forever.

Also, most of the ppl on these forums have all the exact same mods...typical FBO config and you bought from some quality brands so you should be fine. I have the same 07 engine and exact same mods. One thing you should be aware of that may be a negative is your dp and exhaust setup. Going fully catless from stock is going to be a huge change for you both in terms of noise/smell, so just a heads up
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domrep View Post
Where did you buy your v-35 hood? Been looking for one in AW forever.

Also, most of the ppl on these forums have all the exact same mods...typical FBO config and you bought from some quality brands so you should be fine. I have the same 07 engine and exact same mods. One thing you should be aware of that may be a negative is your dp and exhaust setup. Going fully catless from stock is going to be a huge change for you both in terms of noise/smell, so just a heads up
Yup, I got pretty use to the Eisenmann Race already. I read threads regarding the smell. I guess I'll deal with it.. lol.

I got the V-35 hood from JLeviSW about 2 years ago. Try checking the Cosmetic/Exterior FS section periodically. Usually they pop up there once in a blue.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

mo' goodies... enjoy bro!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Nice mod list! Throw in the meth kit and that car will be totally transformed. I reinstalled all my mods on the 335i in a 2 day span (tune, dci, meth, fmic, dps) and it was an amazing difference.
      04-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

You're going to have fun!

I would cancel and replace some of the mods
DVs: no need
Charge pipe: only if you add meth
CAI: lot's of evidence claiming no, or very little gains

I would add:
LSD
Stett oil cooler. 30deg difference in oil temp is huge and I believe plays a big role in maxing performance. this will be one of my next mods.

Your first drive after everything is installed will be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Congrats! Your going to be surprised with the results
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #16
RR80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Wow! You got most of the best tune on your list! Gotta feel a lot difference in terms of power. Did you upgrade your Suspension and tyres? If not, please do it as fast as you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #17
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
mo' goodies... enjoy bro!!!
Thanks Craig. And thanks for you know what....

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Nice mod list! Throw in the meth kit and that car will be totally transformed. I reinstalled all my mods on the 335i in a 2 day span (tune, dci, meth, fmic, dps) and it was an amazing difference.
Yeah, I'm super psyched. Meth, I'll do down the line at some point. Damn, you're lucky you know how to do all that stuff. You probably save tons of $$$ installing and uninstalling. Definitely a good trade to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
You're going to have fun!

I would cancel and replace some of the mods
DVs: no need
Charge pipe: only if you add meth
CAI: lot's of evidence claiming no, or very little gains

I would add:
LSD
Stett oil cooler. 30deg difference in oil temp is huge and I believe plays a big role in maxing performance. this will be one of my next mods.

Your first drive after everything is installed will be awesome.
Thanks! I already have the OEM oil cooler. I've consulted with a few people and they advised that right now, without upgraded turbos, the OEM oil cooler should suffice. I don't track the car at all. I think i should be good. If i do see the temps increase, I'll surely invest in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETS Michael View Post
Congrats! Your going to be surprised with the results
Thanks Mike. The ETS intercooler looks top notch. Significantly larger than the OEM unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR80 View Post
Wow! You got most of the best tune on your list! Gotta feel a lot difference in terms of power. Did you upgrade your Suspension and tyres? If not, please do it as fast as you can.
Yea, I try not to cut corners anywhere when it comes to performance. You get what you pay for. As far as suspension and tires, I've got the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's which have been excellent so far. Even on cold pavement, they feel solid.

For suspension, I have H&R sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks. Had everything installed/aligned by Matt@Cambertoe last year. In the Fall, I'm going to do the complete M3 suspension for added performance and handling.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

+1 on not needing DV or charge pipe. Heck, you don't need a charge pipe for meth either, just an elbow. If you're an unfortunate soul that has a 2010 n54 then you'll probably need a new pipe unless you're cool drilling into the elbow itself. It's all one piece.

The challenge is finding a lift to borrow mostly, the installs themselves are pretty straightforward. The only thing that requires some creativity is a meth kit if it's not a PNP.
      04-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Just add progressive methanol and nitrous and you'll be finished with, 'not too crazy'. As crazy has now become a new tier which is upgraded turbos, cams, head and fuel system.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #20
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
OP, save yourself a lot of money and give up the charge pipe, aftermarket DVs and the oil catch can. You won't really have any benefits from these, I know someone for which they did more harm than good.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT3 iN NyC View Post
Thanks! I already have the OEM oil cooler. I've consulted with a few people and they advised that right now, without upgraded turbos, the OEM oil cooler should suffice. I don't track the car at all. I think i should be good. If i do see the temps increase, I'll surely invest in one.
That was my thought until recently. 30deg is huge. We run at 240 when warm, but with OC 210 if I remember correctly from FB tests. I'm sure everyone loves the time period when the car is warming up... i know i do, around 200deg oil temp... feels much better than when fully warm. I know the coolant temp has a lot to do with this, and unfortunately there's no mods for this yet i think.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #22
E90Vader
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

QQ, Whats the Charge pipe and DV's for?? I know of Downpipes " catless " and exhaust, thats basically a straight pipe exhaust right there is it not?

Sorry OP, didn't mean to steal the thread
Very nice mods! Your car will be a beast and you will love it!!!
Appreciate 0