E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > M3 for college?

06-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #221
LwaLt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EVOX,M4,X2, Model X, Model 3P+

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg_who View Post
alright, I was asking a legitimate question.
Just get the M3, you know you want that more. If you're getting the car for status factor, you might want to look up north in the price range 'cause M3s are like Honda Civics in USC, hell same goes for the C63.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #222
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Fund manager and Investors bring capitals to the market. IT ALSO applies to pharmceutical/biotech/medical sector.
Without investors, there is no medicine from Pfizer, Roche, Eli Lilly, Merck nor Merck Manuals (Medicine/Diagnosis for dummies).
There will be no hospitals without expensive equipments from GE, Siemens, and Zeiss, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I honestly believe that when you're naked in front of a mirror looking at yourself, it's still one of the best professions. Common sense dictates that it's not a good way to get rich--so what? Is there a profession in which one gets rich? Nope, because you're working for someone else.

What I would say about medicine is that it's a real tangible, and needed skill. That mutual fund manager living in the 9 bed / 11.5 bath house with the 5 car garage and Porsches, Ferraris, and summer homes on the Cape and Hyannis, does he really do anything that we need? Nope.

So who is to say which is better? The individual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I appreciate it man. Nah, my dad is a PhD in electrical engineering and works in academia/patent law, and my mom is a housewife.

Yeah I agree completely.

Medicine probably ensures that you'll live a comfortable lifestyle from your mid 30s or early 40s and beyond. There's a delay due to schooling (4 years), residency @ ~$40k/year (3-5 years), and possible fellowships beyond that if you specialize. But to be brutally honest money was never a factor for me, and beyond a certain point it's nothing more than a game.

On your point about the mega-affluent hedge fund manager, I'm always fascinated by what drives these people to make more money once they're far beyond the point of diminishing returns. There's a nice special on CNBC called "untold wealth" that delves into this very issue. In the opening minutes they show I think a CEO worth $50M+ mirroring your sentiments exactly - "I don't need this. I don't need this to live..." It's a quick, 45 minute watch for those interested -

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #223
Nebraska330xi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Definitely the G-wagon. Why? Everyone has a boring M3 and Jeeps are for girls. The G can be taken to the beach, and it's fast.

Hopefully you're talking about the G63 though. Don't pull up looking like a peasant in a G550. That's for farmers.
Haha you had me at farmers.

DIY: Charcoal Delete, K
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #224
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska330xi View Post
Haha you had me at farmers.