E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cranks/no start/ABS light trifecta. (Partially solved)

04-06-2023, 01:41 PM   #23
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Ok ladies and gents, I gathered some more data.

I drove the car around for about 2 hours to waste some gas, here is what I noticed.

It only does the "light show" aka the entire cluster resets when it's sitting still, like at a stoplight, or parked idling. I don't think it happened at all when I was driving.

I went into the secret menu and brought up the battery voltage. Most of the time while I was driving around, or had cruise control on, it was around ~14.2. Once in a while though, it dips down into the 13's. I think 13.3 was the lowest I saw, and it was inconsistent.

When the "light show" happens, it kicks off the battery voltage from the secret menu.

I went into Carly and figured out how to monitor live data on certain things and took a few shots. There is 3 different voltages for the battery on there, and one of them fluctuates into the 13.6 range pretty regularly. I'm not sure what the differences are. Here is some of the data I took.

I'm unsure if those 02 sensor codes could be causing serious issues, but I did just put a header on the car, so maybe one/some of them could have been damaged.

The engine seems like it idles ok, it just has a lot of vibration/chatter from the aluminum single mass flywheel/possibly I need to rotate the driveshaft orientation one more time. I'm wondering if that's why it only freaks out when I'm sitting still possibly.

Here is the info. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by VehementCrom; 04-06-2023 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 09:15 PM   #24
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I threw in a new bosche 180 amp alternator. There was a Valeo in there that was filthy and had been covered in oil, so I thought maybe. Nope.

The car seems pretty normal until you stop at a stoplight, then like clockwork the light show comes on.

The headlights are flickering sometimes and the driver side went out twice now, but comes back on if I turn them off and on.

Back to the drawing board I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 10:20 AM   #25
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by VehementCrom View Post
... The car seems pretty normal until you stop at a stoplight, then like clockwork the light show comes on. The headlights are flickering sometimes and the driver side went out twice now, but comes back on if I turn them off and on...
Can your Carly, or any other Scan Tool/ Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) available to you, do following:

1) Read Fault Codes in ALL Modules? If so, please list All Fault Codes.
2) Read Freeze Frame Data (Snapshot of system conditions, such as voltage, at moment Fault Code saved)? If so, please provide that FF Data for each Fault.

Over-voltage from the Alternator is only ONE of the things that can cause "scrambling" of signals on the bus system. A fault in one of the two bus wires, or at a connector, can also cause what you describe. The CDA8 code is a "Message" or communication code indicating the DME is NOT receiving a proper message from the KOMBI/ Instrument Cluster. Also, the Instrument Cluster receives ALL its signals (except Ambient Temp) via the Bus system, so is good indicator of bus fault when it does weird things.

Reading/ Reporting (1) ALL Fault Codes in ALL Modules (particularly KOMBI, FRM & JBE), and (2) FF Data for EACH of those Fault Codes would likely provide some clues. FF Data is BEST way to get clues on intermittent faults. That data REMAINS in the Module until fault codes are CLEARED, so it's still there waiting for someone with proper Tools to read it.
George
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 11:09 AM   #26
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Can your Carly, or any other Scan Tool/ Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) available to you, do following:

1) Read Fault Codes in ALL Modules? If so, please list All Fault Codes.
2) Read Freeze Frame Data (Snapshot of system conditions, such as voltage, at moment Fault Code saved)? If so, please provide that FF Data for each Fault.

Over-voltage from the Alternator is only ONE of the things that can cause "scrambling" of signals on the bus system. A fault in one of the two bus wires, or at a connector, can also cause what you describe. The CDA8 code is a "Message" or communication code indicating the DME is NOT receiving a proper message from the KOMBI/ Instrument Cluster. Also, the Instrument Cluster receives ALL its signals (except Ambient Temp) via the Bus system, so is good indicator of bus fault when it does weird things.

Reading/ Reporting (1) ALL Fault Codes in ALL Modules (particularly KOMBI, FRM & JBE), and (2) FF Data for EACH of those Fault Codes would likely provide some clues. FF Data is BEST way to get clues on intermittent faults. That data REMAINS in the Module until fault codes are CLEARED, so it's still there waiting for someone with proper Tools to read it.
George
Carly can look at certain things and show freeze frame data, but I only have the free version, might be more of you pay.

It’s 2.99 a month only, but the schtick is you have to pay for 12 months.

Anyways, I might try to download ISTA later today and start trying to figure it out.

I can see FF data for the O2 issues but it doesn’t show the fault data for the other one.

I don’t think I can look at the modules themselves, aside from seeing that they are connected.

I’ll attach some of the FF data I got.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 09:08 AM   #27
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I installed ISTA/INPA, or whatever it’s called on my Laptop. I hooked up my laptop to the car with my bimmergeeks cable, and confirmed it connects to the car.

I’m going to try and get some data today probably.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 07:36 PM   #28
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I installed ISTA/INPA, or whatever it’s called on my Laptop. I hooked up my laptop to the car with my bimmergeeks cable, and confirmed it connects to the car. I’m going to try and get some data today probably.
INPA has MORE Data, but it's in German. We can translate using Google Translate though. ISTA is in English. EITHER will give you what you need to get started:
1) List of Modules (ECU's) in vehicle that are working properly; in INPA, that is: Functional Jobs > F2 Identification
2) List of ALL fault codes in ALL Modules; in INPA, that is: Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules.

I would suggest reviewing the "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" found at the thread linked below, and also the ISTA Fault Memory & Test Plan. Those are pdf's that have sample ScreenPrints, directions on HOW to view, Save & Post ScreenPrints of those screens.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/t...#post-13809917

Much of your Carly data is unintelligible to me. HOWEVER, it appears that the
"Diagnostics Report", 2D2A FF Data or Fault Details, indicates KL87 Voltage at "19". That would appear to suggest at the time that 2D2A Fault Code was saved in DME Fault Memory, the System Voltage measured at Terminal 87, the DME Main Relay, was 19 Volts!!! Anything over 16.0V is "Over-voltage", and that would explain the Instrument Cluster "Light Show", and fact that the Hidden Menu 9.00 System Voltage reading ceases being displayed. Do NOT run the engine until FF Data/ Fault Details are read in the DME.

For NOW, just get codes read, using either INPA or ISTA, SAVE ScreenPrints of those Codes, and the NEXT Step will be to get DME FF Data. I'll post back with directions on HOW to do that after I see your Fault Memory List. Generally, if you are using INPA, you simply connect to the DME at the Script selection box, by selecting Engine > DME (MSV70 for N52) > F4 Fault Memory > F1 Read Fault Memory > F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data.

Save & Post the Screen showing 2D2A FF Data.
George
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2023, 11:08 AM   #29
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think I have the info, but its in German. I'm not really sure how to properly translate this stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw.pdf (143.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf bmw2.pdf (135.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf bmw3.pdf (133.4 KB, 19 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 11:18 AM   #30
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Best I can do….

Last edited by VehementCrom; 05-02-2023 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #31
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bump.

What's the preferred method if posting INPA information, because I have no idea what I'm doing fellas. Those were screenshot through google translate.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 04:37 PM   #32
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is my current FF Error data translated at last.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 11:46 AM   #33
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
INPA has MORE Data, but it's in German. We can translate using Google Translate though. ISTA is in English. EITHER will give you what you need to get started:
1) List of Modules (ECU's) in vehicle that are working properly; in INPA, that is: Functional Jobs > F2 Identification
2) List of ALL fault codes in ALL Modules; in INPA, that is: Functional Jobs > F4 Error Memory, ALL Modules.

I would suggest reviewing the "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" found at the thread linked below, and also the ISTA Fault Memory & Test Plan. Those are pdf's that have sample ScreenPrints, directions on HOW to view, Save & Post ScreenPrints of those screens.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/t...#post-13809917

Much of your Carly data is unintelligible to me. HOWEVER, it appears that the
"Diagnostics Report", 2D2A FF Data or Fault Details, indicates KL87 Voltage at "19". That would appear to suggest at the time that 2D2A Fault Code was saved in DME Fault Memory, the System Voltage measured at Terminal 87, the DME Main Relay, was 19 Volts!!! Anything over 16.0V is "Over-voltage", and that would explain the Instrument Cluster "Light Show", and fact that the Hidden Menu 9.00 System Voltage reading ceases being displayed. Do NOT run the engine until FF Data/ Fault Details are read in the DME.

For NOW, just get codes read, using either INPA or ISTA, SAVE ScreenPrints of those Codes, and the NEXT Step will be to get DME FF Data. I'll post back with directions on HOW to do that after I see your Fault Memory List. Generally, if you are using INPA, you simply connect to the DME at the Script selection box, by selecting Engine > DME (MSV70 for N52) > F4 Fault Memory > F1 Read Fault Memory > F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data.

Save & Post the Screen showing 2D2A FF Data.
George
I'm guessing I might have killed a 130k mile 02 Sensor installing my header.

I'm more concerned about the throttle codes which I read there was a service bulletin for. I never had any issues with it before I took my car apart though.

GBallDrop help
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 06:48 AM   #34
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bump. Guys I have no idea what these codes mean…
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 12:09 PM   #35
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Bump. Guys I have no idea what these codes mean…
Those are SEVEN (7) DME Engine Control Module Fault Codes, INPA Screens showing Freeze Frame Data for EACH. ALL 7 indicate "Fehler momentan NICHT vorhanden" = Fault NOT currently Present.

Since you have INPA, you SHOULD be able to diagnose remaining faults with Forum Help. When you began this thread on 3/30/23, you had a "Crank, NO Start" condition. On 4/4/23 you posted that you had corrected a wiring issue in the E-box. Presumably that issue related to Connector X60001, which affected the PT-CAN bus and resulted in NO communication with the DME.

On 4/6/23, you updated your original post to indicate the vehicle NOW starts and runs. What is NOT clear to me is:

WHAT issues still remain? Do you STILL have the "ABS light trefecta"? Are there OTHER issues?

My suggestion would be to do the following:
1) Describe the performance issues you are CURRENTLY having: (a) Engine performance issues, if any; and (b) other issues, such as warning lights on Instrument Cluster.

2) View/ Save/ Attach ScreenPrints of INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 > F1 Read Fault Memory, ALL Modules (2 screens);

3) If your primary concern is NOW issues with "ABS light trifecta", connect to the DSC Module (Chassis | Dynamic Stability Control) and Read Fault Codes. The Menu Sequence/ Path to view that screen is:
INPA > DSC (Chassis | Dynamic Stability Control) > F4 > F1 Read Error Memory
View/ Save/ Post ScreenPrint of ALL DSC Fault Memory Screens.

4) Since INPA provides mileage/km at which each fault last saved, please indicate your CURRENT mileage/ odometer reading.

5) Don't worry about translating the German -- just post the ScreenPrint as INPA displays it.

With THAT information, we can hopefully focus on (and FIX) ONE fault (or fault group) at a time.
George
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 06:19 PM   #36
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Those are SEVEN (7) DME Engine Control Module Fault Codes, INPA Screens showing Freeze Frame Data for EACH. ALL 7 indicate "Fehler momentan NICHT vorhanden" = Fault NOT currently Present.

Since you have INPA, you SHOULD be able to diagnose remaining faults with Forum Help. When you began this thread on 3/30/23, you had a "Crank, NO Start" condition. On 4/4/23 you posted that you had corrected a wiring issue in the E-box. Presumably that issue related to Connector X60001, which affected the PT-CAN bus and resulted in NO communication with the DME.

On 4/6/23, you updated your original post to indicate the vehicle NOW starts and runs. What is NOT clear to me is:

WHAT issues still remain? Do you STILL have the "ABS light trefecta"? Are there OTHER issues?

1) Describe the performance issues you are CURRENTLY having: (a) Engine performance issues, if any; and (b) other issues, such as warning lights on Instrument Cluster.

2) View/ Save/ Attach ScreenPrints of INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 > F1 Read Fault Memory, ALL Modules (2 screens);

3) If your primary concern is NOW issues with "ABS light trifecta", connect to the DSC Module (Chassis | Dynamic Stability Control) and Read Fault Codes. The Menu Sequence/ Path to view that screen is:

4) Since INPA provides mileage/km at which each fault last saved, please indicate your CURRENT mileage/ odometer reading.

5) Don't worry about translating the German -- just post the ScreenPrint as INPA displays it.

With THAT information, we can hopefully focus on (and FIX) ONE fault (or fault group) at a time.
George
Sorry that I was unclear.

The car currently has 3 issues.

1:The lightshow trifecta. If you turn the ignition on(no engine), it will sit there and chime every 20 seconds/cycle the cluster lights/lose cluster input for everything briefly. It will also do this with the engine running, but only at a stop. The same things happen, the engine will stay running like nothing is going on. If you are moving, it doesn't happen. I went a solid 20 down the interstate, CC on, no lights. I drove around town various speeds, no lights.
Stop at a red light, and they come on like clockwork.

2: The DS headlight flickers and regularly goes out. Turning the lights off/on fixes it. I'm unsure if this is related.

3: When I pulled the driveshaft from the transmission, I didnt know to mark the guibo. I cant tell if I'm having excess vibration from the orientation of the driveshaft, or if a lightweight aluminum flywheel just chatters that damn loud. I tried one other orientation and I have one left to try.

I'm mainly concerned about the light show right now.

I followed the screens into the chassis DSC errors and it said there weren't any.

Once again, I appreciate you helping me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 06:24 PM   #37
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

George
Sorry that I was unclear.

The car currently has 3 issues.

1:The lightshow trifecta. If you turn the ignition on(no engine), it will sit there and chime every 20 seconds/cycle the cluster lights/lose cluster input for everything briefly. It will also do this with the engine running, but only at a stop. The same things happen, the engine will stay running like nothing is going on. If you are moving, it doesn't happen. I went a solid 20 down the interstate, CC on, no lights. I drove around town various speeds, no lights.
Stop at a red light, and they come on like clockwork.

2: The DS headlight flickers and regularly goes out. Turning the lights off/on fixes it. I'm unsure if this is related.

3: When I pulled the driveshaft from the transmission, I didnt know to mark the guibo. I cant tell if I'm having excess vibration from the orientation of the driveshaft, or if a lightweight aluminum flywheel just chatters that damn loud. I tried one other orientation and I have one left to try.

I followed the screens into the chassis DSC errors and it said there weren't any.

I did get a "Versions do not match. Malfunction Possible! SGBD Version:6(In INPA) SGBD Version: 21.00 INPA Version: 4.020" error when trying to look at that stuff though.

Once again, I appreciate you helping me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 07:31 PM   #38
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... My suggestion would be to do the following:
... (b) other issues, such as warning lights on Instrument Cluster.
5) Don't worry about translating the German -- just post the ScreenPrint as INPA displays it...
Quote:
... 1:The lightshow trifecta. If you turn the ignition on(no engine), it will sit there and chime every 20 seconds/cycle the cluster lights/lose cluster input for everything briefly. It will also do this with the engine running, but only at a stop...
Please provide the items listed in my prior post which you didn't address today:
A) List EACH Warning Light that appears on Instrument Cluster when stopped;
B) View/ Save/ Attach ScreenPrints of INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 > F1 Read Fault Memory, ALL Modules (2 screens);
C) Since INPA provides mileage/km at which each fault last saved, please indicate your CURRENT mileage/ odometer reading.
D) Don't worry about translating the German -- just post the ScreenPrint as INPA displays it.

Please see the attached pdf: INPA Tutorial Quickstart for HOW to view the Functional Jobs > F4 > F1 Read Fault Memory, ALL Modules screen.

ALSO, in your 4/11 Post (#26), you showed Carly had read a CDA8 Fault Code indicating the DME had NOT correctly received an expected message from the KOMBI (Instrument Cluster Module). Has THAT CDA8 fault recurred? Is there any fault read in the KOMBI Module?
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (591.1 KB, 13 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 10:10 AM   #39
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Please provide the items listed in my prior post which you didn't address today:
A) List EACH Warning Light that appears on Instrument Cluster when stopped;
B) View/ Save/ Attach ScreenPrints of INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 > F1 Read Fault Memory, ALL Modules (2 screens);
C) Since INPA provides mileage/km at which each fault last saved, please indicate your CURRENT mileage/ odometer reading.
D) Don't worry about translating the German -- just post the ScreenPrint as INPA displays it.

Please see the attached pdf: INPA Tutorial Quickstart for HOW to view the Functional Jobs > F4 > F1 Read Fault Memory, ALL Modules screen.

ALSO, in your 4/11 Post (#26), you showed Carly had read a CDA8 Fault Code indicating the DME had NOT correctly received an expected message from the KOMBI (Instrument Cluster Module). Has THAT CDA8 fault recurred? Is there any fault read in the KOMBI Module?
George
235,981 KM. For some reason my cluster is in KM now instead of miles so that's fun.

As for the 00CDA8 KOMBI error, yes Carly still shows it along with 14 others.

002CF9
002CFA
002D09
002C9F
002F80
0029F4
002DED
00CDA8 (KOMBI)
009CCC
009CCE
009C6C
00A0B2
00E18D
0062DC
00D030 (KOMBI)

Some of those are battery codes but my battery is new. I did leave my parking lights on one day though and the car was dead.

Here is the info you were looking for as far as I can tell, as well as a picture of the cluster lights.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 02:28 PM   #40
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
235,981 KM. For some reason my cluster is in KM now instead of miles so that's fun...
Here is the info you were looking for as far as I can tell, as well as a picture of the cluster lights.
Your INPA Screens (Functional Jobs F4, F! Read Error Memory, ALL Modules shows NO KOMBI (Instrument Cluster) Faults, and NO DSC Faults. So it appears that the Warning Lights on the Instrument Cluster: Brake, ABS, DTC, DSC are NOT actually the result of a Fault in the DSC Module or signals received by it related to Wheel Speed, etc., but rather they are due to faulty K-CAN bus communication between the JBE (Bus Hub) and KOMBI (Instrument Cluster) Module.

I attach (to NEXT POST) ISTA ScreenPrints for your 2005 330i (AZ85827) that show the K-CAN Bus wiring between the KOMBI and JBE, connector locations, & Connector Views, identifying Socket Numbers. Those two wires: (1) Green wire from X11175/6 (Socket #6 of Connector X11175 at rear of KOMBI) to X14272/29 at the JBE (Black Connector), and (2) Orange/Green wire from X11175/7 to X14272/31, carry ALL communications between KOMBI and JBE or other Modules, such as the DME. MOST of the warning Lights are illuminated via signals sent to the KOMBI module via the K-CAN Bus.

You can use INPA to connect to the KOMBI Module (Body | Instrument Cluster), and then Select 'F5 Status' and experiment with Live Data that you can read with Ignition ON (Engine running or NOT running -- doesn't matter). I would encourage you to do that. The "Digital" button tests (F3 Read Digital Status) should FILL the circles while the button is held in an activated position ONLY.

You can't hurt anything "pushing buttons" in F5 Status, as you are just observing the INPUTS received by the KOMBI Module, and you are NOT over-riding DME control, changing any "Settings" in DME, or its Program. Save/Post ScreenPrints of anything that does NOT appear to be working correctly or that you have any questions about. This is basically a TEST to see if normal communications between INPA and KOMBI can be achieved, and you/we will also learn something in the process.

ALSO attached to NEXT POST is an ISTA ScreenPrint showing the DEFINITION of each of the DME Fault Codes your INPA ScreenPrint showed. I would suggest getting MORE Data related to EACH of those Fault Codes, PARTICULARLY CDA8, as follows:
1) Connect to DME (Engine | MSV70 for N52) > F4 > F1 > F3 Read Error Memory with Freeze Frame Data. That INPA screen shows the MOST details related to a particular fault, such as Engine Temp, RPM, Load, System Voltage, etc.

2) View, Save & Post ScreenPrint of that screen for EACH of the DME faults. We are looking for CLUES regarding system conditions at moment fault code was saved.

3) After SAVING all F3 Freeze Frame ScreenPrints, CLEAR the DME Fault Codes and then Start Engine, let it run 5 to 10 minutes, and View/Save a List of any Fault Codes in the DME Module (IF any).

After we see that new data from tests suggested above, we can suggest HOW to access, Clean, & test the K-CAN wiring described above.
George
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 02:31 PM   #41
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints for 2005 330i, per discussion in prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 11:01 AM   #42
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I took a screenshot of the Kombi error.

I then tested the digital buttons, all of 4 them turned black when I pressed the buttons.

After that I cleared the errors and drove around for about 25 minutes.

Two errors were stored, attached are the three screenshots.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 06:45 AM   #43
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bump, here is the data. I will look at the connections today but I am unsure where they all are.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 12:34 PM   #44
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Bump, here is the data. I will look at the connections today but I am unsure where they all are.
There are TWO connectors to check, as described in Post #40:
"I attach (to NEXT POST) ISTA ScreenPrints for your 2005 330i (AZ85827) that show the K-CAN Bus wiring between the KOMBI and JBE, connector locations, & Connector Views, identifying Socket Numbers. Those two wires: (1) Green wire from X11175/6 (Socket #6 of Connector X11175 at rear of KOMBI) to X14272/29 at the JBE (Black Connector), and (2) Orange/Green wire from X11175/7 to X14272/31, carry ALL communications between KOMBI and JBE." The ISTA wiring diagrams, component locations, and Connector views were attached to post #41.

The Connector, X11175, is an 18-pin Connector on the Rear of the KOMBI or instrument cluster. I will attach ScreenPrint of ISTA procedure for removing the instrument cluster to NEXT Post. The OTHER connector, X14272, is the Black Connector on the (vehicle-) rear face (facing the passenger seat) of the JBE Module, below the JB Fuse Panel.

The "Connector View" for each of the two connectors was attached to post #41. There are TWO Pins/Sockets at each connector that you are concerned with:
1) at X11175 (KOMBI): #6, Green wire, & #7, Orange/Green wire.
2) at X14272 (Black Connector at JBE): #29 (Green wire) & #31 (Orange/Green wire).

If there is ANY corrosion or damage to pin or socket at any of those locations, that can prevent proper message/ communication via K-CAN bus between JBE and KOMBI, and the CDA8 DME Fault indicates the DME is NOT consistently receiving expected "message" (via Bus) from KOMBI. Voltage spikes, caused by Alternator/ Voltage Regulator issues can also cause KOMBI "Light show", but there is NO indication of that in your data, so examination of the K-CAN bus wire connections between KOMBI & JBE is indicated.

I would suggest taking photos of the two connector Pins/Sockets if there is any corrosion found/ suspected, and attaching them here. Water leak in passenger footwell commonly causes JBE connector corrosion. We can suggest cleaning methods based on photos, but generally, gentle cleaning with toothbrush and Electronic Contact Cleaner (such as CRC brand, $8 at Walmart) should work.

On May 12, in post #40, I attempted to review this thread and state what appeared to me to be the CAUSE of the "issue" with KOMBI/ Instrument Cluster "light show" or erratic warning lights. Just to make SURE we are on "same page", here is a summary of my concepts from the data you have provided to date:

1) We are focusing ONLY on the KOMBI warning lights which come on "like clockwork" when engine RPM decreases below ~ 1,000 RPM, as when stopped at light. NO "Lightshow" when cruising or even driving around town, UNTIL "stopped". See Post #37 (1).

2) The Fault Code: CDA8 is a code set in the DME Fault Memory, indicating that periodically, there is NO expected message from KOMBI received by the DME Module. That code does NOT indicate a DME fault, but rather an issue with the KOMBI communication with DME, which is via the K-CAN bus (via the JBE Module which is the "HUB" for bus communications.

If anything above is NOT clear, or you need MORE information on anything, please advise.
George
Appreciate 0