E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Anyone DIY Change their transfer case fluid

01-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #111
otto_rockett
Rep
Drives: e90

easy job got it done today if anyone need help dm me
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #112
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

For the adaptation reset / activation on the transfer case after changing the fluid. What does the correct button for that look like in ISTA?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #113
RDavis213
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Posting so that I can ask a question (new member)

This was super helpful!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #114
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangorang View Post
For the adaptation reset / activation on the transfer case after changing the fluid. What does the correct button for that look like in ISTA?
Something like vehicle management -> service functions -> Powertrain -> VTG, you should be able to find it once in there.

BTW, I changed the fluid years back without resetting the adaptations, and I started getting the VTG excessive wear shadow code. So, while resetting the adaptations is not necessary when changing the fluid, and I don't feel any difference before/after changing the fluid, nor before/after resetting the adaptations, might as well do the job properly and reset it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #115
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

This seems to be the most informative thread in regards to the transfer case adaptations, but I did have two quick questions that I haven't found definitive answers on anywhere. I'm chasing down the usual 4x4 dsc lights like so many others.

1) Does the car need to be on or off for the ISTA adaptations reset? I tried to reset with the car on and got a note about "terminal 15", but decided to run the reset anyway...after which the windows started acting funny (Cant roll back up until all the way down? Not my priority right now but worried I fried an FRM module). The terminal 15 could also be due to my dying battery which is getting replaced in a few days.

2) Will the adaptations reset also reset/calibrate the resistor on the actuator motor? When I replaced the worm gear the kit I ordered had a new resistor so I thought it couldn't hurt to put that on. I come to find out most people talk about calibrating that? Any more info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #116
Hayk90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs531 View Post
This seems to be the most informative thread in regards to the transfer case adaptations, but I did have two quick questions that I haven't found definitive answers on anywhere. I'm chasing down the usual 4x4 dsc lights like so many others.

1) Does the car need to be on or off for the ISTA adaptations reset? I tried to reset with the car on and got a note about "terminal 15", but decided to run the reset anyway...after which the windows started acting funny (Cant roll back up until all the way down? Not my priority right now but worried I fried an FRM module). The terminal 15 could also be due to my dying battery which is getting replaced in a few days.

2) Will the adaptations reset also reset/calibrate the resistor on the actuator motor? When I replaced the worm gear the kit I ordered had a new resistor so I thought it couldn't hurt to put that on. I come to find out most people talk about calibrating that? Any more info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I did my ISTA reset with the car in Ignition On mode without starting the engine. That’s the mode when all the warning lights come on the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 11:32 PM   #117
Mendelson
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 328i xDrive N51 L

Whoops for bringing this thread back to life after the OP, buuuut I’ve gone through the reset process after changing the TC oil. It cleared the codes and everything. Took it for a drive on the highway and gears started fluctuating sporadically. For the first 30 minutes it was fine, then it wouldn’t pass 4th gear. Started slowing down and wouldn’t give power even with the pedal to the metal. Kept slowing down. I didn’t really want to get stuck on the highway so I put it into manual gears and when I would switch up a gear to 5th it would act as if I went down into 4th gear and would rev right up to 5 or 6k rpm and no acceleration power. What do to from here? Did I mess something up by going through the proper steps, somehow? Is that even possible? I didn’t do anything extra. Do I need to now change the TC? Mechatronics unit? Transmission fluid?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #118
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Transfercase fluid has nothing to do with the transmission shifting.

Did you bump something while you were under there, or maybe you cleared the transmission adaptations while trying to reset the TC?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #119
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendelson View Post
Whoops for bringing this thread back to life after the OP, buuuut I’ve gone through the reset process after changing the TC oil. It cleared the codes and everything. Took it for a drive on the highway and gears started fluctuating sporadically. For the first 30 minutes it was fine, then it wouldn’t pass 4th gear. Started slowing down and wouldn’t give power even with the pedal to the metal. Kept slowing down. I didn’t really want to get stuck on the highway so I put it into manual gears and when I would switch up a gear to 5th it would act as if I went down into 4th gear and would rev right up to 5 or 6k rpm and no acceleration power. What do to from here? Did I mess something up by going through the proper steps, somehow? Is that even possible? I didn’t do anything extra. Do I need to now change the TC? Mechatronics unit? Transmission fluid?
Are you sure you didn't accidentally drain/fill the transmission fluid instead of the transfer case?
Appreciate 0