E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Cashing/depositing insurance check

11-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #45
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I'm not going to bother reading other posts, but here are the FACTS I can guarantee you.

1. You CANNOT cash out the check without body shop's endorsement.
2. You CAN and SHOULD ask your insurance to adjust your payout amount to meet with your bodyshop's new estimate. And they WILL match it as long as estimate is based solely from the incident.

If you are really short on money right now and need that check, go to your bodyshop and give him $100, and have him sign it. And ask him to deduct that $100 IF you go back to him for the fixing.
If you use up all the money and never fix the car, then you lose $100, but get that check cashed.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #46
EdmJunky
El Jefey
Rep
Drives: 09 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
I'm not going to bother reading other posts, but here are the FACTS I can guarantee you.

1. You CANNOT cash out the check without body shop's endorsement.
2. You CAN and SHOULD ask your insurance to adjust your payout amount to meet with your bodyshop's new estimate. And they WILL match it as long as estimate is based solely from the incident.

If you are really short on money right now and need that check, go to your bodyshop and give him $100, and have him sign it. And ask him to deduct that $100 IF you go back to him for the fixing.
If you use up all the money and never fix the car, then you lose $100, but get that check cashed.
The estimate the original body shop I was going to use was actually significantly higher than the one the insurance company gave me, when I told the insurance company their response to me was that the body shop would work off the check they gave me and any discrepancies would be handled between the shop and the insurance adjuster directly. So the problem being that I can't cover the deductible therefore I can't go to the shop I originally wanted to so I'm forced to work with the check I already have based from the insurance companies inaccurate estimate.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #47
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Sounds like you've stumbled into quite the pickle there, friend.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #48
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfb24 View Post
The estimate the original body shop I was going to use was actually significantly higher than the one the insurance company gave me, when I told the insurance company their response to me was that the body shop would work off the check they gave me and any discrepancies would be handled between the shop and the insurance adjuster directly. So the problem being that I can't cover the deductible therefore I can't go to the shop I originally wanted to so I'm forced to work with the check I already have based from the insurance companies inaccurate estimate.
And unfortunately this is common practice. When I was rear-ended a while back the insurance company (hers) made an initial estimate and cut me a check for that estimate. In my case I own the car with no outstanding liens so no other parties were included as the payee on the check so I immediately deposited the check...

Went to my local BMW certified body shop (not the insurance co.'s approved shop) and they started the work. As expect, once the bumper cover was removed there were additional items to be repair so the body shop contacted the insurance company and they immediately approved the additional repairs and cut a check directly to the body shop...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #49
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Read the damn first post. I can afford the 1,000 however something came up which forced me to USE the money I had for this.
So then you don't have the money to afford for it. Being able to afford it means you have an additional $1000 in the bank to cover it depeche whatever else came up.

But one thing nobody's mentioned yet is if the check is made out to a specific body shop only that shop can endorse your check. You can't shop around to find another shop to sign it, you need the original one the check was cut to or will likely have to request a new check.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #50
EdmJunky
El Jefey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
And unfortunately this is common practice. When I was rear-ended a while back the insurance company (hers) made an initial estimate and cut me a check for that estimate. In my case I own the car with no outstanding liens so no other parties were included as the payee on the check so I immediately deposited the check...

Went to my local BMW certified body shop (not the insurance co.'s approved shop) and they started the work. As expect, once the bumper cover was removed there were additional items to be repair so the body shop contacted the insurance company and they immediately approved the additional repairs and cut a check directly to the body shop...
Yeah sounds like the same boat I'm on. Sucks, but what can I do right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
So then you don't have the money to afford for it. Being able to afford it means you have an additional $1000 in the bank to cover it depeche whatever else came up.

But one thing nobody's mentioned yet is if the check is made out to a specific body shop only that shop can endorse your check. You can't shop around to find another shop to sign it, you need the original one the check was cut to or will likely have to request a new check.
I will be requesting a new check, that's a given so I didn't think I'd have to mention it. But yeah, it shouldn't be an issue to get a new check.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #51
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Quote:
By pickle you mean he's a broke as a joke. Then yes, pickle indeed.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #52
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
I can't be rude on the internet. It's impolite.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #53
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I can't be rude on the internet. It's impolite.
Of course. Good manners are everything on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #54
EdmJunky
El Jefey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #55
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Kudos on having a sense of humor.
Appreciate 0