E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > New Car Advice. What do you think?

12-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #23
reihani
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Verdict:

1)Maserati: The looks and sound of this car really can't justify buying a model that's been out for such a long time. And the technology is outdated. The sat nave is meh. Way better off using your phone. I've been lurking on the Maserati forums and something as simple as connecting your phone to the bluetooth can be a hassle. Love the car, but I know I'll regret it.

2)911S: I've never driven one but will do so soon. I love the looks and I think it's an amazing piece of tech. However its price is very high for a 400hp car. With the options I want (GT3 aero kit, sportplus seats, PDK, red interior) it's going to end up at around 160k.
Big plus is that his has back seats. I know they're useless basically, but for a short trip, you could squeeze some very small ppl in the back.

3)AMG GT S: After seeing the Harris video, this becomes the obvious choice. Sounds and looks amazing. The dual clutch looks to be great, maybe PDK standards good? And the interior is all quality. The prices haven't been released yet but if its on par with the 911, I'll take the AMG in matte Silver with red/black interior. As a BMW fanboy since a very young age, a part of me is bothered that there is nothing they can offer me. I'd take an i8 but can't wait 2 years.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #24
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihani View Post
Verdict:

1)Maserati: The looks and sound of this car really can't justify buying a model that's been out for such a long time. And the technology is outdated. The sat nave is meh. Way better off using your phone. I've been lurking on the Maserati forums and something as simple as connecting your phone to the bluetooth can be a hassle. Love the car, but I know I'll regret it.

2)911S: I've never driven one but will do so soon. I love the looks and I think it's an amazing piece of tech. However its price is very high for a 400hp car. With the options I want (GT3 aero kit, sportplus seats, PDK, red interior) it's going to end up at around 160k.
Big plus is that his has back seats. I know they're useless basically, but for a short trip, you could squeeze some very small ppl in the back.

3)AMG GT S: After seeing the Harris video, this becomes the obvious choice. Sounds and looks amazing. The dual clutch looks to be great, maybe PDK standards good? And the interior is all quality. The prices haven't been released yet but if its on par with the 911, I'll take the AMG in matte Silver with red/black interior. As a BMW fanboy since a very young age, a part of me is bothered that there is nothing they can offer me. I'd take an i8 but can't wait 2 years.

1.) I agree, wouldn't consider it.
2.) This is what I'd go with. I think the optioned Porsche 991 911 C2S will be the best all arounder.
3.) Pricing hasn't officially been released, but by all accounts you're looking at ~$150K for the AMG GT S. In my experience with high powered AMG vehicles, they talk a lot of shit about "race" qualities, but the most talent I've seen from them is their uncanny ability to just go sideways all the time. That's fun on an open track and if the roads where built as such and you were the only one on them...it'd be great.

I'd get the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 06:26 PM   #25
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihani View Post
Verdict:

I totally agree with everything you've said, but you never know how long the wait will be for the AMG GT S at this point too.

In the end, if I had a choice of any car on your list, I would go with the AMG as well.
If you do need a back seat, which the 911 does have, it is totally usable for kids. Just Google it and you'll read plenty posts about how many owners actually use their back seats in the 911. Even Lotus Evora owners put their kids in the back seat without a problem.
Appreciate 0