E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Jalopnik First Drive: AMG GT - More than a 911 fighter

12-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #67
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I'm going to agree. To be able to beat Porsche, you have to be fully vested in actually beating Porsche. I don't think anyone has been able to do that. With the AMG GT, it's a good car but it's still a Mercedes at the end of the day - the focus isn't completely on making a 911-like car. It might do 85 or 90% of what a 911 does but those who want to buy 911's look to have the other 15 or 10%. Each manufacturer will always incorporate their ideals and that's what prevents it from matching or beating a 911.

Take a C-Class for example. It will compete with the 3-Series but it will never be the choice as a more driver-orientated car because it will always have to be a Mercedes first which is luxury and comfort.
Exactly.

Everyone shoots for the 911 because its the bar to which every other car is judged...whether thats against a base 991, a 991S turbo or GT3. The 991 moved the game so far up there are not more than a few cars that can compete with them at any point in the entire line up from the base to the GT3/turbo S.

The other thing people forget is how much Porsche holds back on their cars in a way no one else does.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #68
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

At the end, very few among 911 buyers really know what that car is about. And that goes for all other cars too. People are influenced by brand/image/marketing. They are not rational.

It means nothing x > y. I personally prefer mid-front engine cars, but IMO the AMG GT is really ugly, that is why I rather take a 911.
Appreciate 0