E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Raced an RS4 tonight...Wow I love the 335...

Closed Thread

05-23-2007, 03:47 AM   #23
vAnt826
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I test drove an RS4 and I own a PROcede 335i.

I honestly thought the RS4 still 'felt' faster. It was really a beast.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 05:19 AM   #24
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
humm
I graduated already my man...I am on Wall Street...hence why I am posting at 6:17am right now...you can ask Shiv he knows..

And as for the whole DTC thing you guys are scaring me...read the manual...you are not activating DTC when you press it...you are leaving DSC on and turning DTC off. If you hold the button you are taking both DSC and DTC off hence why you can drive like a maniac. This was the same on my E46 330 as well.
      05-23-2007, 05:37 AM   #25
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep

Willing to bet anyone on the forum that thinks I am wrong about the DTC thing $100 via Paypal lol...PM Me and I will make a video tonight explaining DTC
      05-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #26
BMW320i
Colonel
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 320i

Garage List
2006 320i  [0.00]
im with the OP, i really thought the RS4 would take the 335i w/procede !

and what a great result man! the 335i is truely a beast!

waiting for the videos

19" velocity CSL replicas staggured // Continental sport contact 2: rear: 255/35/19, Front: 235/35/19 // Blacklines // rear OEM spoiler // y-connector // 30% v-kool tint all around // Black Roof/Mirrors // H&R Sport springs // H&R TRAK+ 15mm spacers //
BMW never makes ordinary cars . . .
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 07:23 AM   #27
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1smo View Post
What is even scarier is that you claimed to have read the manual and still don't get it LOL
Hey man...if you still, after watching my video do not agree with me and think I am wrong I don't mind paying you.

Why would it SAY in the manual that if you are going through snow to hit the button? I drove my E46 330 in the snow. I couldnt go up my driveway. What did I do? I hit the DTC button once...it lets the tires spin but keeps the car straight. I was able to drive up my driveway gradually.

I am not by my car right now but here's what you do if you do not wanna wait for my videos tonight. Go inside your car. Press the DTC button. READ what it says. It says DTC inactive DSC active. This means the STABILITY control will keep you straight yet TRACTION control is inactive, letting you spin the tires.

I will post a video of 3 different launches with my car tonight. What you will see will be this...1) Car bogging and traction light flashing slowing the car down. 2) Tapping the DTC button - Car will let the tires spin and you can launch harder but the car will kick in if you move sideways. 3) Holding DTC - This will make the car inactive and fully non intrusive. You can spin the tires, go sideways etc.

If you are by your car right now go OUTSIDE and let me know. It's not like I haven't done this.
      05-23-2007, 07:29 AM   #28
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1smo View Post
Don't be so sure the M3 is going to be heavier than our 335. The M3's V8 is lighter than the I6 in the e46 M3.
That is correct; the '08 M3 will weigh a little less than the 335i; BMW has already released the weight...it's like 3,4xx lbs. I believe, due to the light V8 engine and CF roof, and other CF parts, etc.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #29
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
When you buy an RS4 you are getting Audis flagship sports sedan. When you buy a 335i you are buying a garden variety 3 series.

Reasons why I would take an RS4 over a 335i any day of the week regardless of how much quicker the chipped 335i might be

1. Its very exclusive
2. All wheel drive
3. Outhandles the 335i like nobodys business
4. Has a high revving , powerful, naturally aspirated engine. Sorry guys but the 335i engine is not as thrilling
The Audi RS4 is also a tad slower than a PROcede 335i and costs $20k more. This is a car that's designed to compete against the '08 V8 M3 and MB C63 AMG, not the 335i...it's not even in the same price class as the 335i.

btw -- in regards to #4, I guess you haven't driven a PROcede-equipped 335i, have you? :rocks:

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 07:42 AM   #30
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
The Audi RS4 is also a tad slower than a PROcede 335i and costs $20k more. This is a car that's designed to compete against the '08 V8 M3 and MB C63 AMG, not the 335i...it's not even in the same price class as the 335i.

btw -- in regards to #4, I guess you haven't driven a PROcede-equipped 335i, have you? :rocks:

:rocks: :rocks:
      05-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #31
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straz 335 View Post
Hey man...if you still, after watching my video do not agree with me and think I am wrong I don't mind paying you.

Why would it SAY in the manual that if you are going through snow to hit the button? I drove my E46 330 in the snow. I couldnt go up my driveway. What did I do? I hit the DTC button once...it lets the tires spin but keeps the car straight. I was able to drive up my driveway gradually.

I am not by my car right now but here's what you do if you do not wanna wait for my videos tonight. Go inside your car. Press the DTC button. READ what it says. It says DTC inactive DSC active. This means the STABILITY control will keep you straight yet TRACTION control is inactive, letting you spin the tires.

I will post a video of 3 different launches with my car tonight. What you will see will be this...1) Car bogging and traction light flashing slowing the car down. 2) Tapping the DTC button - Car will let the tires spin and you can launch harder but the car will kick in if you move sideways. 3) Holding DTC - This will make the car inactive and fully non intrusive. You can spin the tires, go sideways etc.

If you are by your car right now go OUTSIDE and let me know. It's not like I haven't done this.
Sorry, but you are incorrect; N1smo and I (and the others) are right...just read my 335i manual about DTC and DSC. N1smo quoted the manual...

"DTC Dynamic Traction Control
DTC is a version of DSC in which the drive output
is optimized for particular road conditions,
e.g. unplowed snow-covered roads. The system
assures the maximal drive output, but with
reduced driving stability. It is therefore necessary
to drive with appropriate caution.
You may find it useful to briefly activate DTC
under the following special circumstances:
> When driving uphill on snow-covered roads,
in slush or on unplowed, snow-covered
roads
> When rocking a stuck vehicle free or starting
off in deep snow or on loose ground
> When driving with snow chains
Activating DTC
Press the button; the indicator lamps for DTC in
the instrument cluster come on.

To control
If the indicator lamp flashes:
DTC controls the drive forces and
brake forces.
If the indicator lamps are on:
DTC has been activated.
Deactivating DTC
Press the button again; the DTC indicator
lamps in the instrument cluster go out."

Now, you may "think" what you're doing by quickly pushing the DTC button, you're turning DTC off, but in fact you're actually turning DTC on...that's why when you did this and tried to go up your driveway in the snow, you could get up there since it gave you better traction and left DSC on (so you don't slide around sideways). You may have still had a little wheel/tires spin, but you would've just be spinning your wheels; without activating DTC, you wouldn't have been able to go up your snowy driveway at all, or at the very least, it would've been more of a struggle.

The only thing we all agree about (and that's true according to the manual) is if you push and hold the DTC button for at least 3 sec., it will in fact turn OFF both DTC and DSC...traction control and stability control are deactivated...not recommended btw.

Also, when the indicator light flashes (not the DTC lamp, but the triangle indicator lamp), it means that DTC is intervening and doing its job...yes, it applies brake forces and drive forces, but ultimately what it's doing is giving you better traction. This is why ppl with PROcede 335i's (including myself) get the best 0-60mph and 1/4 mi. times from a launch by activating DTC (1 quick push of the DTC button), b/c it aids in traction from a standstill and helps you hook up and go, go, go!

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #32
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep

I understand and in no means am I trying to argue with a fellow 335er but why when you tap DTC does it let you launch and spin tires? What are you turning on? You have Idrive right? Go outside and tap DTC...read me what it says...I forget off hand
      05-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #33
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I understand and in no means am I trying to argue with a fellow 335er but why when you tap DTC does it let you launch and spin tires? What are you turning on? You have Idrive right? Go outside and tap DTC...read me what it says...I forget off hand
It might let it spin a little, but that's only b/c you have PROcede with a lot more power; believe me, it would spin A LOT more if you push and hold the DTC button (turning both DTC and DSC off), and that's not b/c DSC is off, since DSC doesn't come in to play at launch from a standstill. If you truned both off, you'd just be spinning from a standstill, and it might take you a couple sec. to hook up (plus, once you get going, you can spin from side to side with DSC deactivated...not a good thing).

Also, don't forget that if you do nothing (do not push the DTC button), both DTC and DSC are in standby or automatic mode, and will automatically activate briefly when the car sense wheel slippage or fishtailing, or whatever.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 08:10 AM   #34
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep

Even before I had PROcede, I would launch aggressively after I tapped the DTC button which would let me spin the tires but keep the car straight.

Turning DSC off completely is definately not safe lol...especially with PROcede
      05-23-2007, 08:17 AM   #35
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

DTC On for BMW (1 fast push of button followed by warning triangle and DTC light on) = Traction Control Off (or reduced) for many other makes.

I guess BMW considers full intervention traction control just standard mode, DYNAMIC traction control allowing more wheel spin a selectable option, and DSC/DTC OFF a rarely selected option.

From Autospies:
"Activation of DTC raises the threshold for intervention by the brakes, enabling the driver of a BMW 3 Series Coupe to set off smoothly on low friction surfaces such as snow. A benefit of DTC for the enthusiast is that it allows slight, easily controllable slip on the drive wheels even on a dry surface."

The question, has anyone figured out how to make the default mode DTC ON? Other than getting into the habit of pressing the button each time.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #36
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep

So am I right or wrong that pressing the DTC button quickly enables better wheel spin to launch? I have to be or I am on crack when I drive...one or the other lol
      05-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #37
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So am I right or wrong that pressing the DTC button quickly enables better wheel spin to launch? I have to be or I am on crack when I drive...one or the other lol
Well, you're right and wrong...pressing DTC 1 quick push (activating DTC) will in fact get you a better launch, but only b/c it's NOT allowing your wheels/tires to spin as much, therefore providing better traction (your tires grab on to the pavement quicker) for a better launch.

I like the explanation that AutoSpies gave (as noted by sdiver68)...

From Autospies:
"Activation of DTC raises the threshold for intervention by the brakes, enabling the driver of a BMW 3 Series Coupe to set off smoothly on low friction surfaces such as snow. A benefit of DTC for the enthusiast is that it allows slight, easily controllable slip on the drive wheels even on a dry surface."

So, in other words, activating DTC manually (so it's not in dynamic or automatic mode) doesn't allow the car to apply braking forces at the same point as it would if it were on auto or dynamic mode; yes, your tires will still spin a bit, but actually less b/c it's NOT applying the brakes quite so soon...it hooks up faster b/c DTC is actually activated and put into a different mode.

As sdiver said, many ppl wish that DTC would default in this activated mode upon car start, but unfortunately, it's defaulted in the Dynamic or Auto mode, just like DSC. In order to put it into this mode, you always have to push the DTC button to turn DTC on. For me, I just leave it in the auto mode, unless I've been challenged at a light or something...that's when I give the DTC button 1 quick push, b/c I know I'll get a better launch that way.

Last edited by sflgator; 05-23-2007 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #38
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Well, you're right and wrong...pressing DTC 1 quick push (activating DTC) will in fact get you a better launch, but only b/c it's NOT allowing your wheels/tires to spin as much, therefore providing better traction (your tires grab on to the pavement quicker) for a better launch.
But how could that be? How could it not let your wheels spin as much? If you leave it stock, you cant spin the wheels at all without the traction light flashing in your face?
      05-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #39
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
But how could that be? How could it not let your wheels spin as much? If you leave it stock, you cant spin the wheels at all without the traction light flashing in your face?
In Auto (or "Dynamic" DTC mode), it will apply braking force when it encounters wheel/tire spin sooner than when you manually activate DTC. The flashing triangle indicator light you see is when it's in this auto mode and it's telling you that DTC came on to counteract your wheel/tire spin...it's probably applying brake and drive forces to control the wheel spin. I'm not sure that activating DTC would help much from a roll; it seems to aid mainly from a launch.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #40
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

The new RS5 is going to own...whether it be the e92 m3 or a proceded 335
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #41
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep

If it makes it to the US
      05-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #42
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Thats cuz the S54 is a cast iron block
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 12:20 PM   #43
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
I graduated already my man...I am on Wall Street...hence why I am posting at 6:17am right now...you can ask Shiv he knows..

And as for the whole DTC thing you guys are scaring me...read the manual...you are not activating DTC when you press it...you are leaving DSC on and turning DTC off. If you hold the button you are taking both DSC and DTC off hence why you can drive like a maniac. This was the same on my E46 330 as well.
Dude, how can you say you are turning DTC off by pressing the DTC button once...when iDrive clearly says: "DTC ACTIVATED, DSC Limited!"

DTC is a subprogram of DSC. By pressing DTC once you are restricting DSC by allowing more tire spin. More tire spin means more traction... so now you are more likely to get more traction....Get it now?

05-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #44
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep

My point more or less was that the car interferes LESS when you tap the DTC button, which it does
Closed Thread