E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Post your FICO (credit) scores!

03-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #23
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

That is so weird. A prince from Nigeria recently asked me all the same questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #24
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I'm kind of curious but what is everyone's mother's maiden name? How about their favorite hobby, high school mascot, where they went to high school, where they went to elementary school, first car, and where they were born?
Haha, amazing...

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #25
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
I'm kind of curious but what is everyone's mother's maiden name? How about their favorite hobby, high school mascot, where they went to high school, where they went to elementary school, first car, and where they were born?
A federal prosecutor I know that practices in cyber crime once told me that the best way to prevent identity theft or online security breaches is to . . .

. . . put completely false information down for those answers. Most things like your mother's maiden name, your high school, etc. are capable of being tracked down easily online.

That's my tip o' the day.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #26
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

2. But I'm shooting for 4.
      03-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #27
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
A federal prosecutor I know that practices in cyber crime once told me that the best way to prevent identity theft or online security breaches is to . . .

. . . put completely false information down for those answers. Most things like your mother's maiden name, your high school, etc. are capable of being tracked down easily online.

That's my tip o' the day.
It's frustrating when sites force you to use those. They really should be optional.

If a site asks me for 3 security questions, I now have manage 4 passwords for that site. It becomes a PITA.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #28
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

I'm usually pretty high on google, but some of their security policies have been absolutely infuriating lately.

Apparently with gmail they won't let you use an old password. I've used my current gmail password for years. One day I changed it as an experiment (don't ask) only to find that gmail won't let me change my password back. So I had to modify it slightly and it's a pain in the ass to remember.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #29
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX
I'm usually pretty high on google, but some of their security policies have been absolutely infuriating lately.

Apparently with gmail they won't let you use an old password. I've used my current gmail password for years. One day I changed it as an experiment (don't ask) only to find that gmail won't let me change my password back. So I had to modify it slightly and it's a pain in the ass to remember.
Passwords should be changed for anything important. Look into two-factor auth with google and 'last pass' for password mgmt.
      03-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #30
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman311 View Post
Passwords should be changed for anything important. Look into two-factor auth with google and 'last pass' for password mgmt.
I agree. I use 1Password on all my devices (Win/Mac/IOS).
https://agilebits.com/onepassword

It's expensive but once you use it, you'll never go back to remembering individual passwords. I have 12-16 character random passwords for everything.

I like 1Password because it has really good browser plugins, dropbox integration, etc. If the price is too much, there are plenty of free alternatives.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #31
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

03-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #32
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post

Quote:

It's expensive but once you use it, you'll never go back to remembering individual passwords. I have 12-16 character random passwords for everything.

I like 1Password because it has really good browser plugins, dropbox integration, etc. If the price is too much, there are plenty of free alternatives.
Last pass is free so that was my appeal. . A lot of the other security guys also recommended it.

Honestly the research shows that long passwords, not complicated ones are more secure. Short ones probably already have rainbow tables created and password crackers account for special characters replacing real ones.
      03-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #33
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Last pass is free so that was my appeal. . A lot of the other security guys also recommended it.

Honestly the research shows that long passwords, not complicated ones are more secure. Short ones probably already have rainbow tables created and password crackers account for special characters replacing real ones.
That was more directed to Nemesis but I quoted you for consistency.

Last Pass is one of best free alternatives. I know some people that also use KeePass. Last Pass looks much more polished though. One thing I don't like about Last Pass is the subscription fee for mobile. 1Password is expensive but once you buy it, it's yours.

And what you said regarding long passwords is half correct. You want long password AND a large character set(complicated). For example a 22 character numeric pin isn't as strong as an 11 character alphanumeric password w/ special characters.

Edit: I just realized your comment was in regards to rainbow tables. For that, I agree assuming your password is also random.

Last edited by Devious21; 03-16-2014 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #34
BenchRacerYo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT

My friends mother has a 960. She went to get a cayenne financed and the owner came out to tell her she has the highest credit score he has ever seen.
      03-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #35
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchRacerYo View Post
My friends mother has a 960. She went to get a cayenne financed and the owner came out to tell her she has the highest credit score he has ever seen.
Your friend is full of sh*t. The highest FICO score you can get is an 850.

There is a more obscure credit scoring system called VantageScore that used to range from 500-960, but even they revamped their system last year to the 300-850 range. Its also calculated differently than FICO so comparing the two is meaningless.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #36
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post

There is a more obscure credit scoring system called VantageScore that used to range from 500-960, but even they revamped their system last year to the 300-850 range. Its also calculated differently than FICO so comparing the two is meaningless.
Exactly
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #37
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:

Hell, the formulas are different even within the three "fico" scores. I checked mine a couple of weeks ago out of boredom (note: please don't do this, it's a waste of money) and was somewhat surprised to see my transunion score a full 42 points lower than my experian score which could potentially matter although it probably doesn't because after some threshold score (in the mid 700s I think?) having a higher fico score literally does not matter. Lenders will offer you the best rates after 750 or so.

I think this usnews article on "near perfect" fico scores says it best -

Quote:
Consumers with an 800 or higher credit score should be content, Weston says, as gaining bragging rights are arguably the only benefit of climbing to the top of the ladder. She says telling a friend you have an 830 FICO score will likely yield limited praise: "How lovely for you. How about them Dodgers?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post

Yeah that seems really useful! I'll definitely look into it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #38
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Parent's house 14 years old

011-42-9843
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #39
BossSauce
Rep
Drives: 545i

how bout no
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #40
BenchRacerYo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki
Quote:

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering why she would lie to me (she told me this herself) when she's living in a 5+ Million dollar home and has nothing to lie about, really.
      03-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #41
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Good enough to get .9% from BMWFS and a 4.186% mortgage. I don't know if it's the best rates but I was pleased enough to sign
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #42
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:

I've learned from another thread that there is a thing called FICO Auto-enhanced score, which dealers use, that I believe goes above 900 although I don't recall what the highest number is.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #43
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
I've learned from another thread that there is a thing called FICO Auto-enhanced score, which dealers use, that I believe goes above 900 although I don't recall what the highest number is.
The FICO auto scores simply place a higher weight on your previous auto loan history compared a normal FICO. It uses a 350-850 score range vs a normal 300-850 FICO range.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #44
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Oh yeah? Well my friends mom is hotter than your friends mom.

Also, I have a 961 Fico score.
Appreciate 0